Bungee straps on old Jet / Rocket fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster59

Contributor
Reaction score
Old fin, 30" bungee, 7" bike inner tube. Thread the bungee on 1 side, make 3 loops. Go up, then down through the loops. Work the knot tighter and move knot / buckle where it needs to go. Adjust bungee length and tighten knot. Swim every day with this, I replace bungee every year or so, $3 for the bungee cord for a pair of fins at the hardware store. I would use new and proper rubber straps for a surf entry.

fin1.jpg fin2.jpg fin3.jpg fin4.jpg fin5.jpg fin6.jpg

You mean, I bought the last set of plain replacement straps for Rocket Fins that was ever made?
I shoulda bought two?

The straps don't really wear out, that steel bar with sharp edges just eventually cuts them. Must get out Mr. Dremel and fix that one day.

DIY is all about doing more with less, or improving on OEM, or even personal preference.
You know, building something that doesn't exist and have it function.
Some get it, some don't.
I both get it and have a pair of garage sale rockets that are going to get this mod.(well, my version) no purchases needed.
Cheers, and thanks!

I've used bungees for years with no problem. They're not only cheaper than replacement straps or springs but I've never had one break. Rather than tie a knot with them in the metal loop I simply run the end through once and zip tie the bungee to itself.

I've used bungees for years with no problem.
I need longer springs on my F1's but I like the bungee idea better. Do you use just ordinary auto parts store bungee cords or is this marine grade bungee like Bungee Cord ? What's the best diameter to use?

I need longer springs on my F1's but I like the bungee idea better. Do you use just ordinary auto parts store bungee cords or is this marine grade bungee like Bungee Cord ? What's the best diameter to use?
I use the thick bungee from auto parts stores. It's really easy to use a single finger to put your fins on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom