Calling a Dive before you even get in the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel00

Contributor
Reaction score
I was suppose to go on a shore dive this past Friday. I was a dive site that I never been before and at night. 2 guys I never dove with. Plus being it was off the beach the reef was 1/2 mile out from shore. I kinda feel like a wus for backing out of the dive. Any thoughts on the matter.

Thank

If it didn't feel right, you made the right choice. Always listen to that little voice. As Bob says, it's trying to keep you safe.

That uncomfortable feeling that causes you to call a dive is your intuition's way of telling you that it is a bad idea to go on the dive. My rule is to never go against what that little voice says. I called a dive when I had made it only to the down line when everybody else went on and enjoyed a simple dive. People with less experience than I (and the conditions were not that bad) enjoyed a safe dive. My buddy and I did not thanks to that voice. BUT, it told me it was a bad idea so I listened and enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd dives.

You did not know the people, the area (at night) plus a long swim. I see nothing wrong with listening to the voice.

I've cancelled every class I've had scheduled to teach over the last month due to the conditions - next to no visibility where the classes were scheduled. Others may continue in those conditions (and some did teach in fact), not me.

Absolutely you did the right thing for you. As ScubaSteve said, that little voice is there for a reason. What is the worst that can happen by listening to it?...miss a dive. What is the worst thing that can happen if you ignore it, and were correct?.....

Agreed...if that little voice is saying don't go then don't go. Even if nothing happened you would have had that thought in the back of your head that could distract you and cause something to go wrong. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'd say that the little voice in your head was in full agreement with a rational assessment of the dive.

sounds like you did the right thing. I've certainly called dives before getting in the water.

I agree with all the others. There is no "wuss" in scuba diving ... if something doesn't feel right, then it isn't right.

FWIW, I've called several dives over the past couple months, either due to very low visibility, wind and waves that made entry less than safe for my students, and most recently, Friday evening when I got to the dive site and could see lightning strikes not too far off.

There's always another day to dive ... so long as you keep yourself fit for it by heeding those little warnings ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Peer pressure, either direct (as in "aww c'mon, don't bail, you big wuss!) or indirect (as in, "these guys will think I'm a big wuss if I bail, and the hot diver chick will never look at me again"), is a killer - or at the very least a killer of enjoyment for everybody involved.

Sometimes this can be eliminated, however (to a point) by discussing the dive thoroughly beforehand. Consider two extreme examples:

Situation 1:
Nervous diver: "Hey guys, I'm really nervous about this, I've never done it before, what's the deal?"
Reply: "Don't worry, the reef is six metres deep, the vis is forever, there's zero current, I've been here 500 times with my buddy, and we've got all the latest lights and bells and whistles and emergency equipment, and we've got these standard procedures to follow so if you find yourself alone, just wait at the surface with your illuminated SMB and we'll be with you in a matter of minutes, we can always come back tomorrow, try it, you might like it, we'll look after you"
Hot Diver Chick: "Hey, if you're nervous, I'll hold your hand for the whole dive if you promise to take me out for dinner later"
No Longer Nervous Diver: "okay I'm sold, let's go"

Situation 2:
Nervous diver: "Hey guys, I'm not sure about this dive"
Reply: "You big wuss, call yourself a diver? Live it on the edge man, that's what diving's all about!"
Hot Diver Chick: "Are you getting dressed or not? I'm not waiting around. It's a killer site, bring it, or get out of my face!"
Previously Nervous, Now Panicking Diver: "EEEEEEK!"

Okay, I joke, but as a guide, I see this all the time. Some of that worry can be very easily eliminated by a thorough discussion of the dive site, the plan, potential hazards, knowing that the rest of the team will be giving you extra special attention during the dive; safe, thoughtful diving. If at the end of that discussion, the diver is still not comfortable then no worries. Keep the soup hot or the beer cold, and we'll see you in the pub later.

But if a diver isn't "feeling it", knows in their gut that this dive is not for them, and then is big enough to stand up and own up to their own limitations and call the dive? Well, that's *exactly* the kind of diver I want to go diving with.

Cheers

C.

Not only did you do the right thing in opting out of the dive, but remember that you no diver should ever pressure another diver to do a dive they are not comfortable doing. From "The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette, BOOK 2:

Don’t pressure your buddy to start or continue a dive.

Part of good manners is being sensitive to your dive buddy’s feelings, including how he or she feels physically and whether they are feeling stressed or anxious about doing a dive. Don’t pressure your buddy to do a dive that they don’t want to do. We saw this rule violated once when we were diving in Cozumel. A boyfriend / girlfriend buddy pair were together, and girlfriend had just completed her certification dives. Boyfriend was an experienced diver. Off we all went on a day boat to dive Columbia Wall. Girlfriend didn’t really want to do the dive. Boyfriend made a big scene, yelling at her, belittling her, blaming her for ruining the trip, and otherwise saying things that we are pretty sure led to the rapid end of their relationship. His acting out sucked all of the positive energy from the dive boat, and we did not like him. Neither did most other people on the boat. Of course, none of his efforts caused her to do the dive. Surprisingly, he found another buddy (not us) and dove without his girlfriend. (his next mistake).
Sometimes a diver is not comfortable doing a dive. Don’t pressure your buddy into doing it. Don’t even try. It’s bad manners, and it’s a bad idea for a lot of other reasons. Do you really want to dive with a "buddy" that doesn't want to do the dive, and has an attitude of resentment toward you or doing the dive?
-----------------------

Anyway, good for the op for knowing when to pass.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom