Camera setting and Strobe Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingtigger

Contributor
Reaction score
In a Frozen Pineapple Under the Sea, Great White N
Hi All,

I live in the colder part of the world (Winterpeg Canada) so testing on dives isn't really an option right now. My wife and I are going to Playa Del Carmen this winter. I have a S230 with a WP-DC600 housing and I'm just getting into using it for Scuba pictures. I plan on diving the Cenotes. First question is which strobe would work best for my set up. I am on a limited budget and plan on upgrading my whole setup once my kids get into diving (one is 3 the other is 1 Wife doesn't dive). Also how should I set my camera up to get the best pictures? (I printed out the Canon undewater guide but it doesn't make 100% sense to me)

Thanks

I'd spend a little more right now since you know you are going to change systems soon and you won't waste money on a wimpy strobe or one that won't move with you.

Contact the guys at Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros for some options and prices.

I love my Inon strobes and happily recommend them. Ikelite does great strobes and Sea&Sea also has some options that you might consider.

HTH

divingtigger,

If you're going to be shooting in the cenotes, you'll want a strobe with a wider coverage angle than the YS-27. If you're going with a Sea & Sea strobe, try the YS-110 for wide angle coverage. Just check to make sure it works with your system. I have used it both for my DSLR setup as well as with a fiber optic cord with my old Oly point & shoot system, but you may want to make sure it'll work with your camera.

divingtigger,
If you're going to be shooting in the cenotes, you'll want a strobe with a wider coverage angle than the YS-27.
Hi I am a new YS-27DX owner. I noticed on the SeaandSea.com site that the wider angle of the YS-110 is quoted with diffuser (105*105 with diffuser). Wouldn't that be true with the YS-27 (105*84) as well??
Also .. wondering why you would need the wider coverage in the cenotes.

Thanks

So even if the 110 is outside my budget range I shouldn't waste my $$ on a 27? Will the 110 work with my camera? For the extra $100 on the package I might have to steal from Peter to pay Paul (so to speak) and get the better of the two. I'll contact Reef photo but while I was looking around I noticed that their prices are higher than most other shops (But I guess you pay for the experience)

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom