Buying my first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are all just making this harder for me, you know that? :)

Seriously though, I appreciate all of the input.

I feel like I will probably go with something new for my first set of gear. It could well be a poor financial decision, but the idea of buying something so related to my safety from a stranger who has used it is still kind of weird to me. Also, and maybe this is me being silly, then it's MY first set of gear... Know what I mean? That being said, I may change my mind on that. After all, the water's a bit chilly for me to run out any buy something tomorrow. I do plan on at the very least looking at some used offers to see what I see.

I'm about to taking a look at some of the other Atomic models that aren't $2,000 and make a spreadsheet to compare to what I already had and some of the suggestions from this thread and go from there, and probably check out a few used pieces.

Another thing, while I've got everyone here in a reg-centered topic: I've only dove with Yoke so far, though I'm not ruling out the possibility of traveling somewhere where they use DIN. Is there any disadvantage to buying a DIN reg w/ adapter, besides costing a little more?

It was terribly unreliable, I can only assume a bad design. My LDS also stopped selling them as apparently they were in the shop more often than the water.

You guys are all just making this harder for me, you know that? :)

Seriously though, I appreciate all of the input.

I feel like I will probably go with something new for my first set of gear. It could well be a poor financial decision, but the idea of buying something so related to my safety from a stranger who has used it is still kind of weird to me. Also, and maybe this is me being silly, then it's MY first set of gear... Know what I mean? That being said, I may change my mind on that. After all, the water's a bit chilly for me to run out any buy something tomorrow. I do plan on at the very least looking at some used offers to see what I see.

I'm about to taking a look at some of the other Atomic models that aren't $2,000 and make a spreadsheet to compare to what I already had and some of the suggestions from this thread and go from there, and probably check out a few used pieces.

Another thing, while I've got everyone here in a reg-centered topic: I've only dove with Yoke so far, though I'm not ruling out the possibility of traveling somewhere where they use DIN. Is there any disadvantage to buying a DIN reg w/ adapter, besides costing a little more?

Almost all tropical locations in SEA use yoke predominantly but DIN can usually be had if requested in advance.

Almost all tropical locations in SEA use yoke predominantly but DIN can usually be had if requested in advance.

Understood, though I'd like to travel out of tropical regions at some point.
Would using an adapter compromise the stability at all?
Is this even something I should worry about? (Aren't there tank adapters that could convert to Yoke, if necessary?)

This:

2AD84180-F0DA-4232-A501-AE943657A6D4.jpeg

I use DIN at home, and sealed cold water regs.

i Bought a couple of old conshelf yoke first stages for travel.

I must say that i prefer DIN, and on most places today they have the DIN valves with yoke-dounut insert, so if you use a DIN regulator all that is needed is a 10mm allen key, and they most of the time have that in the shop or on the boat. But be shure to check with the operator in advance or pack an adaptor. Maybe they have old tanks with old valves.

Atomic make the best value even if they are slightly more expensive to buy in the beginning. They take the abuse of a rental fleet and still go on for years without needed service. Again, M1 is best value for personal private use.

(though I could be incorrect there - no one has defended the Sherwood SR2's).

Can't defend it 'cause I haven't used one, it's above my price point. On the other hand, I've used Magnums and Blizzards over the years and have been quite pleased with their performance and reliability.

Looking at eBay, Sherwoods do not hold their value as well as other brands such as Scubapro, Atomic, and Aqualung.

That may be true about the new high end Sherwood's, however in the most part, the lower resale is more a function of the lower initial price. And with buying anything used, it is imperative that one knows what they are buying, especially with old Sherwood first stages.

Bob

Where would you dive where they only have DIN tanks? Yoke is pretty well established in the U.S. and Caribbean, and SE Asia as well. There is a big disadvantage to using the adapter; it puts the reg an extra inch or so closer towards your head which can be a real problem, it depends on how high your tank is and what your BC set up is. On top of that, using the adapter immediately cancels out the perceived benefit of the DIN connection.

While choosing between brands, prices, etc...can be pretty confusing, this one is easy. If you mostly dive with yoke tanks, buy a yoke reg. If you dive mostly with DIN tanks, buy DIN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom