Buying my first wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattia_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, the Oceanic Accels are on the way, have the regs, have the BC, just one (crucial) bit of gear left to buy - exposure protection.

I'm a warm water diver - Bonaire is about as cold as it gets, plus or minus a few degrees - and that's what I'm looking to buy for. My LDS primarily stocks Waterproof gear, and I gave the W3 a try-on. Fit is great (little tight on the seals, but not uncomfortably so), but I'm wondering whether I wouldn't be happier with a slightly thicker (but pricier, and heavier, and thus more annoying to travel with) W1 5mm semi-dry.

Anyone have thoughts on the matter? We're off to Indonesia (Raja) in about a month, so availability factors into it a bit as well...

Unless you get really cold, a 3mm is OK in Raja Ampat. The water is usually 28 or 29 degrees C with the rare colder thermocline. I find a battered old 3mm wetsuit is OK and see people diving in shorts too. However my daughter prefers to be very snug in a 5mm suit. I don't know Waterproof but if it fits, is comfortable and available, why not?
Have a great trip!

3mm with a good hooded vest. If it is cold enough for a 5mm, it is cold enough for a hood, and if it is cold enough for a hood, it is most certainly cold enough for a hooded vest. Get a W3 and a U1. Purchase at the same time to make sure the U1 will go under the W3, shouldn't be an issue as it is only 3mm.

Waterproof makes great suits. I own a 7mm W1. High quality, takes a beating. If I were you, I would buy a 3mm then get a core warmer to fit underneath. You will have more flexibility for different conditions and will be glad you did. There's times during a week of diving, usually at the end of a vacation that I get chilled easier esp during a night dive. Nice to be able to layer another suit when chilled and also take it off for warmer temps.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm leaning heavily towards the W3 and a (hooded) vest to go under it, since I don't tend to get particularly cold in warm water locations - wetsuit diving in 17-18 degree (C) water is another story, but that's not something I do a whole lot of. Will go try the suit on again Saturday, a little unsure about the sizing and need to make sure. The ML/Tall is ever so slightly tight around the ankle and wrist seals, but length and the rest of the fit is spot-on, so I figure that will stretch a little when wet/when in use.

I am fine with 3mm suit in Malta where water was 22c below thermocline (26c above) but my wife got cold with same suit.

Then again, I did my OWD in 7+5, wetsuit in waters down to 6c and that was fine too, so you never know :)

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm leaning heavily towards the W3 and a (hooded) vest to go under it, since I don't tend to get particularly cold in warm water locations - wetsuit diving in 17-18 degree (C) water is another story, but that's not something I do a whole lot of. Will go try the suit on again Saturday, a little unsure about the sizing and need to make sure. The ML/Tall is ever so slightly tight around the ankle and wrist seals, but length and the rest of the fit is spot-on, so I figure that will stretch a little when wet/when in use.

Tight around the ankles and wrists is ok as long as blood flow is not restricted. I would be more concerned about tightness around the neck. When you get in the water the suit will probably feel even better. Tight seals will help keep the suit warmer by restricting water flow into and out of the suit. If the seals are too uncomfortable, do not count on the seals to stretch comfortably. My own suit is still as tight as the day I bought it and I've several seasons on it. Again, Waterproof is a well made suit.

It's comfortable enough, no restricted blood flow, just feels tighter than I'm used to - but I'll be honest and say I'm only 'used' to cheap rental wetsuits, so this is the first higher end suit I've donned.

I've got a W4 5mm.
I've used it in the Janurary water of southern Maine to the Janurary water of the Persian Gulf.

In Maine you pour a thermos of hot water down the neck seal before entering the water and you're good for 45-50min(s) no problem. Upon getting out, you dump the gear out side the vehicle, get in vehicle, get dried off and change. Exit the vehicle collect your gear and go.

Here in the Middle East, I wore it on a few dives this winter. It was a bit warm, but not uncomfortable.

Go with the Waterproof if you can afford it, you won't be sorry.

I have a Waterproof W4 5mm too.
In Hurghada I did one dive when the water temperature went from 17C up to 22C. (End of January). The suit was comfortable to get in and out of and though it handled temperatures 20C and above I did find it a little chilly below that.
One thing about the W4 - I needed a lot of weight to sink it. After a few days it lost some of its buoyancy but I was amazed at how buoyant it was.

I also have the W3.
The W3 is a better fit for me so for temperatures > 24C I'd use that as it's more comfy topside and underwater (and a lot less buoyant :) )

I use 4th Element Xerotherms as a base layer for drysuit diving. I took the Xerotherms with me to Egypt.

The socks were very useful inside my boots - stopped chafing from my boots and prevented my feet from getting cold on deck - the socks dry very quickly in the wind.

Because the air temperature in Hurghada was less than the sea temperature I found the Xerotherm top very effective to change into after a dive - a nice layer to dry off in and keep the wind away. (A lot of people used a towel for the same reason but it took them a little longer to get drier as they shivered :))
Now I wouldn't go out and buy a set just for warm water diving but if you do have a set it's worth taking with you.

Back
Top Bottom