Bull Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on Bull Sharks in the Cooper River (Charleston, SC)? We have been diving there and I may have seen (from the shore) a young one at the surface of the water. I would just as soon not see a big one in an area where you have less than 5ft of visibility (as the Cooper is a black river dive). Also, any ways to diminish the opportunities of having a problem with one.
Thanks,

Jay, I've spent numerous hours in the Cooper and have wondered about them also, but haven't seen them, nor have heard any reports from any divers over the years. Last summer, while spearfishing off the coast of Chas we had a rather serious run-in with bull sharks, no one hurt but they got our attention. I suspect what you saw in the Cooper was a large catfish or carp....but then there is the possibility...........

Wayward Son:
Bulls can live in fresh water just fine, they've been seen as far inland as Chicago.
As Waywardson said-if that river flows into the ocean and there are bull sharks around that area-I would be suprised if they weren't in the river. They have been clearly documented swiiming up the Mississippi River at least as far as St.Louis,and I wouldn't be suprised(though I don't know for sure about making it to Chicago) if as Waywardson says,one bull shark made it even further north-this is just the nature of this shark all over the world...Peace...Saildiver

I might be mistaken about Chicago, but it's a long damn ways inland. FWIW, a guy watched his dog get eaten by one in the Mississippi river in Memphis, TN, just last year.

I don't fear sharks in general. There are 2 primary situations in which you need to fear the 3 dangerous sharks. If you are on top of the water ie, surfing, boogieboarding. (You look like food) Or 2) Murky water they can't easliy identify you. Chances are you won't have a run in but if there are a lot visiting the area you are in a dangerous situation.

Bull sharks can survive for 5 years in fresh water. They are also called the "Zambesie Shark" due to there tendency to frequent the Zambesie River in Africa.

I have done some research on them and I have read that they have been seen in Illnois in the Mississippi, they have poor visibility, and tend to bit and ask questions later. I do try not to look like food or wear any shiny jewelry, but in less than 5 ft of visibility, it does not take much to get startled. I had a friend who went to move a log in the Cooper but it wasn't a log...it was an alligator. And it does not take any effort to get lost from your buddy. You almost need to be tethered together to keep from getting lost, especially while looking for teeth.

We are also looking to dive in the Edisto River as some teeth have been found there. does anyone have any ideas as to Bull Shark sitings in this area?

Also, any really good spots to find teeth in this area?

By the way, thanks for all the input and responses.

hello all
just to take out some conclusions, do bull shark travel alone? 2? groups?
clear waters
jb

jb_amphibious:
hello all
just to take out some conclusions, do bull shark travel alone? 2? groups?
clear waters
jb
Yep.
Depends on their mood and how you hold your mouth.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom