Buying My First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beckerman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thank you in advance for the help. I consider myself still a newbie, have logged 60 dives and completely convinced I am going to be in this sport for the rest of my life.

My question is I feel I am finally ready to purchase my first Regulator. From research and DMs I've stayed in touch with I am going with the Scubapro MK25/A700, but what else is required to complete the reg setup???

I have a wrist dive computer (non-intergrated), obviously need an octo, but additional hoses, consoles, ect I am lost on.

Thank you!!!

First stage, two second stages, SPG, hoses for each of those and a low pressure inflator hose or two if you have a drysuit. Have you considered buying used to save a bunch of money?

That is a top of the line reg....in other words it's expensive. Nothing wrong with it, great reg in fact but there is little to be gained by buying regs above the mid range of any brand and if cash for other items is a problem then a mid range reg would go a long way twards the cost of the other parts.
So, what else do you need. An octo, I dislike the bottom end "octos" they tend to be pretty poor in design and preformance, again, a mid range one or an older used primary (serviced) would do nicely. You will need at a minimum a SPG. Some prefer a simple gauge and nothing else. I prefer a small console with an analog depth gauge as a back up to my computer and last but not least a LP inflator hose. Most new BCs include it so you may not need to buy it seperately unless you are renting/borrowing a BC or possibly buying a used one that may not include it.

good choice. a very high end reg. you will be happy with it.

No console. Its too massive.

A Nice big SPG.
Something like this one http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_957/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/OMSPGO.html?Hit=1

One large swivel bolt snap so you can clip your SPG anywhere you need to on your BC
like this : http://www.omsdive-ca.com/hardware.html

A wrist mounted compass: Something like this
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SQTSK7.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dCompass%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRelevance%26DescSort%3d0%26Description%3don%26Hit%3d1

One inflator hose and a good quality Octo like the
Scubapro R395 or the R295

And if you want to try a simple way of keeping your octo in place. Get to an outdoor supply store to get some 1/4 inch bungie to make a necklace. You will find info on here about that.

Thank you in advance for the help. I consider myself still a newbie, have logged 60 dives and completely convinced I am going to be in this sport for the rest of my life.

My question is I feel I am finally ready to purchase my first Regulator. From research and DMs I've stayed in touch with I am going with the Scubapro MK25/A700, but what else is required to complete the reg setup???

I have a wrist dive computer (non-intergrated), obviously need an octo, but additional hoses, consoles, ect I am lost on.

Thank you!!!

Everyone will have a different opinion here.

But nobody can deny the quality of your choice. IMO there is no reason to buy mid grade when you can just purchase a reg which will not limit your diving from the beginning. I absolutely love my MK25/S600.

You will also need a back up second stage and a pressure gauge - both will need hoses. I personally dive a balanced reg (G250V)for a back up - which performs well at depth if I ever need it - but opinions will differ on this point.

I'd pass on the console and just put the compass on your left wrist the computer on your right and avoid the bulk of a console. Happy shopping :)

It also depends on where you plan on diving. If your only going to be doing warm water dives 50F+ that set-up will be fine. If you plan on doing cold water dives anything below 50F I would look into a Diagphram Reg or one that comes with a Cold water kit. Sealed regs are excellent for Cold water/warm/polluted etc. Examples of each would be the ScubaPro MK17, or Atomic M1. The S600 is a great breathing reg, Also as above mentioned the G250V is terrific. If warm water diving either reg will perform great. If you plan on doing cold water I would look more into the G250V or A700.

Personally I have the MK17/G250V, I also own MK25/S600's. I have had them in different configurations and For me the G250V has better air delievery feels more smooth and natural. But comparing side to side its very difficult to notice differnce. In size the S600 is smaller it is lighter on surface underwater not really noticeable to me atleast. I have tried the A700 and for me didjn't like it as much as my others.

Other Regs to consider are Atomic's they are not the cheapest but the work extremly well and built with quality and customer support is awesome. They also have longer service intervals compared to others. As for the Octo you can get just something that works or buy 2 of the same. My 1st year diving I got lower end regs and served me well I still have them but no longer use them as I have upgraded.

Another brand to look into is not as flashy as the others but perform just as well (I heard) HOG regulators and You can a full set 1st and2 2nd's for probably cheaper than a 1st/2nd o fall others mentioned above.

Holy sh*t, you guys rock!!!
I have entertained looking at used and mid grade gear, but when it comes to regs I really want to buy one that I will use for the foreseeable future (with proper maintance of course!)
Now here is where I show my true ignorance...
By the looks of the Scubapro's website I would get the first stage that attaches directly to the tank, the hose that leads from the first stage to the second.
Therefore in addition to the MK25/A700, I would need to purchase an Octo, hose leading from the first stage to the Octo, a hose from the first stage to the BC, a SPG and a hose from the first stage to the SPG???
Where do I find hoses that are compatible?
In your guy's opinion am I doing this right, buying one top of the line piece at a time as I can afford them? Started with fins/mask/booties at my OW, wrist computer a couple years ago, wetsuit after my AOW, now a reg, down the road BC, way down the road an air integrated dive watch?

Thank you again for all the help!

By the looks of the Scubapro's website I would get the first stage that attaches directly to the tank, the hose that leads from the first stage to the second.
Yes

Therefore in addition to the MK25/A700, I would need to purchase an Octo, hose leading from the first stage to the Octo
, The octo may come with a low pressure hose

a hose from the first stage to the BC,
If you purchase a BC it may come with a low pressure inflator hose, if you continue to rent you will need to purchase a low pressure inflator hose.

a SPG and a hose from the first stage to the SPG???
You will need to purchase a high pressure hose

Where do I find hoses that are compatible?
Do you have a local dive shop?

In your guy's opinion am I doing this right, buying one top of the line piece at a time as I can afford them? Started with fins/mask/booties at my OW, wrist computer a couple years ago, wetsuit after my AOW, now a reg,
I think so, but you can speed up the equipment accumulation process by purchasing some of it used. I'd also add a compass sooner than later. The Suunto SK7 is a nice model Amazon.com: Suunto SK7 Wrist Compass.

down the road BC
, If you're looking for top of the line which won't limit progress you might consider a Back Plate/Wing instead of a BCD. Here is the top of the line. Not the cheapest but it's excellent! Halcyon Eclipse | Halcyon Dive Systems

way down the road an air integrated dive watch?
That's not necessary, the SPG does a great job ;-).

BTW nobody said equipment is inexpensive - but IMO it's worth every cent to have your own equipment that you service and trust!

You could get the HOG regs along with a BP/W or jacket BC for the same price you will spend on the Scubapro regs.

FWIW I dive 2 MK25's with 2 S600's and they are nice regs (I use a long primary hose and bungee the second reg under my chin for easy access). So are the HOGS that my gal uses. The HOG's are much cheaper to service and no contract stuff to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom