Can it be better than Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steeo217,

Can't comment on any place other than Cozumel or the Keys. Since my wife and I got certified in 05 we did our first 40ish dives in the Keys and the next 70 in Cozumel. (7 trips and number 8 in March of this year) We keep wanting to try somewhere else but when we look at the numbers we can visit and dive Cozumel for about a third less than any where else. This is flying out of Atlanta. Flying to the Caymans is cheaper but everything else is higher. Diving on Bonaire is not to expensive but the flights are higher.

We do not do AI and really enjoy exploring the city of San Miguel on Cozumel. We have visited probably 35 different eating establishments on Cozumel and Margaritaville is the only one were were disappointed with. Casa Dennis is the only restaurant we normally visit on the "square" and the only time we had any trouble finding a place open was on Christmas morning in 07.

We are looking for a fall trip this year and maybe will finally make it to another location. Looking at Saba, Bonaire, Caymans or maybe a cruise that stops at Grand CAyman, Roatan, Cozumel and Belize to help us decide on our next destination. The cruise is the least expensive option since we can drive to Tampa and vacations to go has some good deals @ <$600 pp and the diving should average no more than $100 pp per location. So if we dive at all ports, should be approx $1000 pp and dive at 4 different locations all of which are rated as very good diving. Decisions, Decisions

steeo217,

Can't comment on any place other than Cozumel or the Keys. Since my wife and I got certified in 05 we did our first 40ish dives in the Keys and the next 70 in Cozumel. (7 trips and number 8 in March of this year) We keep wanting to try somewhere else but when we look at the numbers we can visit and dive Cozumel for about a third less than any where else. This is flying out of Atlanta. Flying to the Caymans is cheaper but everything else is higher. Diving on Bonaire is not to expensive but the flights are higher.

We do not do AI and really enjoy exploring the city of San Miguel on Cozumel. We have visited probably 35 different eating establishments on Cozumel and Margaritaville is the only one were were disappointed with. Casa Dennis is the only restaurant we normally visit on the "square" and the only time we had any trouble finding a place open was on Christmas morning in 07.

We are looking for a fall trip this year and maybe will finally make it to another location. Looking at Saba, Bonaire, Caymans or maybe a cruise that stops at Grand CAyman, Roatan, Cozumel and Belize to help us decide on our next destination. The cruise is the least expensive option since we can drive to Tampa and vacations to go has some good deals @ <$600 pp and the diving should average no more than $100 pp per location. So if we dive at all ports, should be approx $1000 pp and dive at 4 different locations all of which are rated as very good diving. Decisions, Decisions

I think it is time you tried a new destination! Caymans are expensive, for sure, especially if you only want to do 2 dives per day. Little Cayman is probably the best value but still a bit pricey.

Roatan is a great place for you to go - the vis isn't as good as Cozumel but you are able to do more than 2 dives per day and see a whole new variety of fish. :D Check out my Roatan trip reportl

Bonaire is awesome and vis is closer to Coz, but the best thing is the ease of diving. Just walk right into the water and you are at a gorgeous healthy reef! Another great thing about Bonaire is the fact that it is a diver/snorkeler's only island. No big touristy thing going on - just divers, a few scattered shops and restuarants. Nothing else. Oh, and no current - no drift diving. :D Check out my videos.

Belize is another one that you might enjoy. Lots of diving and also topside activities galore! Ambergris Caye is the place to check out. Yes, it is a bit more than Cozumel but the fish and vis will be the same, just very little current so not drift diving.

robin:D

Folks from England see the Red Sea in the same way. We think of it as pure exotica. (It does have a lot of nice wrecks, but the Caribbean has better critters)

You've obviously never actually dove the Red Sea or you would have never made this comment.

so where do I spend the night after getting into Cancun in midafternoon so that I can wake up the next am, go for a few dives off Cozumel and make it down to Tulum Friday night? Thanks!!

so where do I spend the night after getting into Cancun in midafternoon so that I can wake up the next am, go for a few dives off Cozumel and make it down to Tulum Friday night? Thanks!!

