Bumphead Parrot Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were times when I was on the liveaboards all the time that I wanted to apply for the job of "Reef Guard". Cruise the Similans, dive in, check on divers behaviour, slap down anyone who touches the reef, speargun any photographer who kneels on the coral to get a better angle...

A fellow instructor swears he saw one at Japanese Gardens, Koh Tao, today. Just off the wreck. However, I did not see it myself.
BTW, the wreck seems to have turned around or otherwise we might have been narked at Japanese Gardens... :blinking:

There were times when I was on the liveaboards all the time that I wanted to apply for the job of "Reef Guard". Cruise the Similans, dive in, check on divers behaviour, slap down anyone who touches the reef, speargun any photographer who kneels on the coral to get a better angle...

It's been for me those so-called "professional photographers" that got on my nerves. Some with thousands of dives under their belt and still giving the reef a good thrashing when in "photo-mode" and on top of that relentlessly abusing the creatures too.....

A fellow instructor swears he saw one at Japanese Gardens, Koh Tao, today. Just off the wreck. However, I did not see it myself.
BTW, the wreck seems to have turned around or otherwise we might have been narked at Japanese Gardens... :blinking:

Maybe the bumphead bumped the wreck around a bit?

I did heaps of dives to Tornila.
Saw Mantas,Napoleans, sharks but never saw Bumpheads.
Now I am seeing Bumpheads with regularity.
Schools of 12-15 1-1.5 m fish.
Surfers waiting for waves can see them cruising underneath and hear them bumping coral and chewing.
I should probably post this in another (maybe Indo forum) but my diving roots are Thailand. (Bowmouth could U send me a couple bottles of Nam Pla, I have only one bottle left :rofl3:)
Anyways some marine biologist says its not a good sign for a reef to have so many bumpheads, But I figure they are a plentiful (here) threatened species that eat coral and make the most beautiful sand beaches with their poop so it can't be too bad.
Anyways if anyone knows more about this bumphead situation in relation to the health of reefs, I would surely appreciate it.

Aloha

I did heaps of dives to Tornila.
Saw Mantas,Napoleans, sharks but never saw Bumpheads.
(Bowmouth could U send me a couple bottles of Nam Pla, I have only one bottle left :rofl3:)

I've seen the bumpheads at Torinla mostly on late afternoon dives cruising the reef on the East side.

I hope you are enjoying the surf in Sumatra, Naiharn is all choppy and not much good this week.

I could send you some "nam-pla" but worry the postman won't deliver the smelly stuff....

Be safe and have fun!

:bump:

Torinla's reef was damaged during the tsunami but fish-life is still great!
Don't know about shooting bumpheads for thrashing hard coral; I would rather shoot divers with their hands and feet all over the reef!!!!

Again I must agree with you, how stupid to suggest shooting a creature that is natural to the marine environment.

Glad you are enjoying Indo Mr. Tim.

Bumpheads are great. I have only seen them in ones or twos in Thailand. Saw lots of them snorkelling in the Perhentians in June.

I don't know if its a good sign for the reef if they are about though.

Despite suggestions of shooting these creatures. I dare say they are less harmfull to reef's than divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom