Camera Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scaldwell

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, just got back from Cozumel, my Sea and Sea u/w camera unfortunately shuffled off its mortal coil, so I'm planning to replace it.

My question is, can anyone give an opinion as to whether the insurance policies for underwater cameras are worthwhile? I would guess that they are pretty expensive and maybe tight on terms and conditions. any opinions much appreciated.

Also, and I am being lazy in not searching as this has no doubt been covered elsewhere, but what is the scoop on the Olympus branded housings? I live in Canada and I think they cost about $300, versus $700 or so for an ikelite, so you could pretty much afford to flood one and replace the camera for the cost differential. would be a bummer for your dive trip though!!!!!!

Many thanks,
Stephen

For me insurance is a must. I have enough equipment that a flood, loss or damage is more than my premium and excess. Anything that isn't worth it to me, doesn't get on the policy.

Read your policy carefully to know what you can, can't and must insure to qualify and what is covered precisely. Make sure it fits your needs. I use DEPP, but there are other options.

I have two Oly housings for my 5050s - love em. No problems and quite a few dives on them.

Insurance for two sets og gear with flood insurance on the cameras and dive computers is 110.00 through DEPP insurance. they will replace the camera if damaged with a small deductible. I know people that have used it and i wouldn'tr be without it.

I use DEPP.

Last year my YS40A strobe flooded. Less than a month later I received a replacement for a minor deductible ($50?)

This year I flooded my c5050. It's out of production now. So a month later I had a brand new c7070 delivered. Although I could have chosen any camera - not sure how they would have dealt with it if I had chosen a really expensive one though.

we insure our gear through our regular insurance provider - State Farm. we put the gear on personal items plan which covers anything that happens to your gear - lost, stolen, flooded.... and yes, we have had to use it - replaced with no problems

State Farm here as well. The policy is approximately $30.00 per year (for ~$2000.00 in equipment) and well worth it IMO.

go with either one , i use depp and i have ALL of my gear on the insurence policy, about $4500 in gear and $3000 plus in camera equipment, fully covered for any misshap and cost $180 a year and darn well worth it :wink:

DrSteve:
This year I flooded my c5050. It's out of production now.
I bought a new C-7070 this week to replace my trusty old Cybershot which flooded on the very first dive of a trip away to photograph Grey Nurse Sharks. :yuck: After that experience, and with more $$ tied up in an upgraded camera, I will be in the market for insurance. Thanks for the tips on this thread re: DEPP etc.

But...cameras are quickly superseded these days (product life cycles now seem to be measured in months). Do most insurance policies cover a replacement housing too if the original camera is no longer available and the old housing won't take the new camera?

Prune Fingers:
But...cameras are quickly superseded these days (product life cycles now seem to be measured in months). Do most insurance policies cover a replacement housing too if the original camera is no longer available and the old housing won't take the new camera?

DEPP will only cover the housing if it is broken. A pinched o ring and dead camera, but OK housing (as happened to me) means a new camera, but not new housing. I sold my housing within 1 day on scubaboard, which paid for the new one.

DrSteve:
DEPP will only cover the housing if it is broken.

where can i purchase this DEPP insurance here in southern california? and must you insure your other dive gears 1st before they can insure your camera and housing?

Back
Top Bottom