Buoyancy, trim AND list control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B:
he he he ... does the Collective wish to make a pact :D

We smokem peace pipe. :wink:

Ok .. if weighted close to correct .. then only small amount of air in wing .. when your horizontal, air spreads out, over entire wing .. when pitched down in front, air moves to back of wing , you are now stable slightly nose down ... move nose up, and air moves to front of wing, you are now stable slightly nose up .. move horizontal again, wait for air to redistribute and wallah .. stable in horizontal attitude :) ... now if I can just get control of that 10lb rock on my back :D

I didn't know that was a trick, DB.

I know how to do the roll-on-your-back-to-the-right burp your Zeagle trick. :D

TheRedHead:
I didn't know that was a trick, DB.

I know how to do the roll-on-your-back-to-the-right burp your Zeagle trick. :D
luckily I don't have to burp a Zeagle ... yours, or otherwise :D

TheRedHead:
I don't know that trick..:huh:
It pretty much happens automatically most of the time. That's why I specified "with empty wing" in my post above where I said that a BP flips me face up. With a bit of air in the wing, the whole assembly becomes more like a blimp with the wing (actually the center of buoyancy) up high, and the weight (center of mass) below, and it doesn't try to flip me. Of course, air can't always move to the high spot. For example, it can't just jump from the the left bottom of a horseshoe wing to the other side, so in some cases you have do the underwater hula dance. Other than that, it's automatic.

Air in a partially inflated BCD or wing will move to the high spot and stay there. It adds stability. That's why, if you get reasonably close to proper weight placement, you can roll, pitch and yaw to any and all positions and stay stuck in that position.

Charlie99:
It pretty much happens automatically. That's why I specified "with empty wing" in my post above where I said that a BP flips me face up. With a bit of air in the wing, the whole assembly becomes more like a blimp with the wing (actually the center of buoyancy) up high, and the weight (center of mass) below, and it doesn't try to flip me.

I never had that problem until I dove double E7-100s with a Dive Rite Super Wing (77 lbs of lift). Then I truly felt as if I were steering a blimp.

I found that when my wing is empty, I turtle onto my back. If add a tiny bit more weight so that I have some air in my wing, I stay prone.

Also, air can get trapped in one side of the wing versus the other side. When I list one way or the other, I just roll onto my side to shift air to the other side of the wing. Listen for the bubbles shifting. Repeat until you are trimmed prone without a list to the left or right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom