Camcorders, Housings and Lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, just realized I responded to a post from 2004.
Soooo does anybody else have anything nice to say about the Top Dawg System II?

Adam

How complex is the Top Dawg system (i.e.: camera loading, shooting, etc.)?
Loading seems relatively straightforward. Basically you set a few camera controls, screw the camera onto the slideout tray, plug it in to the camera's Lanc port and seal the back. Probably one more jack to plug-in if you add the monitor back. (I would) It has a flat port so lens alignment is a non-issue. Although with most housings/trays that's the case.

Link to the user's manual:
http://www.topdawgvideo.com/images/TopDawgII_instructions.pdf.zip

Also, what controls does the housing let you acess while shooting underwater?
Controls
- True non-penetrating electromagnetic controls
- Easily removed for cleaning.
- Mode photo/video, Start/stop Record & Photo,
Power on/off, Zoom tele/wide, Momentary Auto Focus,
Fulltime Auto Focus, Manual Focus near/far

hth,

Hey Adam.

I used the Top Dawg system for the first time back in May in Cayman Brac. It was a used system I purchased from a lady for $1000 and it included everything like housing, lights, camera, travel case, etc.

I found the system very easy to use and I along with my diving friends were surprised at how well my video turned out. For a first timer I was quite pleased. The camera loads very easily onto the tray and there are two hookups.....the camera to the housing and the camera to the back monitor. Very easy to do. It seems to be very rugged and well built. It's built by Light and Motion for Top Dawg.

The one thing you may need to do is add a weight to the housing to make it slightly negative in the water. I'm sure that will depend somewhat on the camera used but the lady I bought it from added a two pound weight that I use cable ties to attach it to the top. It is one of the rubber coated weights so no damage is done to the housing and it doesn't get in the way at all. It makes the system perfect in the water.

The only limitations I see in my system is you have to add a color correction filter onto the camera before you place it in the housing. There is no external flip filter. I think the external flip filter is on the Stingray. Also, there is no way to manual white balance so I just set my camera on auto white balance but I was very pleased with the results.

Overall I think it is a great system and I have no doubt you will be pleased with your results. I feel sure I will upgrade my entire system one day to one with all the bells and whistles but for the next couple of years, I'll get great use from my Top Dawg set up.

BDSC

I have not been on in a while, I am still using a TRV 900 with an amphibico housing, that I really like. It is small light and easy to use. Would like to upgrade to HID some day. But right now I am looking for some lights. I have been considering the new LED lights by Light and Motion ether the 1000 or 2000 witch are still pricey. I will be using them mostly in the great lakes. The water is usually clear but dark beneath the thermocline. I was wondering If any one has any information on these lights as of yet.
Respectfully MW

Sony HVR V1U
Aqauvideo housing
Custom HID Light

Sony FX7
Light & Motion Bluefin Housing

When I bought this new HD camera last year the Gates was the only other manufacture gearing up to make a housing. I had a shoot in Tahiti and ordered two housings from Aquavideo because I was promised they would be ready before the trip. They werent. I finally received my housing and the manual controls do not line up on several functions requiring me to modify the controls.
Instead of reimbursing me for the other housing I was sent a set of used lights and an extra charger. Im still disatisfied and have ordered a Amphibico.

The upside is the housings are much cheaper, basically a large PVC tube with acrylic ends making it fairly light. The clear back allows you to use your cameras LCD saving the cost of an external monitor. In bright light its tough to see the monitor. The downside is these sophisticated cameras need sensitive controls for manual focus, white balance and changing exposures etc and the arms dont work that well. The acrylic port scratches easily.
The cylindrical shape allows too much rocking underwater so I had to add a wing to stabilize it and add a handle on the top. Ive made two other films with the housing but am ready to throw the POS in the garbage can and get a real housing. Its what you get for saving money.

I love the Bluefin housing- full electronic controls- but L&M decided not to make one for the HVR. Too bad.

Sony HVR V1U
Aqauvideo housing
Custom HID Light

Sony FX7
Light & Motion Bluefin Housing

When I bought this new HD camera last year the Gates was the only other manufacture gearing up to make a housing. I had a shoot in Tahiti and ordered two housings from Aquavideo because I was promised they would be ready before the trip. They werent. I finally received my housing and the manual controls do not line up on several functions requiring me to modify the controls.
Instead of reimbursing me for the other housing I was sent a set of used lights and an extra charger. Im still disatisfied and have ordered a Amphibico.

The upside is the housings are much cheaper, basically a large PVC tube with acrylic ends making it fairly light. The clear back allows you to use your cameras LCD saving the cost of an external monitor. In bright light its tough to see the monitor. The downside is these sophisticated cameras need sensitive controls for manual focus, white balance and changing exposures etc and the arms dont work that well. The acrylic port scratches easily.
The cylindrical shape allows too much rocking underwater so I had to add a wing to stabilize it and add a handle on the top. Ive made two other films with the housing but am ready to throw the POS in the garbage can and get a real housing. Its what you get for saving money.

I love the Bluefin housing- full electronic controls- but L&M decided not to make one for the HVR. Too bad.

You might want to check out Underseavideo.com before buying a new housing. I've used mine for over 200 dives and have never had a problem. Warren is the owner at 916 989 5438 and has always been very helpful in solving/helping me with problems which have always been my own fault and not the equipment. All electronic controls.
Lights are great and my best video's are at night. The filter he provides works so good I never use the lights during the day. It's not the prettiest housing but it certainly does the job. I hold the unit up in the air and jump in or tuck it to my chest and back roll into the water. The price was very good in comparison to other systems.

Hello All:

I just received an Equinox housing with a rear mounted monitor for my Canon HV20. Out of the package, everything looks good. I'm taking it with me on Dec 6 for a series of day and night dives on Cozumel with Aldora Divers.

The question I would like to ask is about lighting. I'm somewhat at a loss about which lights to buy. My price range is a max of 1000-1300. I like the concept of the "Ikelite Pro Video Lite 3", but is it a good light? I also like the same in the "NiteRider Balckwater 3000", but is it a good light?

Naturally I'm looking for something with a wide angle beam (no hot spots), close to the natural light spectrum.

I'm also willing to put two different lights on the housing, something for macro/closeups (less than 1 foot) and something a bit stronger for longer shots (1-5 foot range).

Your input and experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

-Rich

IMHO, stick with the filter for day dives in Cozumel. It will be pretty hard to shoot macro with the Coz currents and anything other than macro in Coz will require super powerful lights.

Night dives in Coz are great and you don't necessarily need a lot of power. Don't overlook how you will carry/mount the light battery and how it's buoyancy will affect the housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom