Buying a used CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but nothing came up in my search, so...

What is your opinion on buying a used rebreather?

Before you jump all over me with all the ebay horror stories. I'm not talking about ebay.

The owner of a local LDS is selling a used Meg, which is the unit I've decided to go with. Have no idea what options it has or what he's asking, but figured it may be worth looking into.

1. Make sure the unit is rightfully owned by the seller
(serial number, confirm with manufaturer - chances are good in a dive shop :wink: )

2. Make sure the unit is in good operating condition
(your instructor will check it to insure safety for you to use - great if he can do it before you buy)

grunzster:

Before you jump all over me with all the ebay horror stories. I'm not talking about ebay.

The owner of a local LDS is selling a used Meg, which is the unit I've decided to go with. Have no idea what options it has or what he's asking, but figured it may be worth looking into.

Is said unit located in NYC?

Thanks, I didn't find the post you were talkin about, but what I did find that's a little strange.

The guy selling just did his training back in April! Now barely 7 months later he's selling it?

grunzster:
Thanks, I didn't find the post you were talkin about, but what I did find that's a little strange.

The guy selling just did his training back in April! Now barely 7 months later he's selling it?
I would contact Leon at innerspace since he will have records of all the units they make. He'll know the story on it.

Call Leon. Ask him if there was a problem with the unit.

Check out the first stages on the tanks. And the tank valves. To look for any indication of a O2 fire.

Have him dive it for you. Have him show you all he learned on the unit. MAKE SURE IT WORKS.

Then, Yep. Buy a used one. Not a big deal.

Questions to ask

1. Do you own the unit? Check with Leon on this also.
2. Ever had an O2 fire on the unit or the tanks?
3. What electronics comes with it.
4. What Counter lungs come with it?
5. What is the head made of? Aluminum or the Plastic?
6. Does it come with tanks? And what kind?
7. Does it come with First stages? And what kind?
8. Does it come with a O ring rebuild kit?
9. Does it include the manual?
10. What duration was he getting out of the scrubber?
11. Does it come with new O2 sensors?
12. Does it have the calibration kit with it? If so, is it the one with the one way check valve in the head? Or the new model?
13. What does HE use to dissenfect and clean the lungs?
14. Does it have loop covers on it?
15. Ever had a problem at all with the unit maintaining setpoint?
16. Does it come with the ADV?
17. Does it come with a HUD?
18. How good are the batteries? Voltage? And what voltage do you need new ones?
19. Ever flooded the unit?
20. WHY IS HE SELLING IT?
21. What tank mounts is he using?
22. Does the BC come with it? And what model? Standard preferred is DiveRite Trek. Not the only option. But most get this.
23. Make sure to get the clips for the counter lungs.
24. Does he have Extra tanks to sweeten the deal?
25. When was the last O2 cleaning on the valves and tanks and first stages. If it's only 7 months old. It's getting time to clean em again. See if he will clean them if you can't.
26. Did he ever cross thread any of the connections. And check to make sure.

Sure there are more questions. But a good start.

grunzster:

There really is no definate answer.. The unit should be inspected by your potential instructor or by another knowledgeable CCR diver.. Most likely 1 part necessary for operation will only be delievered to your instructor.

Alot of instructors replace their rebreathers yearly and sell off the previous one so that they are always diving a new looking unit.. You can get a good deal hear, and many will provide traing as well (for an additional fee but you usually get some break)..

If you PM me who the guy is I might be able to get some info for you.. The RB world is a small community..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom