• Never had Butterflies.

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • I have previously had butterflies.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Never Had Butterflies.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Always get butterflies.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Have had butterflies at new dive locations.

Votes: 38 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet:
You have "Never had butterflies" twice in your poll

Try the Grasshoppers for the next dive. They're deee-lish!

Well, there wasn't a "sometimes get butterflies" option so I chose "always". It doesn't matter if it's a new site or the same old site, sometimes I'm nervous so I change what I need to in order to quiet the flitter critters.
Ber :lilbunny:

I've had problems with anxiety occasionally, usually after a poor night's sleep. I now compensate by skipping any demanding dive if I'm not well rested and/or making sure I get a good night's sleep if I have a demanding dive on the schedule.

Paul...you know my answer! We talked about this before our dive on Saturday:D ! I always get butterflies and nervous too! BTW thanks for Saturday! I had a GREAT time!:D

I equate butterflies to "the voice". I little excitement is ok, but when the butterflies turn into a "pit" in your stomach, your subconcious mind is trying to tell you something is not right.

Everytime I get that "pit", it has proved to be correct. I used to cross the gulfstream a lot in a 25' boat on the way to the Bahamas or back to Florida. I always had butterflies in the beginning, about the first 10 miles or so, but the 2 times I got a pit in my stomach, the boat broke down once, and the weather turned near dangerous once. Both times, I had no indication the trouble was coming, but somehow I knew.

RoatanMan:
Try the Grasshoppers for the next dive. They're deee-lish!
I don't know about eating them, but drinking them is OK too.

Last time I got butterflies about a dive was a couple of years ago, doing a dive with Uncle Pug off of his boat. We hooked this wreck we wanted to dive, and as soon as the anchor line tightened we noticed a nice V-wake off the back of the boat. The butterflies came when he dropped the lanyard overboard that we'd be clipping off our gear to at the end of the dive in order to get back on the boat ... and the stainless steel bolt snap on the end of the lanyard started skipping the surface in the current ... :11:

We would've called the dive, but the anchor was stuck fast. So we dropped a float line off the stern, did a giant stride off the bow, grabbed the anchor line as we hit the water and pulled our way down to the wreck.

The butterflies went away at about 20 feet when we realized that the current was just on the surface. Had a wonderful dive, at the end of which we unhooked the anchor and brought it up with us. Since we were drifting with the boat it didn't feel like there was any current at all, and getting out of our gear and back onto the boat was a piece of cake. It turned out to be one of our best dives ever.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have to agree with Swamp. If they're "excited butterflies" (the kind I used to get before stepping onto the ice when I was younger and played hockey...), then those are to be expected. If you get the anxious, panicky, pit-in-your-stomach butterflies before every dive...why are you diving? What are you trying to prove and who are you trying to kill? (Okay..so that was a bit overly dramatic...but if diving makes someone that uncomfortable...it's a disaster waiting to happen. They're the people we refer to as "when" divers...as in..."it's not if something bad will happen, but when...")

Cheers,
Austin

Shelli, Sorry it was so murky. We need to go back out when it is warmer and not 24 degrees air temp, and there isnt 75 people there.

Back
Top Bottom