"buy equipment here" speech in OW first class!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb:
:D If you're gonna smack people and not be noticed for it, do it in the back of the head. Thanks, Scuba.
You' re welcome.

You do get a B for:

B etter than ......

B est of ...........

But I just know you can get an A. Instead, what do you do? You go ahead and choose B anyways. :58: Therefore. :smash: LOL

toodive4:
As you know - opinions are like A- (you know whats) and everyone has one. Fortunately this board is full of 'em - it makes the reading more fun, the information being divulged damn near complete - and for the new diver - utmost confusing.

How anyone new to the sport figures out where to go or what to do after reading these forums is amazing. They must all be mensa members with astronomical IQ's and more common sense than any of us...

What's amazing is that you're still confused about the issue being discussed here.

I don't think anyone disputes the right of a business to make money and the right of a salesperson to make a sales pitch in order to make a sale. What is objectionable is the tactics used to persuade, or coerce in some cases. Falsehood, deception, fear, etc., instead of learning and using a more positive and beneficial marketing and sales tactic.

Since this appears to not concern you, what is your alternative to the confusion generated here by a whole range of diverse ideas? Should divers to be, ignorant of the sport, calmly walk into an unknown, potentially unscrupulous LDS? One which may provide a simple and complete understanding with good portions of deceit and falsehoods, possibly affecting safety. Is it better to be somewhat confused or completely suckered?

Unless a new or soon to be diver has a knowledgeable mentor, to anyone with a little common sense type of IQ, these raucous forums are not only a doorway to a treasure trove of information about the great diversity in this sport, but it may be the only hope they have to afford more and safer diving.

As for your Donkey in a Hole comment. In case you haven't noticed - you are on this board spewing words of wizdum. So I'll have to trust your expertise.

Shawn95:
No store, no air.

A prime example of the fear mongering first brought up in this thread. If your shop goes out of business because of lousy service, gouging customers or any other reason - that doesn't mean that everyone within 50 miles will have to quit diving because there won't be anywhere to get air! Someone will have the bright idea to buy a compressor, believe me, and they may even be able to do fills cheaper since they don't have to worry about subsidizing parts of their business that don't work :wink:.

Wrong, fills are a loss leader for most LDS. Electricity, filtration and maintence are pricey. Bank hydros, computers, analyzers, gasses if you are mixing tech.

I guess im just lucky i have found a shop within an hour from my house that is perfect. I wish i would have found it before i got certified, i would have done it there, i got certified at one of those mine is good everthing else is junk places.finding the shop was by accident, needed to get tanks filled. The closest shop was closed for the season. So i called around and found this one, i got tanks filled twice before i started asking about equipment. i was just about to place an order online to upgrade all my equipment. The third time i was there i told him i was going to get new equipment, so he asked what i was getting he asked if he could shoot me a price on what i wanted and prices on stuff he had in stock. i said sure he did not talk down to any brands or talk up the brands he carries he told and showed me differences in reg and bcs. answered questions i had. He came within 30.00 dollars of online price(complete gear setup) i could not believe the deal he gave me. I Started to recomend him to all my buddies we all buy gear there now would not go anywhere else. Also if we have a problem he will come in after hours to take care of it. So there is good lds out there you just have to look

As a representative of an LDS, I don't think pushy sales people work. It is always good for both an instructor AND the staff to know a bit about other equipment than the LDS offers. They need to just give to the advantages and disadvantages, but all dive equipment should be GREAT, regardless of the brand (new that is)- some just lasts longer than others and the current way they are making stuff (cheaper and cheaper, thus US Divers going downhill from the 80s and 90s)- but Zeagle is a good brand (we sell that in our store) and ScubaPro is good (we DON'T sell that in our store) I would admit though as a rep of an LDS that we do not make our $ to keep the doors open off of classes- it is made off of the equipment and if you expect to be able to take additional classes and go on wonderful dive trips WITH the LDS, than buying equipment from them would be best. AND, it is also being loyal to that particular LDS. Some people go where there is the best pricing available (either internet or wholesale stores), but they also aren't guranteed to get a warranty on their products and/or get the personalize customer service you SHOULD be getting in your LDS. Not to mention, do you EVER see people hanging out at BJ's or Costco just chatting with their employees? Have you ever seen the internet and wholesale stores have monthly dive club meetings to get people more involved and get more people to know other people to produce more dive buddies? Have you ever seen the internet or the wholesale stores put on really great priced trips internationally and even locally?? NO, i think not!! So, yeah, the instructor probably should not have been so pushy, but they are definately supposed to have their sales pitch sound more attractive than "BUY FROM US OR ELSE..." It IS the instructors job though, as the one that you should trust (being you ARE taking classes from them) to sell you the equipment they trust. Zeagle is one of the better on the line- our local police dive team uses it and I believe the US Navy is even using it.

OK, enough blabber for me- I hope that I made a good point for all of you to consider :)

Happy Diving!! :)

PhotoTJ:
Wrong, fills are a loss leader for most LDS. Electricity, filtration and maintence are pricey. Bank hydros, computers, analyzers, gasses if you are mixing tech.

I don't work in a dive shop or own a compressor so I can't argue with you on specific costs. I will say however that I'm a bit suspiscious that it is so expensive since I'm able to get air fills in the philippines (which has the most expensive electricity in asia) for about $1.50 a tank. They have the same flitration and maintenance issues that a shop in the states would have.

Even if it were ultimately more expensive (still doubt it, especially if the divers formed clubs and subsidized costs that way) its ridiculous to say "no shop, no air'. Shops like this, and they are present in Asia too, just don't get my business.

MY LDS never gave us that "you should buy here" or "Buy this brand" speech. The only thing they said was regarding warranty and service with them vs. an online shop. In fact the only time the instructor (also one of the owners) mentioned buying equipment was at our last class, and he only mentioned it because he felt that the sooner you bought, the sooner you would get acclimated to it, and you would dive more often (whch that part were true, my time sucks so far this summer!) Other than that nothing else!

Price wise, they were in the ballpark enough that I couldn't NOT buy there (Thankfully they have and service Zeagle regs!) I went with an Aeris BC, but it was in my price range and firmly adequate for my needs (they sell Aeris as well)

Knowing full well that they don't stock, nor have an affiliation with a wetsuit copmpany that as suits that fit me, they suggested checking around or online or giving them the name of a company and they would attempt to order.

I have purchased from them, online, and other shops at my destinations, and have had great luck through out. I'm glad my shop doesn't pressure you into supporting their sales.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom