Bull Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep near shore doesn't necessarily equate volcanic. The Gulf off of the coasts of Mississippi and Louisiana can get deep, over 200', within a couple miles.

I know of Bull Shark sightings on the Flower Gardens which is a Salt dome in 80-100+ feet of water over 100 miles off the Texas coast.

TwoBit

jb_amphibious:
200' range = 200' depth?
this sharks are coastal and a 200' depth near coast, probably only in a vulcanic coast.
can you confirm that that area in the mexican gulf is vulcanic?
clear waters
jb

About 31 miles south of Pensacola is the Desoto Canyon where the bottom drops off to about 600 fsw. I don't think its vulcanic, but part of the Continental Shelf, and I don't know if bulls are seen there since it isn't dived regularly, but I would say that 31 miles is pretty close to the coast.

Agreed. They had to get there somehow.... What I meant by big blue is that they are not ocean going (like Mako for instance) and troll the high seas. But you are right travel habits are not known of many sharks.

saildiver:
Bull sharks are regularly seen at Cocos Islands,Mapelo Islands,and the Socorro Islands-each Island group about 300 + miles from the mainland-they had to get there some how :wink: and we really don't know how deep they were swimming on the way...Peace...Saildivers.

Bull sharks are being blamed for two of the three attacks in Fla.this past week. All were in shallow water. I read a letter to the editor in the Miami paper this week by a lady who was snorkeling in the Keys when she was approached by what she believed to be a bull shark. She writes that rather than panicking and swimming away, she lowered her body below the surface so the shark could identify her and when it did (as something other than its usual dinner fare) it left. This raises a question in my mind. Are there accounts of sharks attacking divers or do they usually (always) attack humans who are at the surface?

Usually shark attacks occur when this is present:

-'Clouds' of baitfish.
-Murky water
-When the person is on something that disguises who you are. Floating on a surfboard a person looks a whole lot like a seal. A seal = lunch.
-When the shark is threatened by a person (The 'Don't know what it is? Poke it with a stick' mentality, and the 'Gaa! It's Jaws! Kill it!' mentality.)

jb_amphibious:
200' range = 200' depth?
this sharks are coastal and a 200' depth near coast, probably only in a vulcanic coast.
can you confirm that that area in the mexican gulf is vulcanic?
clear waters
jb
The Gulf is not volcanic, and in most places the 200' bottom is at least 20 miles offshore. This (close to shore) perception is not what I've seen in the Gulf of Mexico. There is routine diving on rigs over 30 miles offshore and Bulls are common. Any Florida middlegrounds spearos here? I imagine y'all see 'em out there too.
I'd bet that most anyplace and any depth you're likely to dive as a recreational diver you're in some Bull's backyard.
Rick

Wayward Son:
"Spearfishermen" = divers who use spearguns to spear fish. Bull sharks like to try and eat the fish we spear, it can make for some exciting disputes over who gets lunch.

thanks
clear waters
jb

Wayward Son:
I know in most of europe, spearing is limited to free diving only. Here in the states, it's legal on scuba as well.

that´s correct, underwater "hunting" is not autorised with scuba tanks, only in apnea mode, at least arround here (portugal).
clear waters
jb

TwoBitTxn:
Deep near shore doesn't necessarily equate volcanic. The Gulf off of the coasts of Mississippi and Louisiana can get deep, over 200', within a couple miles.

I know of Bull Shark sightings on the Flower Gardens which is a Salt dome in 80-100+ feet of water over 100 miles off the Texas coast.

TwoBit

let me clarify the location i'm talking about.
in são tomé island (arquipelago in the guine gulf - west africa coast), volcanic island, the coast is in majority rock (volcanic).
is the west parte of the island i made a depth research, to a refinary implantation, for an oil company and found this: 20 feet from shore - depth 1.123 feet (registered by a manual conducted depth probe with multisignal - lateral and vertical - capture).
my first issue was to gather the maximum info that could confirm my view at 193' depth and far from the coast 15 miles, on the south coast of the single island located south os são tomé - rolas island. And by the way i'm talking about equatorial waters, in a place that currents north and south make it's confluence.
i know that bull shark is mainly coastal - 15 miles is not so near?!? agree?
i read that they mainly walk arround in shallow waters.
a pair of them at that depth was a one time view and considering the water visibility at that dive i had some doubts about the specie, but they were sharks.
Salt dome??? = ............
I foind almost sure that were bulls, joining the data from you all.
clear waters.
jb

Back
Top Bottom