C5050 - Card Cover Open Error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptRandy

Registered
Reaction score
We've just bought a C5050/pt-015 and will be trying it out in Belize the week of May 1st. While practicing on land with it, an error pops up from time to time saying the card cover is open. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you found a solution? This is a new camera right out of the box purchased from BUYDIG.com.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

was the card cover opened and you didn't know? that could be the problem but ive never experience that when ive used the 5050

No, that would be to easy. It is when it's closed.

Maybe you should take it to your local photo store and see if they know what the problem is and fix it. I think they would be able to fix it in time.

It works but that annoying periodic warning is not right. It doesn't happen while in the housing (i.e. No contact with the door). I'm going to call olympus but will probably take it on the trip then have it repaired after returning. I think it's a design flaw because a thread on a different board showed the same problem.

I have the same problem with mine frome time to time but I have never pursued correcting it. I just deal with it.

dave

It may be more of a pain than anything to have it fixed. If it's a design flaw then how could they repair ir? On the photo board where I saw other people have had this problem, someone said the Olympus just replaced the camera and the new one did it too! The camera is discontinued so what else would they do, send a 5060? Then I would need to get a new housing, etc...

Yeah, I've had the same problem...

It's in the putting the card in.. typically you put it in and it clicks (so to speak).. if you delay removing your finger-push, it does something to the card and makes a Disconnect, although in looking at it, it looks just fine.. and the cover closes...

I've found, through many frustrating dives, to put the camera in the case, test the strobes, and take a picture or at least to turn it on... ABOVE WATER !!!... LOL.. and BEFORE you get ready to splash in... that way you know it will work. typically I'll leave it on as the knobs are hard to tell if on or in manual mode or inbetween, as it'll sleep mode anyway or just flick off the viewer. 5 minutes won't make a difference to the battery life, but will make a difference when you're down at the bottom and flick it on, only to see a card error or Card Full as I remebered I didn't delete the old one... as your buddy swims off, thinking you're taking his/her picture.. heheh...
but, yeah, just take the card out and put it back in again and turn it on BEFORE you put either in the case (easier) or definately BEFORE you splash in the water...
Heheh...bummer, probably missed the the Whale shark???
Hope that helps..
oly 4040, tetra w/2 SB105..

re: repairs?... as I have the fun experience of several floods... bottom line? get a back up camera... they can repair them, apx $100 LESS than a new one, but will discontinue after a few years when they stop making the model. If you think about it... the UW Set up becomes a "Door-stop" if you lost the camera, they can't fix it and there aren't any refurbished ones on e-bay...

Gotta get a back up just in case...

I have both an E-10 and a 5050. I don't know what batteries everyone is using but I have noticed a few similar errors when my NIMH run low and I change batteries. Especially if I am shooting a lot of stuff quickly or using a lot of juice for the internal flash. Removing and replacing batteries usually does the trick for me. NIMH lose a small percentage of power every day after they are charged. And some of the newer cameras eat batteries up and maybe only use the top 30-40% of the battery before it needs new ones. That combined with a fresh set that was charged 2 weeks ago and lost maybe 15-20% of life while sitting may be enough to cause the glitch. I know the next question everyone is about to ask, what brand or rating batteries am I using? Well, I had ordered (12) sets of (4) (48 batteries) GP 1800mAh NIMH and used the Rayovac 1 hour charger but let it go a little longer because these batteries are 1800 and the Rayovac came with 1600. Anyway, they started acting squirrely after about 1-1/2 years so I recently replaced them with 2300 mAh NIMH from Lenmar and used the Lenmar charger designed for it. The charger is takes a few extra minutes but charges at a cooler temperature giving more life to the batteries. I was told that the 1 hour charger works great but it fries the batteries internally and after time, like mine did, will die. I have used the new Lenmar's in both extreme cold and extreme heat and they have done well provided they were charged recently. Batteries that sat 2 or more weeks after being charged did not fare as well. Hope this helps.

yeah, I had the same problem initially... I later found out that ReCharges loose 1% per day... so 30 days 30% (although probably more). Having gone through a number of dives with batteries krapping out on the 10th shot, I'm now in the habbit of recharging JUST before the dive... ie 2 nights before for 2 sets (1 set = 1 dive).. and I replace the Camera batteries (Oly C-4040) after each dive, strobes after the 2nd dive... and seems to work. These are the older recharged 1600...I also learned that not all recharges are the same.. the Maha.. are the best.. and finally, while charging, I have to figure out how many sets I need, 3 per dive 2 for both strobes 1 for the camera.. only strobes go for 2 dives so total of 4 for 2 dives... heheh.. clear?? confuses me?
I drain them on the charger and then it recharges them automatically... but suppose to drain them down if they still have 75% juice in them or something like that...
Anyway, it seems to work that way...

Hope that helps..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom