Can I get bent in a pool? Terrible pain in my joints.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFreak:
Guys getting bent in a pool is a very real possibility and has happened in the past.
If you spent over an hour in the pool and you ascend and descend regularly enough and too fast, there is absolutley a chance of possible "bending" (:wink:)
I'm not saying this is what has happened, but it most certainly can!

Check with DAN and let us know.

SF

This has happened? What is your source of information?

I dive in my pool regularly with a respectful regard for decompression requirements, and have never exceeded any no stop limit.:D

Davidstealey3:
as for Charles, remember back to your training when you were told the biggest change of pressure was the first 33 feet. that is because this is the first doubling of pressure on your body. while it might be uncommon to get bent in 8 feet, if you spend enough time, go up and down alot, and add other factors of DCS to the secnerio, you can still stand a chance to get bent.

He was using EAN 36 --that means he was not loading nitrogen in any appreciable manner. On Nitrox, your body reacts to depth a bit differently, essentially subtracting some depth. So, from a nitrogen absorption perspective, this guy was pretty much on the surface the entire time.

Also, the point about the biggest change in pressure in the first atmosphere, in DCS situation is more about coming up from a deeper depth; the final ATA is where there would be the most impact. But again, that would not really mean much in this situation.

Jeff

Both Dan and my Dr. ruled out any possibility that this was related to my diving in my pool.
The Doctor still isn't sure what caused this yet but I am leaning toward an intense case of gout. He agreed that this was a possibility.
Prior to this problem I was on a high protein diet, (trying to lose some weight) I lost about 30 lbs. However this high level of Protein in my blood caused an excess of uric acid in my blood. The acid settled in my joints and soft tissue and formed needle-like crystals. This caused the terrible pain & swelling.

I did a lot of research on the internet and drastically changed my diet, cutting out almost all protein, (untilo this is over) the symptoms are almost gone now, no thanks to my HMO.
He made me wait a whole week in agony before he finally referred me to a rhumatologist. He could have done that the same day the first time I saw him. There was only 1 Rhumatologist on out HMO plan and they said they couldn't see me until the end of October. It was like pulling teeth to get the HMO to approve a different Rhumatologist that could see me the next day.

Also too, he told me that it would take a week for the blood tests to come back but the receptionist told me that the test were back the next day. I am changing to a PPO as soon as possible,

I was very dehydrated before, so now I am drinking a lot more water & a lot less Jack & Coke.

I'm glad you finally got some resolution to your problems. Get well soon and get back to diving!

Interesting that you mentioned hip pain and finger joint pain, since these are symptoms that I have been exhibiting for weeks now. When I did a bit of reflecting back on all my activities, I realized that my hip pain started when I got new fins and started using a different kicking style to compensate. The finger joint pain is most likely due to carrying tanks by the valve. Oh, and I just had a birthday and realized I'm getting old. Have you been experimenting with different equipment or swimming styles that might have thrown your muscles and joints for a loop?

There is some argument about how deep you must dive in order to get bend. I've heard figures (from competent authorities) of 24 and 27 feet as the maximum depth a diver could saturate and then come safely to the surface (just because the PADI tables start at 35 feet don't you go saturating at 34 feet and expect to be OK).

Bends at 8 feet? No.

harleyxx:
the symptoms are almost gone now, no thanks to my HMO.
He made me wait a whole week in agony before he finally referred me to a rhumatologist. He could have done that the same day the first time I saw him. There was only 1 Rhumatologist on out HMO plan and they said they couldn't see me until the end of October. It was like pulling teeth to get the HMO to approve a different Rhumatologist that could see me the next day.

Also too, he told me that it would take a week for the blood tests to come back but the receptionist told me that the test were back the next day. I am changing to a PPO as soon as possible

Good thing we don't have socialized medicine in the U.S. :wink:

Glad to hear your problems are not diving related and under control.

Gout sounds as a possible explanation. Usually uric acid starts to precipitate when it reaches level of 8mg/dL or higher in blood. Sometimes it is much higher but w/o any symptoms because it can stay as oversaturated solution in bloodstream. But because solubility is temperature dependent any drop in body temperature (e.g. diving) may induce massive precipitation. Hydration of course is another factor.

Back
Top Bottom