Camera suggestion needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's one of my buddy's GoPro pics with that cheap light from Cayman...
20180904_223103.jpg
This upload is not at full resolution, but you get the idea. A Hero 4.

Still capture from video isn't as good as a camera on the GoPro's, but still not bad, though quick movements will be blurry in frame often. Lighting (either natural or with lights) is needed for it to turn out well though.

Shark Feed Dive.jpg

(notice the sharks are all a bit blurry, though it doesn't seem that way when watching the video this came from, same with the fish below but not quite as bad since that was shot on the 6 instead of the 3 above)
GH039803_Moment.jpg

I'd echo what others have said about the drawbacks of GoPro. That said, you can't argue with the form factor. It's small!
I just returned from a week photographing in the Cayman Is. I had my rig with arms and strobes. Yeah, nice pics.
But my buddies with GoPro came up with nice stuff, and to address the other half of the OP's initial question, their video light made a perfectly acceptable low cost dive light:
Suptig Diving Light High Power Dimmable Waterproof LED Video Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07315JD78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NtsPBb4V42R13

So, yeah the Oly will be a reasonable choice. But to answer the OP's question, a GoPro and this light makes for a very cost effective way to get started (AND have a fair dive light).

I was surprised (and chagrined) at some of their pics, given what I've spent on gear.

Good point... thx.
I asked this Q in amazon:
How long does charge last? How deep underwater can it go without leak?

This and a Ebay gopro 6 would fit the bill.

I'll also eye that Olympus tg5.... seems that can do both pics and vid.... with its flash. I might be able to use its flash for night dives lol

I use a Sealife Micro with a tray and SeaDragon video light. The light is not a strobe, but still makes for very good photos. Plus, I use the light as my primary when night diving, which is HUGELY BRIGHT.

Note too that the Micro is a sealed camera, with no housing to leak or need maintenance.

View attachment 480917

Good one! Same price as Olympus TG5 ..
How long does light last say for continuous use in night dives?

How deep can sea life go without a housing for water proofing?

Here's one of my buddy's GoPro pics with that cheap light from Cayman...
View attachment 480929
This upload is not at full resolution, but you get the idea. A Hero 4.
That's amazing.... can't believe...
That's what i want good clarity, not professional...
Enough to save for memories and share with non diving friends to make them jealous.

Can't beat the gopro small size that's convenient

How long does light last say for continuous use in night dives?

TG-5 does not have a continuous light; it has a flash. A flash pulses for less than a millisecond at a time, which can be used for still photographs, but not for video, or to light your way in the darkness. Additionally, on-camera flashes have two problems that make them unsuitable for underwater use:

1. They're weak. Underwater, you're not dealing with lack of light; you're dealing with the fact that the natural light that you do get is strongly tinted towards blue (or green, in freshwater). This happens because water naturally absorbs red and yellow light, and the deeper you dive, the less red you have left from the natural sunlight spectrum. At 30m, red is pretty much gone completely, and you have to bring it with you. Regardless of depth, in order to render good color, your flash (or, as they're usually referred to, in order to avoid confusion with flashlights, your strobe) needs to not just light the subject, but overwhelm the blue-tinted natural light. Counter-intuitively, this takes a lot more light on day dives than on night dives, since at night, you're not competing with the sun for color spectrum.
2. They produce backscatter. Unlike land photography/videography, when you dive, you almost always deal with particulates that are suspended in the water, be it silt, plankton or whatever. When your light source is placed right next to the lens, as is inevitable for an on-camera flash or LED, these small particles in the water reflect its light right back into the lens - this is called backscatter, and it manifests as small bright dots all over your image. In order to avoid it, you need to shine your light, regardless of whether it is a continuous source or a strobe, from off-axis to your lenses line of sight. You can appreciate this effect even without a camera - next time you go on a night dive in water that is not totally clear, try holding your torch right next to your face, then stretch your arm sideways and compare.

Together, these two factors result in on-camera flashes being useful underwater only at very, very short distances - single centimeters, i.e. an inch or two in US-speak. This close, the light they emit does not yet get a chance to dissipate into uselessness, and the lens/flash parallax is large enough to avoid backscatter coming into view. Any further and you start having problems.

Here is a very minor example of backscatter - I had off-camera strobes, but because I was shooting a fisheye lens with a very wide field of view, some of their light ended up in line with the lens and bounced back. Note the many bright dots on the bottom right of the image: https://i.imgur.com/IB4nHaN.jpg

Edit: I think I misunderstood your post - if you were referring to the Sea Dragon 2500 light that SeaLife bundles with their Micro 2.0 camera, it is rated for 1 hour burn time at full power.

How deep can sea life go without a housing for water proofing?

SeaLife DC2000 is rated to 18m without a housing, 60m with a housing. SeaLife Micro 2.0 is permanently sealed and is rated to 60m by itself. DC1200, DC1400, etc, are discontinued - the only cameras that SeaLife sells right now are DC2000 and Micro 2.0.

Thx barma....

How do you all use the camera for a week of diving. .
Move all pics to laptop every night?

The SeaLife Micro 2.0 is like $500 yikes! Love that it needs no housing to 150 feet.

Hoping to find a float attachment or holder to whatever i decide to get..... just in case i drop the camera it'd float.

I'm not diving for at least 6m so...

Do these ever come on sale during black Friday?
The SeaLife Micro 2.0, Olympus TG5, gp7?

On a liveaboard, I generally dump the photos into my laptop after every dive. On a day boat or shore diving, every evening when I get back to my room.
UW photography is a money pit of a hobby, no two ways around it - looking at my expenses sheet, it has cost me about $5000 so far, and I'm still looking at another $1k or so for a macro lens and port.
In order to keep all that money from floating away, I use a spring retractor, which I clip off to my BCD, and only detach to hand the camera rig to the boat crew. My rig is fairly large and heavy though - for a SeaLife compact you can use their wristband - Sealife Cameras
Not an American, so no idea about black friday. You can probably get a better deal if you shop around for used stuff. I just saw an offer posted in the marketplace forum here for an almost new (one dive) Sony RX100V, Fantasea housing, two spare batteries and a case for $700 - that's a pretty awesome combo that costs over $1300 in a store.

There's another option for video that's interesting too: Paralenz. It has a depth sensor and adjusts color correction realtime based on your depth (and also gives you a nice depth OSD if you want it in your videos). I don't own one but I've heard good things. Review: Paralenz Underwater Action Camera – DeeperBlue.com

Paralenz size and shape amazing, can attach to mask! If only it'd been around$300 ~I'd have bit...

Couple of complaints in YouTube about app not connecting, sd card not recognized.....

Plus when in a LOB, there's no wifi anyway what do you do then? Maybe use cable to download pics....

Thx anyway I'll add it to the list!

Back
Top Bottom