Bumphead Parrot Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimA

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Where in Thailand is the best place to see Bumphead Parrot Fish?
Are there heaps of them there? Where?
Is a huge group called a school or a herd?
I have been diving in the Banyaks Islands, North Sumatra and they are everywhere.
I believe someone told me the presence of Bumpheads is a good sign for a reef.
It is really impresive to be surrounded by 12 1.2meter bumpheads.

Thanks

At Blouder City I see them quite often, big schools.

Last year we had a couple here at Kata Beach as well. Surprising, since there were only a few and not the school you normally see.

Been a few years since I dived there, but saw a big school of bumpheads in the Surin Islands at Koh Torinla. Only place around here that I ever saw more than 1 or 2.

Otherwise, Sipadan - nice big school there swims along the dropoff.

Koh Rang! The two little rocks sheltered behind it (weather was terrible - so dive sites in short supply). I had just turned off my camera to head back to the boat when he came past, got some shots of him but they are not the best.

Think you had a stroke of good luck there, you dont see too many around this area. Not been myself for a few weeks but can imagine the conditions, sounds pretty normal down there for the time of year.
Hopefully one day I will have the same good fortune.

Where in Thailand is the best place to see Bumphead Parrot Fish?
Are there heaps of them there? Where?
Is a huge group called a school or a herd?
I have been diving in the Banyaks Islands, North Sumatra and they are everywhere.
I believe someone told me the presence of Bumpheads is a good sign for a reef.
It is really impresive to be surrounded by 12 1.2meter bumpheads.

Thanks

I think the best chance of seeing Bumpheads is in The Surin Islands (Koh Torinla especially). Sometimes you can see small schools of up to 10-15 animals or so "grazing" the reef. There's also a chance of seeing them in the Similan Islands (Sharkfin Reef and Boulder City) but it's often just one or two large individual animals you will see there.

"grazing" the reef

Headbutting table corals and smashing them to pieces.. bumpheads should shot on sight! Long time since I dived at Koh Torinla, used to go there on The Junk.. very few boats went there and it was the best dive site!

Headbutting table corals and smashing them to pieces.. bumpheads should shot on sight! Long time since I dived at Koh Torinla, used to go there on The Junk.. very few boats went there and it was the best dive site!

Torinla's reef was damaged during the tsunami but fish-life is still great!
Don't know about shooting bumpheads for thrashing hard coral; I would rather shoot divers with their hands and feet all over the reef!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom