Camcorders, Housings and Lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Sony A1U in an Amphibico EVO Pro housing with the external (not HD) monitor. I've had this setup for a little over a year now, and will be taking it to Bonaire again next week. I've been very happy with this rig, and really like the one push white balance, and flip color filter. It also takes great still pictures. I have an older set of lights that I've only used on one night dive because they are very heavy, which means I need to figure out a clever way to add some bouyancy to make it user friendly. A lot of the reviews knock this cameras low light abilities, but for the blue water diving I like to do it has served me very well, or maybe my eyesight is worst than I'm willing to admit.

Anyone else out there using a similiar setup, and if so, how do you like it?

Vic

Video rookie:
I have an older set of lights that I've only used on one night dive because they are very heavy, which means I need to figure out a clever way to add some bouyancy to make it user friendly.

I met a diver once who cleverly solved the bouyancy problem with his rig by attaching a piece of a pool noodle to it. As he explained it, the foam is very bouyant at the surface, but it compresses at depth to become more neutral. Depending on how your lights are mounted, you might be able to cut a couple of pieces from a noodle with a hole in the center and just slip them over the arms. You could fine-tune the bouyancy by cutting the pieces to the right length.

Sony HC3
Light & Motion Bluefin HC3 (+ monitor + HD W/A lens)
Light & Motion miniPro HID

Sony PC120
Light & Motion Mako PC120 (+ monitor back + W/A lens)

I used to shoot with Ikelite housings (both video and stills with 2 100W pro video light heads)

I built a specific part to attach the monitor on the top of the right handle of the Bluefin HC3. This way, the housing is better balanced and can easily be manipulated with just one hand.
If you are interested, i can post pictures of the specific part (very simple to build).
PhD

Actually I built a foam float and coated it with fiberglass and resin which mounts on top of the housing, with a hole for the monitor to mount through. I've posted pictures in a different thread, "my buoyancy solution". I will be taking it to the FL keys in October for the first open water test (should be good to about 130 ft by analysis), and if all works well, on a liveaboard in the Bahamas over Xmas.

Vic

phd:
Sony HC3

I built a specific part to attach the monitor on the top of the right handle of the Bluefin HC3. This way, the housing is better balanced and can easily be manipulated with just one hand.
If you are interested, i can post pictures of the specific part (very simple to build).
PhD

I would be very interested in seeing how you did this and how it combines with the lights

I have a very similar set up ( but with the halogen lights ) and am always looking at ways to make the set up better

Thanks

I shoot with a Panasonic HVX, Gates Housing, Green Force Lights.
I am familiar with most of Gates lines, Amphibico, Light and Motion and the small point and shoot systems too. I have also worked on productions using higher end cameras too.

I have been teaching how to shoot video underwater for more than eight years. I have used tripods, different lighting systems, and film cameras.

Sony HDR HC3 with a Seatool Ultra housing Lighting is by 2 Fisheye 20's
I use Sony Vegas for my editing.

I first had a Seatool standard which had a weak latch system. The Ultra is much more sound and secure. Very compact system easy to transport and use.

The Fisheye video lights do an excellant job of even natural light. I experimented with HID lights which had a terrible hotspot and washed all the color out.

All in all light weight, easy to transport and use and it gives excellant results all this and it looks killer to boot.

DrKevbo

Sold my standard definition system.

I'm HD now.

Sony FX7 camcorder.
Gates Housing with top monitor.
Sony Vegas S/W.
Old reliable halogen lights, battery worn on my hip.

The camcorder housing combination rocks. Set white balance manually, and away you go. Great lighting and color range.

Hey great video!!! Good naration!!! I am new to videography and I am looking at UW video equipment and ran across your video. Thanx for the referral for your equipment. Did you have to do any color correction after the dive???

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the kind words on my video.

I try to get my colors as good as possible when I record. Manual white balance, filter and sun position all help a great deal.

I keep color correction during editing to a minimum.
Usually just on shots where colors were way out of balance. I do sometimes boost contrast to make things pop a little more.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom