Can an Apeks XTX200 Status first stage regulator be converted to a regular XTX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kfilly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Everyone,

I can get a good deal on an Apeks XTX200 Status regulator. However, I do not believe that function is necessary so I was wondering if it could simply be removed from the regulator and changed with the regular XTX200 environmental sealing cap. Is that possible to do? Or are the inner works of the Status regulator modified for the "mini computer" to function? If anyone knows the answer to this question, could you please inform me.

Thanks in advance,

Kfilly

If the status stops working then it's basically a normal environmental seal :-D

And yes you can change them, not sure how expensive or where to get it done, but you can probably buy a normal environmental seal and install it yourself

There are several parts you'd need to order through a local authorized Aqualung/Apeks dealer. If you provided the parts to a reg tech at the time of reg overhaul, he should be able to do the conversion at no additional cost.

The parts you need to do the conversion include: valve lifter (AP#5722), diaphragm (AP#1478, comes in standard overhaul kit), spring carrier (AP#1476), diaphragm clamp (AP#14731), spring adjuster (AP#1474), and hydrostatic transmitter (AP#1483).

You can reuse the end cap (AP#1484), hydrostatic diaphragm (AP#14821 or 1482, comes in standard overhaul kit), and spring (AP#1475) already installed in the Status first stage.

Looking at the parts list, I'd be willing to bet that the parts will cost in excess of $100. I'm basing this on past experience purchasing small metal and plastic parts for Apeks regs from authorized dealers. They certainly aren't cheap.

In the end, you're going to come to the realization that the "downgrade" to non-Status just isn't worth it.

You can certainly use the Apeks FSR Status first stage even if the battery dies. If you are interested in doing a one-time check of the intermediate pressure being put out by the first stage during your pre-dive checks, simply connect a standalone analog i.p. gauge that attaches to a BCD inflater hose.

I was just wondering if it was even possible to convert the regulator. I think the Status feature is kind of a gimmick so I was looking to remove it. Plus, it adds a little bit of weight and bulk to the regulator. Not much, but every little bit counts when traveling. I also think it is better to check the first stage regulator with an intermediate pressure testing gauge. However, I have not seen too many people do that as a part of their regular pre-dive checks. Thanks for the response. At least, I know it is possible to convert the regulator.

Thanks again,

Kfilly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom