Cabo or Corridor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great photography- kinda off topic on what I'm asking at this point. Thank you for sharing.

Vanwormer Resorts have dive shop that you can book your boat dive to Cabo Pulmo. You can book rooms from them too, but I haven't stayed in their resort. I only stayed in the 3 places mentioned previously, i.e., Buena Vista Beach Resort, Rancho Leonero and Cabo Pulmo. The latter is right on the Marine Park, so it's only 5 min boat ride to the dive site.

If you would like some detailed info about diving in the corridor vs the arch (cabo) I would suggest that you contact Jay from Dive Ninjas. He does work for a shop in the marina but he will give you impartial advice and he also does a lot of private trips and freelancing. This is his email.
info@diveninjaexpeditions

I've done about 10 dives in both places and a few dives at the gordo banks and can say from my limited experience that both had their positives. Yes there will be a lot of ppl and a lot of boats at the arch but it is still a good dive site and worth at least one dive. Lots of macro there.
Simple fact is there aren't many dive sites in each area, not enough to do more than about three days of diving so you will need to dive both spots to keep your trip fresh.

Personally I think the best way to experience diving in Baja Sur is to dive all the spots, you can have a really nice dive trip splitting the trip between Cabo, San Jose del Cabo, Cabo Pulmo and La Paz. They are all very unique and within 2-3 hours of each other (driving). Roads are very safe and it is very cheap to rent a car (about $30 a day).

I wouldn't book a trip to Cabo Pulmo, go there yourselves. It is a very large difference in price and all the diving there is done from just a few shops, all the customers end up on the same boats regardless of where they book their trip.
If you do decide to go diving in Cabo Pulmo contact Manuela, she is a freelance dive instructor there and will help you out to book dives or a place to stay.
bluepassion.baja@gmail.com

La Paz has whale sharks and sea lions, there are sea lions at some of the other spots but none beat the colony at Los Islotes because of the large number of juveniles. They really are a lot of fun and worth the day trip. I have a lot of dives and they still make me smile.

Water temps in August are warming up, I wear a 3mm...

My husband and I are considering Cabo the end of July early August-thoughts on water temps and visibility during this time?

Sorry, been out of town and didn't have my dive log with me. Last August when we were at Cabo, the temperatures ranged from 79 to 82 degrees. We had one dive where I did hit 74 degrees in a thermocline at 100 feet. I was wearing a 1 mm and was perfectly comfortable, although I did feel the chill in that thermocline. Visibility was pretty good, probably about 50 feet or so.

We have dove with several shops there, the two padi five star shops are dive Cabo and manta. Manta has more boats but is very pricey. Dive cabo has a sister shop with a smaller boat that does gordo banks shot some awesome videos there in October. There are several mom and pop shops that don't really have websites that
Book out of the resorts. Smaller boats and more flexible. We are going to try nautilus tech in October they are on the los Cabo's passport which I highly recommend looking into

I'm jumping the gun a little bit as I have a trip coming up between now and when I will be going to Cabo San Lucas in mid-January, but I like to plan ahead.

Have a place to stay for a couple of weeks a few minutes drive from the marina and already know of the dive ops mentioned in this thread, but am more concerned about the following:

1. What are the water conditions this time of year (anyone that can check their logbooks) and is there a difference between the temps from the marina to the corridor to Cabo Pulmo? Need to make a decision on whether to take 3mm wetsuit or rent 5mm (or 7mm) while there. Can I expect to be able to dive most any day or do the dive ops limit dives because of rough water conditions during this time of year (mid-January)?

2. Is it best to book a Cabo Pulmo dive through a dive op at the marina that provides transportation or drive there (we will have car) and book dives with someone there? If so, are there any dive ops that can be contacted in CP? I found only one on-line at the Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort.

Same questions regarding Gordo Banks.

3. Since whale sharks are in season, where is one likely to see those? Again, best to book with dive op that provides transportation or drive to location and book with op there?

Appreciate any info.

3mm won't cut it in January. I use a 5mm with hood, most dive instructors I know use a 7mm.
It will be cheaper if you drive to Cabo Pulmo. The drive is easy and rent a cars in Mexico are very cheap.
The trip advisor page for Cabo Pulmo has a full list of the dive "shops". There are also independents.
Whether you book a tour from cabo or go there yourself the diving trip will be very similar.
Always a chance to see whale sharks at Gordo but a small one. If you want to be guaranteed to see them you need to go to La Paz.

3mm won't cut it in January. I use a 5mm with hood, most dive instructors I know use a 7mm.
It will be cheaper if you drive to Cabo Pulmo. The drive is easy and rent a cars in Mexico are very cheap.
The trip advisor page for Cabo Pulmo has a full list of the dive "shops". There are also independents.
Whether you book a tour from cabo or go there yourself the diving trip will be very similar.
Always a chance to see whale sharks at Gordo but a small one. If you want to be guaranteed to see them you need to go to La Paz.

Thanks for the info. Glad to know there's a contact (you) right there in La Paz.

So after my last post, I was reading in a news feed about the high number of gang related murders this year in the area and the recent ones in La Paz and Cabo. Wondering what your take is on all of that? Anything to be worried about?

I was there in 2011, 2013 & 2015, but I skip 2017. If things are easing up in 2019, I may come back then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom