Buy my own tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost posted this same question recently. I'm about to complete my gear package and pick up a regulator. I was wondering if I "needed" to get the tank as well. But when all is said and done I'm not sure I actually need to buy the tank.

I would like to dive with a steel tank. I did once, a boat charter had steel tanks instead of the traditional aluminum tanks. But then I wasn't quite sure about my weighting since I've been diving rental AL80's.

I dive both locally and on vacation. I wouldn't take the tank on vacations. I would dive more often locally but with my son's sporting events on weekends I often find it difficult to dive for weeks and months at a time.

My LDS isn't too far from me, only 15 minute drive. I would still need to drop off and pick up the tank for air fills. Granted, I would be more flexible in when I had to drop off and pick up, but it wouldn't save me any trips to the LDS. It would make it more convient to pick and dive at any time, but I still have buddy problems and can't always dive at the last minute anyways. Besides, the local Sports Chalet will rent tanks up to 10 pm at night making it more convenient as well.

So, when all is said and done I'm thinking I might as well continue to rent the tank for now. I can always buy one in the future if I change my mind.

@freewillie-

Google "Scuba Tank Specs" for a good page on tank buoyancy. Compare the "empty" buoyancy numbers and use that to adjust your weight belt.

As for "needing" to buy or not... yup, hold up and see how it goes. The answer ( yes or no ) will become obvious to you.

I bought 4 new Worthington100s from my LDS and they threw in 25 free fills. When I did the math, the fills alone bought 3/4 of one of my tanks. That said, there are two divers in my family so they get a lot of use - we're on course for a 25 dive year, and with the same last year, they've paid for themselves already. Add in a VIP class to do your own and its a no-brainer...if you have the cash.

If you can't average 2 local dives per month, well, you aren't a diver IMO.

Don't hate on the strictly blue water divers too much. I want to be a blue water princess when I grow up :wink:

--

Personally not owning my own tanks would be a huge struggle. I have 12 of them currently.

IT RARELY HAS ANYTHINNG TO DO WITH SAVING MONEY... something odd happens when you get a tank.... I'm not sure how so many tanks come from just having one..... but it happens.....my tank has somehow become 10 + ponies..... :help: (yes, tanks for me & the wife, and soon, the daughter). Dive when I want, where I want, and as many times as I want...

IT RARELY HAS ANYTHINNG TO DO WITH SAVING MONEY... something odd happens when you get a tank.... I'm not sure how so many tanks come from just having one..... but it happens.....my tank has somehow become 10 + ponies..... :help: (yes, tanks for me & the wife, and soon, the daughter). Dive when I want, where I want, and as many times as I want...

No No No. That's too many tanks. You need to sell some and buy a compressor! Oh yeah!:D

I do most of my diving while on travel for work, so I don't take tanks on a plane. Even so, I bought one AL80 used for $80 so I could have a compressed air source for testing and working on equipment. Once I got one I found myself using it some for "local" (7 hour car ride) dives. I am currently looking for at least on more. I hope to find a couple of steel 100's. I'm not so old yet that I can't handle the weight of the steel tanks:D

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

BEWARE - tanks and regs are like chips you can't stop at just one. I'm small potatoes with 6 tanks and regs.

I had 4 AL80's and 1 AL40. The 80's were traded in for 2 95's. :) Soon I'll be adding 2 more 80's to inventory. Wife doesn't know yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom