Camcorders, Housings and Lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great vids what program do you use for color correction when you need it

HI there Howard
At the moment i'm looking to buy a EQUINOX UK LIGHT CONNON, how does the light perform underwater and would you recomend buying such a lighting system

Thanx
Hanru

Hanru, about the UK light cannon:
I just came back from the Maldives and I used a single light UK light for some of the video, you need to use the supplied diffuser with it, it dos help add color at depth and under ledges but it also adds a lot of weight with the 8-c batteries. I find the red filter
works really well above 60'.
I also use it in the great lakes. I use 2 lights for that because it is extremely dark, they work pretty well. But plain on upgrading to a more serious lighting sores for the lakes. Overall the UK is a great all around light. Respectfully Mike W.

I used to dive with 2 UK Light Cannons. They had their place in the market when there was little competition. I have since upgraded to Brightstar 24W HID lights and never looked back. Lithium-Ion batteries, multivoltage charger and less weight speak for themselves.

I found the LC100 too much of a hassle w/ rechargeable batteries, need for disassembly to chage batteries, ballast/bulb I would not put my faith in...they now make a decent torch.

BTW: Fisheye Japan makes Li-Ion packs for the Light Cannon.

Did someone managed to have any MPK working with the new handycam HD?

I have the Sony HDR SR7, I want to buy the MPK V11. This housing was made for 8mm cameras the plug is different. It looks like a 1/8 audio jack. What I need to plug in my camera need to have a "D" shape.

Anyone of you know if it is physically possible to convert the housing to work with my camera? Thanks for your help!

I was thinking that maybe the other way around would be easier... creating come kind of converter for the HDR-SR7 to receive the Hi8 input...?

Does the SR7 have a LANC jack? That's where you would plug in the MPK-V11. Or are you asking about connecting the video output to an external monitor?

One point to consider is the port on the V11 likely won't line up correctly with the lens on your camera which will be all kinds of grief. You'll likely get visual abnormalities unless you can modify the housing tray enough to get the camera lens dead center in the port.

The 8MM cameras had the lens to the lower right. (facing the camera) On your HDR-SR7 the lens has been moved to top center. (more or less) I've owned an 8mm housing/camera combo and know that it wouldn't work with my HDR-HC1 - which is the same body as your SR7.

Are you considering the one currently on eBay? I don't think it will work, just looking at the pictures, I can see that the front port is off to the left (from the back). The port for an HDR series housing needs to be in the center.

ymmv,

After having used an old MPK-VX1 (electronics modified for digital camera's) with a TRV120 , which gave me a first go into underwater video (very sturdy combination but rahter heavy to handle above water, underwater very stable and easy), I decided to move up a couple of steps:
Sony TRV-900e 3ccd (to improve image quality)
MPK-DVF4 + close-up lens and red filter (to reduce weight and volume)
2x HVL-80DA - 50 watt each (they came from the VX1)

Quite pleased with the whole set, which is several kilo's/lbs lighter. Got all parts separately on Ebay. Great manoeuvrability and handling under and above water. Only minus: it has no manual white balance settings/switches, so only on auto.
Used it during two trips to Egypt in Sharm and Hurghada and on some 25 dives. No leakage problems, fortunately.

Editing: on HP 9420 laptop with additional external 250Gb harddisk (going to need soon another one, will get a 750 Gb) playing with both Premiere Pro 2 and Ulead Studio 11 plus. The latter has easy clip color correction possibilities, which I have not (yet) found in Premiere, but Premiere has a more professional approach, much like Final Cut Pro.

While editing I recognise a lot of mistakes (e.g. like camera held to high:shakehead:, clips too short :(, lighting wrong :no, ); there must be many more I don't even recognise yet being a beginner. But it's good fun and keeps me more concentrated on marine life than without camera.
Greetings, Vincent

Thank you Steve for your answer, I'll consider another housing solution then :(

Shroy002,

Thanks for the post. You just put me over the top to go with the Top Dawg System II. I just purchased a Sony DCR-SR220 (60 GB HDD) and it looks like the Top Dawg is just what I need to get the unit underwater. A few questions though, if you don't mind...

How complex is the Top Dawg system (i.e.: camera loading, shooting, etc.)? I'll be a new shooter once I get all set up. Also, what controls does the housing let you acess while shooting underwater? How durable/rugged is the system (including the light arms)?

My LDS has introduced me to the L&M Stingray HD but I don't have a HD system. Besides $2,500 for a complete system vs. $5,000 just speaks for itself. Any advice would help.

Thank you and enjoy your video system.
Safe and Happy Diving,
Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom