Calling All Zeagle Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up my first Zeagle and do not regret my decision what-so-ever. The versatility and adaptability are great assets. The comfort and convenience in design are ergonomically consciences. It is easy to clean and compact for travel. I noticed that the surface movement is second to none I have used in the past. I had no challenges inflating or deflating the bladder. I am so impressed with the product that I am sold on Zeagle for a very long time.

Mozz, maybe if you could tell us what you're after we could help you more. Are you trying to convince a shop to carry these bc's? Are you a shop owner yourself? Are you a consumer looking for your next bc? Since you list yourself as an instructor I presume you've been around long enough to have seen a couple of Zeagle products yourself.

I have experienced the air trapping in my Ranger, numerous times. HUGE PITA. When I contacted Zeagle, I was told that some BC's did it, and they really didn't know why. Doesn't help me much. Personally, I think the BC comes standard with too much lift. And I believe the BC would function much better if the top dump valve was centered on the BC, not off to one side. I would also like to see a third d-ring on the shoulder harnesses. Good BC and very durable, but that nasty trapping quirk blows. I like the basic overall design. With a little refinement however, it could be a great BC.

"Mozz, maybe if you could tell us what you're after"

That would help, but I dove rented gear for my ow and waited for the divers fair to purchase my own. I went with a Zeagle Stiletto, and to quote joel3739 "and do not regret my decision what-so-ever. The versatility and adaptability are great assets. The comfort and convenience in design are ergonomically consciences. It is easy to clean and compact for travel. I noticed that the surface movement is second to none I have used in the past. I had no challenges inflating or deflating the bladder. I am so impressed with the product that I am sold on Zeagle for a very long time." same can be said for my scubapro 550.

I learned with a jacket style BC and although it works great I just don't like the feeling of inflation under my arms and on my sides. All the instructor's in my dive shop dove Zeagles and they put on a Christmas special. A Ranger and a Flat Head VI, a Uwatec computer etc. I was fixed for life. My son is leaning towards the Brigade from Scubatoys due to it's easier packing for travel. The Ranger is a bit bulky but my instructor showed me how to totally unclip it and basically turn it inside out and put my wetsuit inside the straps. Not too big a package.
Customer service bar none. I met a Zeagle rep at SeaSpace in Houston Texas last year and he was finishing up restringing the ripcord. I asked to watch and he said no...sit down and do it. In a couple of minutes I went from being leery of the whole system to not worrying about it at all.
The fit on my Ranger is good. I am a very big person and I think that I am tightening the shoulders too tight and short. This causes the cumberbund to ride up and sit a little too close to my diaphragm. When this was pointed out and I made some simple adjustments, it helped tremendously.
You won't be disappointed with any Zeagle product. I have not had the inflation problems discussed here. I would like to see the upper dump valve more in the center also though.

Atticus:
tell us what you're after.
Atticus,
I am in the final phases of buying a new Zeagle BC and I find it a helpful resource to brainstorm ideas together in a forum like this. I have researched the Zeagles and taken a few for a test drive. However, I always learn so much when I can get input from other Zeagle owners. Thanks again!

Among others I use a Zeagle Ranger, an older model, medium with large shoulders.
Never liked jacket style BCDs, so a backmounted bladder is a must for me.

Pro: Versatility (choice of bladders, custom sizes, options), very high quality, stock bladder good compromise, good balance UW, very comfortable, Ripcord weight system, roll down front pocket (perfect for backup mask when using FFM), no rear weight pouches (I use steel tanks :wink: ), excellent customer service

Con: Weight, bulk, inherent bouyancy, integrated weights make ready to dive rig heavy to move around, side pockets useless when weight pockets full

My ss bp/w with a 45# Oxycheq bladder, harness and 5 D-rings weights 5# less, yet I need less weight on my harness. Liked the Ripcord system, so with the bp/w I've been using a DUI harness. I really like the separate harness, easy to transport and keeps rig more movable. Hence in hindsight I would likely prefer the semi rigid harness of the Tech (?), combined with the Ranger's comfy shoulders and would likely order it with the 35# bladder now. The good thing about Zeagle, you can actually do that. :D

Ok Mozz, I'll give a go at answering your question with my own experiences.

I own a Zeagle Ranger, a DUI BCD, and two Halcyon BP/W BCD's. I bought the DUI and the Ranger around the same time and found that I preferred the Ranger quite a bit. (Incidentally if anyone is interested in a slightly used DUI size large BCD please PM me).

About 2 years later I started diving doubles and bought a Halcyon BP/W setup. I really enjoy diving this way and eventually bought a single tank Halcyon setup as well.

These days I use the Ranger for teaching (mostly because I don't want to put my Halcyon gear in the pool) and I dive the Halcyon BP/W's for all my personal/fun dives.

The Ranger is a great back inflate BCD. When I had problems with the stitching coming out (this BCD gets used a lot, don't take that as criticism) Zeagle was quick to repair it under warranty. I would not suggest hanging anything heavier than an LP104 from it. If you're using alu80 tanks you might want to invest in the rear weight pockets, especially if you're going to end up spending time bobbing around on the surface with students.

Love my Ranger (and Zeagle regs dsIV 50d)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom