• Never had Butterflies.

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • I have previously had butterflies.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Never Had Butterflies.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Always get butterflies.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Have had butterflies at new dive locations.

Votes: 38 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my first dive trip I had butterflies at first before jumping in. But after my first 6 or 8 dives they went away. Now I just want to gear up and get in.

I typically only get them on the ride there then I am fine after geared up and in the water.

I dive a lot so I am usually very comfortable.

One in particular I remember being apprehensive about was diving one of the Long Beach oil rigs some years back. That mechanical monster just loomed out of the water, it was noisy, the seal were "barking" at us, the boat had to drop us off and pull away (security regulations). Just a lot going on before we got wet. Then there is the odd feeling of being inside the 3-4 foot diameter pipe structure that you know goes down to 300-500 feet. The bottom might as well have been on the moon!

It was amazing, but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't have some butterflys on that one! We did see a couple of Molas (Sunfish) there.

Diving on the ice cold Yukon in 6 foot vis was a bit nasty.

F W'er,

I have to tell you, the clanging of the day to day work on that rig just gave me the willies (my apologies to anyone here named "Willie"). Made me think of the 4 legged dinosaur-like machines in Star Wars. An underlying evil....no "Nemos" anywhere!

Turned out fine, got my deepest dive there (151 feet...and for a few seconds...but it satisfied my curiosity...no sunlight/cold/take picture/I'm outta here). Can't help but wonder what kind of gear is sitting on the bottom. Maybe the global warming will evaporate the ICE COLD water and I can snag a new snorkel.:wink:

The places that I typically get to dive, if you aren't a little bit aprehensive, you aren't really being safe.
There's just something about less than 10 foot vis and taking new ow students into it that requires a bit of planning.

Hmmm, I’d think I’d be a good candidate but don’t really think so, at least not my definition of butterflies and what/where I’m diving. (Used to get them elsewhere, most mountain launches where if you’re wrong judging the timing, the result is most likely lethal.)

Although recently I had the flutterbys about a dive canceled long before arrival time. Pretty worried I’d seriously embarrass myself diving with a group of SB people I didn’t know in an alien to me location etc. :D

For me butterflies are a good thing, they keep me focused and on point. I don't want to make a drama out of this but the couple of times I took the pre-dive prep. work as run-of-the-mill, I had problems with the dive. Examples of such mental mis-haps are: no weight belt, air not complety on, video camera screen not on.......

So if the butterflies don't show up, something is not right.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom