Bummer day in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys I'm in Cozumel, and yesterday I did the dumbest thing. I was testing out my housing after cleaning the oring, and I forget that I didn't have it clip on. so when I finished checking it out I let go of it. It was a few moments later before I realised what I had did, and of course I tried looking for it but to no avail. What a dumb thing to do, but at least I still have the C5050 camera. I just hope I can find a new housing at a decent price.

At least the dive op I'm using is going to let me use one of their digital cameras for at least one day hopefully more.

That sucks! Enjoy your trip.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Glad you found a system to use/hire until you get your replacement (you were insured?) Look forward to seeing the pictures!

And for everyone...lanyards/clip systems are not decoration. If you are not on the boat or dry land then that lanyard (etc) must be around your wrist (attached)! We had a client a couple of weeks ago lose a camera (we did S&R and actually found it!) because of not having the lanyard on...

After dropping my rig one day (I was on the bottom so it wasn't a big deal) simply by spacing off getting too involved watching some action, I now have checking the lanyard is secure as part of my procedure BEFORE I move from the boat/decend.

Yours is a timely reminder and hopefully you have helped stop it happening to someone else!

Hi, I have been looking all day at web sites selling the Olympus PT-015 housing (sigh) and I found the best price at Sam's club for 142$ plus shipping and at datavisioncomputer.com for 149$ and 11.00 shipping.

Did you drop the camera diving into the abyss or snap off a piece cleaning it on land? Regardless, best luck in finding a replacement.

Oh Man....what can I say?!? Bet you only do it once!

Like Alcina, I don't decend or get away from the boat until I have double/triple checked that the coiled lanyard is attached to me.

BTW....how's the new gear working out?

Maaaaan! that sucks! But as you say, lucky you didn't have the camera in it. Here's hoping that your pics turn out just as good with the rental camera.

Oh, a little ray of light. We went diving off the west shore and guests had lost their UW camera at the end of the dive. Even after a surface check we couldn't find it. We dove the same spot on the next day and on the 2nd dive the captain heard something bumping against the boat, he looked and it was the camera.....The current brought it back to us. Lucky people, as they were on the boat with us:D...Go back tomorrow! Good luck!

Aloha,
Lisa

Dee:
Oh Man....what can I say?!? Bet you only do it once!

Like Alcina, I don't decend or get away from the boat until I have double/triple checked that the coiled lanyard is attached to me.

BTW....how's the new gear working out?

I was doing a shore dive to test the housing, and it was bouyant(no added weight). So I unclipped it and played around with it for a bit. I just had a mental lapse about it not being clipped, and let go of the camera. Unfortunately it was a few minutes later before I realised my costly mistake. I just finished ordering the brand new housing on ebay for $159. Considering how hard it is to find this housing much less at a decent price I jumped on it. I will not make this mistake again.

New gear worked out great. SS BP and wings worked great with steel LP95's in saltwalter, and was way to heavy in the Cenotes with LP steel 80's.

Greg

DiverG:
Hi guys I'm in Cozumel, and yesterday I did the dumbest thing. I was testing out my housing after cleaning the oring, and I forget that I didn't have it clip on. so when I finished checking it out I let go of it. It was a few moments later before I realised what I had did, and of course I tried looking for it but to no avail. What a dumb thing to do, but at least I still have the C5050 camera. I just hope I can find a new housing at a decent price.

At least the dive op I'm using is going to let me use one of their digital cameras for at least one day hopefully more.

Is there any empty space in that camera housing even when the camera is in it? I wedged a couple of small pieces of styrofoam in mine (I have a Canon S50) to make sure it was buoyant when open and empty. I dropped mine once as well, but was lucky enough to grab it in time.

Back
Top Bottom