Business trip to Santa Barbara

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.Bigg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I may be going to Santa Barbara for business this month and was wondering if it would be feasible to fit in a dive, perhaps to the channel islands. I've only been diving in the caribbean so I guess I am used to one stop shops were I can show up a shop with a mask and fins and be out on a boat that morning for a quick two tank dive for like $80-100 gear included.

From a bit of googling, the only diving I've seen seems to be on a grander scale (big, slow boats with showers, amenties, no gear included and costs lots of money). While I am not opposed to spending a bit more than I'm used to, perhaps you guys can help me out whether or not what I am looking for is even feasible:

I'd like to:
Show up at a dive shop Wednesday morning, July 21st. Most notice I could give would be the night before.
Do at least two dives.
Be back by at most 5 in the afternoon.
Rent any gear I need past mask and fins. (I have a 3mm suit, but I am guessing that won't cut it)
Come out for under $120

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Yes - you will need more than a 3 mil. 5 mil farmer john, 6 mil booties and 7 mill hood plus diving gear.

I think Truth Aquatics will rent you anything you need from their shop right where the boats dock. Their boat "Truth" does a lot of day trips. You can see about them at TruthAquatics.com. The day trips will go to Anacapa and leave real early in the morning. The best way to do it is to board the preceeding evening, pick a bunk and snooz until they rev up the engines. You can usually get 4 dives in a one day boat trip. I think their daily trip is about $100 and food is extra but reasonable.

I just went to their site and when I went to "equipment" the link was no longer valid. They have an email address on their site if you want any better information.

Kelp diving is nothing like the Carribean. Except the currents. In the kelp, the currents are usually mild and at Anacapa there is a reserve that has been a reserve for years. Lots of stuff you would not usually see in the day like lobster. I also heard there were lots of neudebranchs this year and they were there.

Sorry I can't help you with beach diving. When we go there it's a full day to get there so we want the three day trips on the boat. We are leaving tomorrow to drive down to go out on the Conception (Another Truth Aquatics Boat).

Truth Aquatics has the best boats on the left coast. I'm not recommending other boats because you said you would be in Santa Barbara. 20 miles west, Ventura is the Peace Boat, Peace Dive Boat. They also have one day boats mid week. They are my favorite. Their one day trips are also about $100, food included and it's great. They don't have a shop but they could put you in touch with a shop to rent your gear. They might even deliver it to the boat. :)

It's suddenly occuring to me that this may be better placed in the So-Cal forums. I hope no one minds if I double post it and see which forum I get responses from.

Mr. Bigg, repost this in the Southern California section. I don't know anything about Santa Barbara diving, it's a bit too far south for a weekend dives. Hopefully someone there who lives closer could help.
Good luck,
Kristina

Yes - you will need more than a 3 mil. 5 mil farmer john, 6 mil booties and 7 mill hood plus diving gear.

I think Truth Aquatics will rent you anything you need from their shop right where the boats dock. Their boat "Truth" does a lot of day trips. You can see about them at TruthAquatics.com. The day trips will go to Anacapa and leave real early in the morning. The best way to do it is to board the preceeding evening, pick a bunk and snooz until they rev up the engines. You can usually get 4 dives in a one day boat trip. I think their daily trip is about $100 and food is extra but reasonable.

I just went to their site and when I went to "equipment" the link was no longer valid. They have an email address on their site if you want any better information.

Kelp diving is nothing like the Carribean. Except the currents. In the kelp, the currents are usually mild and at Anacapa there is a reserve that has been a reserve for years. Lots of stuff you would not usually see in the day like lobster. I also heard there were lots of neudebranchs this year and they were there.

Sorry I can't help you with beach diving. When we go there it's a full day to get there so we want the three day trips on the boat. We are leaving tomorrow to drive down to go out on the Conception (Another Truth Aquatics Boat).

Truth Aquatics has the best boats on the left coast. I'm not recommending other boats because you said you would be in Santa Barbara. 20 miles west, Ventura is the Peace Boat, Peace Dive Boat. They also have one day boats mid week. They are my favorite. Their one day trips are also about $100, food included and it's great. They don't have a shop but they could put you in touch with a shop to rent your gear. They might even deliver it to the boat. :)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom