Bull sharks at Chumphon Pinnacle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting news...I wonder where they go when they "grow-up." Do they stay in deeper water in the gulf or head out to the open waters outside the gulf?

Don't care,long as they don't bite me.

We certainly don't see them mid-gulf on the wrecks we dive. There again we don't see the Tigers and Hammerheads that the fishing boats catch until they're hanging on the pier.

Perhaps they hang around the gas platforms and eat scraps etc.....

jamie

Dived there at the end of October 2007. Visibility poor, 7m, due to the bad weather. But did see 1 shark. Wasn't around long enough to tell if it was Bull or Reef, sorry....

Probably one of those scenarios where people who know haven't asked too many questions or simply wanted to believe they were diving with grey reef sharks and not bulls. Those who didn't know accepted what they were told.

I for one am even keener to dive there now knowing they are Bulls. Not everyday you get to dive with what is apparently the most aggressive shark on the face of the planet. As long as I am in a decent size group and vis is good I don't see any issues really. After all if you checkout the international shark attack file there has only been 1 recorded fatal shark attack in Thailand since 1580, so I think we are all pretty safe! Check it out here: Map of Asia's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

key word is 'unprovoked'

I know of lots of provoked attacks, even one fatality off Songkla when a fisherman was cutting a tiger from a net when another one bit his arm and leg off. He bled to death on he deck of the gas company support vessel that tried to give help - I got sent the pictures

there was another baby tiger ( 6ft) that bit a fisherman in very shallow water off the beach on Samui when it got caught in a net - he was ok, though, and even managed to land the shark with a mangled leg.

saying all that, i'd rather face an angry tiger shark underwater than a Samui speedboat captain who's late for his lunch

Thanks Jamie, my self reassurance is now not so reassuring...anyone for chess?

Very interesting news...I wonder where they go when they "grow-up." Do they stay in deeper water in the gulf or head out to the open waters outside the gulf?

Good to see you on SB Jonnie B. I meeting Marc later tonight.

They're still there. I just saw them yesterday when diving on Chumpon Pinnacle early in the morning. There was five or six of them and what a great dive that was! :14:

we were there mid jan and after our 1st dive during SI we saw a big splash and headed to the sun deck to take a look. About 20m away was a shark at the surface fro about 10 mins anyway that was def a grey.

On our next dive we were about 23m down when we saw something come in from the blue at about 15m, it never got too close but it looked dif to the 1st one to me. Back on board half the group thought it was a bull (which was on my mind) and the other half a grey!! We need photos to confirm i think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom