Buying used equipment - Bad idea or Good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked my LDS once about buying used from them. They told me they don't sell their used stuff to the general public because it is completely worn out. They sell all of their used gear to a broker in Mexico...

EEK! And who buys it from there? Individuals? Or dive shops?

With so much pretty stuff on the second hand market, why buy the ratty? Even ratty looking tanks and regs may have a lot of life left in them, but it must be hard to set a price point that sells without inspiring customers to wonder why they should pay 2X, 3X, or 4X for new stuff if the LDS warrants the used stuff as still serviceable.

I love looking for and buying used stuff. It helps if you know exactly what you want, and are willing to be patient and wait for a good deal to surface. That means spending time every day trawling the boards' classifieds sections to see if today will be 'your day'. Is it a slow process? Sure, but the deals you'll obtain will be absolutely worth it, and the high you get from acquiring a bargian is also priceless. People are always thinning out their dive closets, often to make room for new stuff, so there are definitely deals to be had.

In the past 18-months, I've finished pillaging my SO's dive closet (he's chucked his open circuit gear in favor of a rebreather) and turned my focus onto other people's unwanted items. I've acquired a used regulator, a set of doubles (with manifolds and bands), a singles wing, and a canister light for very decent prices. The merchandise was shipped without incident, and the equipment has all worked flawlessly. It's gotten to the point where I simply don't see the logic of buying anything new...no, I tell a lie. Some specific top-quality items don't turn up very often, because no-one wants to get rid of them, so there are times when one must bite the bullet and order the new item in question directly from the manufacturer. Oh, the horror.

As a newbe too I looked at SB for some good deals on used regs/computers. I was able to get a Mares rebel fully set up with spg and Octo for 160$ and it was only less than 10 dives on it. I also got 2 al tanks for 160$. The deals on scuba equipment in canada are not as good as in the US but still good price for my tanks. I algo bought used weights. The rest i bought new because i had a good deal with LDS yearly sale..

I asked my LDS once about buying used from them. They told me they don't sell their used stuff to the general public because it is completely worn out. They sell all of their used gear to a broker in Mexico...

I can see a wetsuit being "completely worn out" after a few years of use, especially if it gots used in a chlorinated pool a lot.

BC's??? Again, maybe if they were used in chlorine (a lot).

Regulators?????? If the shop really believes that a regulator that is only a few years old is "worn out".... they are either not maintaining it properly while it is part of their rental / class fleet (which should make you run, not walk, away from that shop).... Or they want to sell you a new one. Period.

My guess is they simply want to sell you new gear. If the gear they sell to the "broker in Mexico" is really so worn out they would not sell it to their own customers.... again I'd hesitate doing business with them. If they really feel the gear is completely worn out it should be trashed, not sold to a fellow diver anywhere. :shakehead:

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom