Buy gear online in Canada or purchase locally ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always plan my purchases to conside with my trip to the US - if you can do that, GREAT!

Once, I purchased online (US) and mailed it to my parents (Canada) ended up with 20% import tax.

Since i reside in the middle east, I have just organized myself to shop either when I am heading to the US or someone is coming over from the US.

Just can't beat the US market.
I've learned that just doing some shopping around online while here in the Bahamas. Many of them don't even ship here due to agreements with shops. That kind of obstacle is something I've never seen

This shop sells a large variety of scuba gear online in canada. There if often free shipping on purchases over $100. Buying in Canada and shipping to US I think there is no tax as well. To purchase locally usually means you need to try the item on.

What can I tell you ICD? I just went to you webpagee and compared three itms thst I have just recently purchased at my chosen lds. The computer I bought at my lds was not only less dollars but was also a grade higher.
Just picked up the wetsuit that my lds brought in for me special and for significantly lower than than that on your web site.
Bare chillguards same price.

I'm not seeing online deals here folks. Sorry.

Hawkwood, it was my understanding that the Airdrie shop recently closed?

Not when I wrote my post Feb 14 2012​.

I've learned that just doing some shopping around online while here in the Bahamas. Many of them don't even ship here due to agreements with shops. That kind of obstacle is something I've never seen

I will ship anywhere. I have regular customers in Canada, Guam, Okinawa, and several islands in the Caribbean. Most of the islands use a freight forwarding service in Florida. I just send it to them and they handle the rest. I have one very good customer in Trinidad that gets his items on average in 7 -10 days from the time I ship it. In my experience with overseas and even parts of Canada that is fast. I have a few guys in the Philippines who have me ship to addresses in California and New York even. Then they take it with them when they fly over.

But if you are close to the border getting a US Po box or have friend in the US is the way to go. I ship all of my stuff via USPS and their rates are often half of UPS and they don't tack on all the extra fees UPS does. Their tracking has gotten worlds better. What I cannot control is how long Canadian, or any countries customs, take to process a package but usually it is not long at all. I've sent stuff to BC and had it be in customers hands in 7 days.

Another option is if you have a friend or relative that is on a US military base. I ship a lot to APO/FPO's and it is no more expensive than sending it domestically.

Sorry Hawkwood. I hadn't noticed this is a revived thread?

Went to my LDS the other day to get some Atomic Colored faceplates as a surprise gift. Only to find they never arrived. The manager also mentioned a LOT of problems with other distributors up here. An order to Bare had 47 backorders out of a 63pc order. GoPro took months to ship the Hero3+, problem was everyone who wanted one got fed up and ordered online. We can order online and have product within days, the distributors up here-months! I guess I should have ordered the faceplates and taken them to the shop to put them on.

I don't know what to say about that. Got my one item Bare wetsuit in a week. Gopros are available at Best Buy and London Drugs.

I will ship anywhere. I have regular customers in Canada, Guam, Okinawa, and several islands in the Caribbean. Most of the islands use a freight forwarding service in Florida. I just send it to them and they handle the rest. I have one very good customer in Trinidad that gets his items on average in 7 -10 days from the time I ship it. In my experience with overseas and even parts of Canada that is fast. I have a few guys in the Philippines who have me ship to addresses in California and New York even. Then they take it with them when they fly over.

But if you are close to the border getting a US Po box or have friend in the US is the way to go. I ship all of my stuff via USPS and their rates are often half of UPS and they don't tack on all the extra fees UPS does. Their tracking has gotten worlds better. What I cannot control is how long Canadian, or any countries customs, take to process a package but usually it is not long at all. I've sent stuff to BC and had it be in customers hands in 7 days.

Another option is if you have a friend or relative that is on a US military base. I ship a lot to APO/FPO's and it is no more expensive than sending it domestically.
oh I'll be back in the US in about 16 hours. Was just a vacation. But I couldn't help but to look at gear still

How do you justify charging $70 more for yellow-tipped hollis f1 fins vs all black?

That's the price difference you'll find everywhere. It's how much more the MSRP is. I was told by a Hollis rep that it has something to do with the process of using two colors of rubber and "mating" them. The yellow tip is not just painted on, it's yellow rubber.

That's the price difference you'll find everywhere. It's how much more the MSRP is. I was told by a Hollis rep that it has something to do with the process of using two colors of rubber and "mating" them. The yellow tip is not just painted on, it's yellow rubber.

Outside of Canada the price difference is only $40, not $70.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom