Buy a reg/depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try looking here for packages at Lesiure Pro. There's lots others there as well at different price points, but it gives you a start.

Also I saw your other thread - please don't get the impression that I'm advocating NOT having an octopus as well. I paid an additional $79 for an Axis oct with this setup. I would never dive without an alternate for myself and my buddy.

Marc

Hey Marc, I didn't get the wrong idea at all. I just figured that the suggestion of a reg with gauge would have to include buying an alternate air source. I personally have no intention of being penny foolish: my girls wouldn't allow it even if I had a mental lapse and tried to buy gear without the safety configuration.

Have looked at LeisurePro. Also got info about DiveRite's Transpac II as a possibility: they apparently will upgrade the BC as the kids grow...for free!

I love your attitude, redseal!
And I enjoy helping when parent & child buddy teams take OW. It a sport that really bridges the generation gap. The girls will meet better quality boys underwater & you can't take drugs at 60'. The investment you are making is about more than just $$. But where $ is concerned, I am a frugal gal. I once had a great reg that I bought used. I had to replace it so I got a cheapy. Not awful, but now I want to replace it, & it has low resale value. Even if the girls abandon scuba for (perish the thought) snowboarding, you can still resell everything. Perhaps another smart strategy would be to get good solid mid-range equipment & plan to sell it if they run off with some non-diver.

I know the price difference b/w local and on-line stores is significant in the US, but...

1) Sounds like your LDS has gone out of its way to help you with equipment and advice. Is it going to sour the relationship if you buy elsewhere?

2) I bought my reg in January. I've taken it back to the shop once to have a possible leak checked out and I'm about to take it back again to have the octopus (alternate) adjusted. Being able to get minor problems sorted out quickly is definitely a plus.

YMMV, of course :)

Zept

Absolutely true: my LDS has been terrific in meeting our needs for equipment, times, and instructors on off weekends (I tend to have to work a few weekends a month, plus my girls have sports events on Saturday mornings alot). Sooooo of course I'd like to maintain a good relationship with the shop and its owners.

I'm just being careful not to be "taken" blindly on pricing, especially when new gear and used gear are comparable in price (around $400-$550 for reg/octo/SPG).

I will be talking with the local shop a bit more in the next week.

redseal

I just got my C in June too and I noticed you're from PA.

Is it Dutch Springs where you've been diving?

:) Hey Grunzster,

No, we haven't been up to Dutch Springs yet. Hoping that we'll be able to try in mid September, though. The brochure makes it look pretty cool.

We're actually below York, PA, and spend all of our time (>99%) at the Bainbridge Scuba Center (www.divebsc.com) north of Columbia, PA. With the drought conditions only one part of the quarry is open for diving, but it's been comfortably warm (surface temp 80, 70 at 20, 60 at 30, 40 below 60). 'smatter of fact I'm doing AOW there next weekend.:rolleyes:

Buy now! look at it this way. Your girls are going to enjoy equipment that is comfortable and familiar to them. You and they are going to know exactly how its been looked after, keep it serviced fully and on schedule - and if the worst happens - and they choose boys over diving - you'll sell the gear on at a decent price.

Where's the advantage of continued renting - unless you're really pressed to make the investment.

I have a 15 year old son, who is just discovering girls, but he still enjoys diving and I thought it very worthwhile to get him his own gear.

MN

Well, we've split the difference. The older of the twins has really taken a shine to diving, doing an incredibly precise square pattern in the AOW navigation dives last weekend, so we're buying the BC that she's been renting since we took our basic OW course (the LDS bought new BCs for both of my girls since he didn't have any small enough for them, so effectively we've been renting their own for a few months now) as well as the reg/octo/gauge setup that she's used the past 4-6 dives. Daughter #2 we'll continue to rent for a while until/if she wants to continue diving.

Nice to see a number of parent/child pairings on these posts. And you're right: it's nice to have something to help bridge the potential gap between parent and (pre)teens.:D

redseal once bubbled...
Nice to see a number of parent/child pairings on these posts. And you're right: it's nice to have something to help bridge the potential gap between parent and (pre)teens.:D

It is - it's something my older daughter and I have that will hopefully keep the bond strong and keep us from drifting apart as she gets older as I see happen far too often in other families.

We hit the beach today for a quick dive as Mom and the younger one caught some rays and waves. And we out again on Monday for a wreck and reef two tanker. This is going to be our last hurrah for awhile though. She's made her high school's volleyball team, and soccer starts in November so time will at a premium on weekends for the next while.

The next step is to keep working on her mother and younger sister to try diving, but there hasn't been any interest there yet.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom