Buy a reg/depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhat in the same situation here: older girls are certified with interest, younger sister has another year before she can do the open water course (has to be 12). Mom had ZERO interest in diving:confused: :confused: :confused: ;-0 but had such a good time snorkeling while on vacation that she's given me permission:) to look at potential summer vacation locations that will allow the divers to dive, and the others to do something above the waves.

And look: there's summer just 300 days away.........

redseal once bubbled...
younger sister has another year before she can do the open water course (has to be 12).

That was changed this year (?). Junior's can now get certified at 10.

Marc

Looking at the requirements for PADI Junior Open Water scuba certification the book states that the minimum age is 12, 15 for unrestricted Open Water. PADI's website, however, states that the age range is 10-14. Does anyone with PADI know if a child under 12 can get her junior C-Card after taking and passing the OW course. I realize this may be splitting hairs, but just because she can take the course, it's not clear whether she can get the card until she's 12. I'd love to get the youngest involved now while she's expressing interest.

I don't know the exact rules and requirements, but I have dived with a couple of PADI-certified parent/child teams where the child was under 12. They are restricted to a max depth of 12m.

Interesting article about kids and diving on Divernet here.

Zept

redseal once bubbled...
Looking at the requirements for PADI Junior Open Water scuba certification the book states that the minimum age is 12, 15 for unrestricted Open Water. PADI's website, however, states that the age range is 10-14. Does anyone with PADI know if a child under 12 can get her junior C-Card after taking and passing the OW course.

My book says the same, but the copyright is 1999, with no current revisions.

Digging a little further I found this in the Diving FAQ section of the PADI website.

How old do you have to be to become a certified diver?
Ten years old. If you're between 10 and 15, you receive a Junior Open Water Diver certification. 10 and 11 year old Junior Open Water Divers must dive with a certified parent, guardian or PADI Professional to a maximum depth of 12 metres/40 feet. 12 to 14 year olds should dive with a certified adult. When you turn 15, you can upgrade your Junior certification to a regular Open Water Diver certification.

I can't recall when I was told it was changed - it was either January 2001, or 2002.

Marc

Zept, thanks for the referral to this article. It confirms that some teens/preteens shouldn't be diving (lack of maturity) but some can that are motivated and educated.

My kids are less than half my weight. I doubt that either one could lift me or carry me on land or possibly in the water...alone. But we dive together as a team, they know the tired diver drills, they have been swimming on a swim team since age 6 and are comfortable and strong in the water. We dive within our abilities and practice our safety maneuvers, eg share air, hand signals, make and dive a plan, stay above 35-40 feet in the quarry (60 feet in Grand Cayman, per PADI and the DM on the boat), and respect each others concerns. I have no doubt that between them they could "rescue" or support me if something serious happened, and vice versa.

We also talk about "what-if" situtations, reminding each other that panicking is NOT an option, stopping, thinking, then doing is how we were trained and how we're supposed to act. Having seen other divers behave poorly (see some of my posts from just after our trip in early August) and watching the results of a diver who panicked at the local quarry while on a deep dive, all three of us understand that while this is a potentially dangerous sport, risks can be kept low, and fun and adventure kept high as long as we play by the rules.:)

I'm starting my O/W with my wife and my 11 almost 12 yr old nephew/godson on sept 13. All the information in the last few posts has been very helpful, and has given me quite a few questions to ask of the instructor. I don't think he should have any problems, he is very inteligent and very athletic, but I really appreciate the heads up. Once again I find this forum and the people in it to be awesome:)

Thanx
Brian

:) Welcome to Scuba diving and Scubaboard! It really is a neat way to do things as a family. My girls and I look for ways to get to the local quarry to dive for a day or two on a weekend. There's less and less griping about the weight and heat (7mm suits in August!!) and more "wow, that was great" comments.

There is a wealth of info and opinion on this board. I've been fortunate to have people give their insight on weighting, equipment, places to dive, where to purchase (careful: that's a hot thread or two) but there are dozens of good-hearted folks who are more than willing to share their experiences.

Once again, welcome!!

redseal
You sure aren't kidding about those where to buy threads!

Back
Top Bottom