Buy Guages now - Computer later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetPro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am buying my first Regulator - Aqualung Titan LX - and am trying to decide on guages vs computer. My original plan was to get a suunto console set up with Pres/Depth then switch out the depth for a vyper later when the cash flow goes positive. (does that ever happen?)

I was looking at diveinn and I see that I could save a lot of money over the LDS but the descriptions all say the guages are metric only. Has anyone been able to get analog guages with imperial measure from them?

Any place else to get a good price on guage console? Am I being foolish? Should I just get a cobra?
My other concern is that I'll end up doing this X3. (me, 2 kids)

Dual Guage console
LDS $229
DiveInn $107

Pressure / Vyper console
LDS $499
DiveInn $363

Cobra
LDS $???
DiveInn $399

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I'd recommend getting a simple brass pressure gauge for $60 or so, and a wrist mount Vyper for $250. No need for console.

Mike

My Cobra... and I wish I had bought it earlier. All of my needed info: Time-UW, Est of air time left, time till deco obligation, depth, ascent rate, etc etc is all there to look at. I also like looking at the graphs of my profile after the dive to see just how safe I am diving.

I have always been told to get what you WANT....sure it may cost "more" initially but you will be happy. or you could "save" mony now by settling only to spend more later on what you WANT. I would say get a computer now when you buy your gear. Do it right the first time.

Narced_1 :jester:

I knew I really wanted the computer. Now I just have to decide between a vyper and a cobra. If I go with the Vyper, any downside to a wrist mount - like falling off?

NetPro

But honey, it's only money!

i'd go with yooper, that's what i do

get a simple pressure guage and use a wrist depth guage/computer

the vyper is great. i love mine.

brandon

AVOID THE DANGLIES AT ALL COSTS!

Doesn't the SPG dangle?

I just bid on a new cobra on ebay - I couldn't help it. It was calling to me.

NetPro

I have wrist-mount Vyper and an Uwatec SPG (Suunto wrist mount compass also).

I have a stainless steel bolt snap (like the clip at the end of a dog leash) tied to my SPG. I clip it to a D ring on my BC just above my waist. It doesn't dangle, and I can see it without unclipping by just looking down.

I use bungee cords for my compass (Suunto SK7). The wrist band that this comes with is cheesy and hard to use with heavy gloves on (although the compass itself is great). With a bungee "bracelet", I am able to just pull it on and it stays -- quick and easy (although may take a little trial and error to the the correct size bungee bracelet).

The Vyper wrist-mount comes with a wrist band that is similar to a watch band, with 2 metal pins holding the band to the computer. As a result, it is hard to replace this with bungees. The wrist band is easy to use even with gloves on and stays snug, however. A few folks I know have added the additional precaution of a lanyard that they loop into one of the eyelets of the wrist band -- just another precaution aginst dropping it.

Hope this helps.

:nono: The Vyper is very easy to put bungies on (1/8"). Once you take the bands off, you'll see how easy it is. I have a pic of how I put bungies on my Vyper, but it's too big to attach here. Anyone interested will have to e-mail me.

Mike

thelostyooper@cs.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom