Buying my first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying used is fine for people who collect or work on their own stuff.
You have no idea of the history of the reg when you buy used. Some people who collect and work on certain regs don’t mind because they’re hobbyist restorers and they’re set up for it. A heavy handed hack technician could have manhandled the reg and screwed it up, maybe that’s why it’s for sale cheap?

I would only buy used if I knew the exact history of the set. For instance, my buddy has a used reg set for sale that he bought brand new and always took it to a well known dealer for proper service. Ok, that’s different. Or you know for a fact that so and so has a reg set for sale that he dived one time and hung it in a closet and he never used it again. Basically it's brand spanking new, that’s different. But those deals aren’t always around.

For a beginner who’s starting out and just wants a reliable reg set to go diving and not worry about it, I would just buy new.
It’s brand new and under full warranty. They have it in stock, no waiting, no getting it serviced, no surprises!
If your authorized LDS screws it up then it’s on them and you know who did it. You have recourse.
You could potentially spend way more in price and headache buying used if you don’t buy right.

And BTW, Aqualung is NOT some “beginner” reg set that needs to be upgraded at some future date. It is a top of the line, tried and trued, very old company with a long history and outstanding track record. They still support designs from the 1960’s.

People on this site will chearlead for whatever they use. Aqualung is not the primary brand I use, I only own a few regs from Aqualung, most of my stuff is old Scubapro. I’m just confirming for you that there is nothing wrong with AL, since that’s what your LDS sells.

Last edited:
For a beginner who’s starting out and just wants a reliable reg set to go diving and not worry about it, I would just buy new.

I would add that, on occasion, you can buy demo or used regs through a dive shop. This insures the regs work and you can get service. Ask, it won't hurt.

Also, contrary to a lot of advice online, you do not need to buy a high end "last reg you will ever need to buy". A decent entry level reg will last a long time and won't break the bank. If you keep diving you will have time decide on your dream reg for your personal diving needs, and if you quit diving, for whatever reason, it won't be as big a loss.

Bob

Buying used is fine for people who collect or work on their own stuff.

Eric does make a valid point. There is an element of risk when buying a used item, whether it is a car or a regulator.

You need to know what you are buying and preferably who you are buying from. For example, from time to time Vintage Double Hose sells used regulators that have been serviced by the owner. I would not hesitate to purchase from him nor be afraid to dive them, regardless of the age. If fact I would trust them more than a new set out of the box because I know they are tested before selling.

The sad fact about scuba is that people get interested in it and then after a few dives move on to another hobby. So there is plenty of gently used gear out there. I am collector (i.e. hoarder) and I have gotten burned a few times but nothing major. If buying off of eBay you are usually protected from bad sellers, but it is a hassle to deal with.

Those are most of the reasons that I was avoiding used gear in the first place. Think I'm going to stick with some equipment for my first set of gear, and possibly branch out after that.

I am seriously considering the Atomic M1 now...

I bought a new regulator after finishing my OW class, maybe 20 years ago, but since then I've bought many used regulators and learned to work on them. I wouldn't spend a lot unless you have money to spare and it doesn't matter to you. Almost all regulators made by the major companies are perfectly safe and perform absolutely fine for all but the most extreme diving. There is so much hype and salesmanship in regulators, try to keep in mind that they're basically very simple devices that drop tank pressure to ambient pressure on demand. I routinely use old regulators that I paid less than $100 for in cave diving, although of course I maintain them well.

Those are most of the reasons that I was avoiding used gear in the first place. Think I'm going to stick with some equipment for my first set of gear, and possibly branch out after that.

I am seriously considering the Atomic M1 now...

If you ask 3 divers a question, you will get 4 answers maybe more. People say you should not shop for food when you are hungry because you over purchase, the same is true with scuba. New divers want the best because they know they are going to be diving forever. As mentioned before, few do. Dive shops know this that is why many of them give new divers a hard sell on equipment because they know after training you many not buy anything.

If buying used look for gear that is in good condition and test it out immediately. Unless the gear was sold for parts, the regulators should work properly, if not then send them back as not as described. Used items on eBay should be functional. If buying local bring a tank and an IP gauge. If starting out I would look for "late model" gear. Save the older gear for when you get some more experience or have a mentor that can help you evaluate it.

When buying new gear the best deals on major manufacturer's equipment is usually when they change product lines. The old style face plate often translates into a 50% discount.On smaller brands (Hog, DeepSix, etc.) the better deals are usually around Black Friday and other holidays. There is a guy on ebay selling new Aeris (Oceanic) regulators for $150.00. At that price you can consider them disposable. Use them for a few years and then sell them when they need service. By that time either you know you love diving or you don't. A service is usually around $100 or more so there is really nothing lost by trashing then when done and buying something you really want or another set of $150 regulators. You may even catch the DIY bug, and service them yourself.

It is your money, spend it as you see fit. My point is to educate yourself as to what is out there. What is the best is very subjective, be wary of magazine reports, there is always a new "best" every year even if the models don't really change. Machines can pick up differences no human can perceive and many times was is "best" is driven by marketing dollars not regulator performance. Magazines whether print or online do not test like Consumer Reports does.

Back
Top Bottom