:confused: what? I am confused....

So you want to fly into Cancun in midafternoon...spend night in Cozumel and dive one day, then head back over to mainland to Tulum? Is that what you are asking? How many days at each place? Taking the ferry from PDC to Coz?
Cozumel has at least a hundred hotels and dive ops to choose from. Tulum has much less. Prices range from dirt cheap to $$$$ at both.
If you are defintely going to one or both of these places, look at getting one of the maps.
Can-Do Travel Guides
these maps are more like travel guides with all the hotels, dive ops, restaurants, prices of taxis, buses, schedules....anything you need for a trip. It only takes a week to get one in the mail and they help tremendously with planning a vacation there.
Some websites to check out:
Geofish Dive - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling & PADI Instruction in Playa del Carmen & Cozumel, Mexico
Yucatek Divers, Playa del Carmen
Scuba Diving, Fishing, Dive Packages, and Extreme Sports in Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Riviera Maya, Yucatan, Mexico and Caribbean
Cozumel
Cozumel My Cozumel: A Reliable Travel Resource
Cozumel - All Things Cozumel, Cozumel Dive Shops, Cozumel Hotels, Vacation Home Rentals, Live! Web Cam, Cozumel Restaurants, Services, Etc. Main Directory
Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium of Cozumel - Mexico
Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico
Cozumel Diving with Aqua Safari
Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop
Island Dreams Travel scuba diving vacations, cozumel scuba diving, dive travel, dive resorts, diving trips
Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations

robin:D

Sorry i realized after I replied that I should have started a new thread..At any rate--yes, I'm trying to wedge in a dive or two before going to a yoga retreat in Tulum. I won't have time after so I'm trying to see how insane it would be to make it to Coz for in my best fantasies a night dive and a day dive or three.. Thanks!

Think outside the box

Check out
SellOffVacations.com - Lowest Price Guaranteed, Anytime You Travel. Mexico|Cuba|DR|Caribbean|Europe|Las Vegas

fly direct from Toronto, most vacations are all inclusive. plus get a big bang on currency
My big beef with Cozumel, beside never returning, is that I was always getting into the boat with 1000 - 1200 PSI left in the tank. The DI would talk about a 60 minute "bottom time" in my experience, the 60 minutes was the total time from 1st diver in to last diver out. When the DI worked, they did 2 am dives & 2 pm dives, so kept bottomtime to a minimum. They did just enought to avoid being sued, but never enough that I thought....what a great place to vacation.

On the other hand, San Andres does not have 3 cruise ships tied up in dock everyday, no direct flights from the US. They work really hard to please. Best place to stay is at the Marazul
We've also dove Curacao, far enough south for reliable good weather, free shore diving.

flying out of Toronto, US residents may be able to sneak into Cuba, buddy likes Cayo Largo. A week is $1000 CDN, $800 US all inclusive altho diving may be extra

Thank you for all your advice. With my limited budget and airfare prices now, we have decided to go to Cozumel again. In the past, we have stayed at big all inclusives. This time, we are staying at Caribe Blue and diving with Blue Angel. I think it will be a much different experience and I am looking forward to exploring San Miguel. In the future, I will certainly try to visit Bonaire, Roatan, Belize, Curacao and some other areas. Thanks again. Happy diving.!

COz is a great place to dive, one of the best shallow dives I've had was Columbia Shallows on the south end. ......But...... I do not think Coz is best....no!
I have enjoyed the Caymans immensely, Bonaire has the easiest diving in the Caribbean. The best diving for wildlife has to be off New Britain ...period, or for great diving and top-side Port Douglas (Australia) on a short liveaboard to the Coral Sea, or dive the Red Sea, these are the best I've seen and yes it is more expensive. If you just want to save money, go to Coz., if you want the best diving you'll have to do more traveling and save a few bucks to get to a more out of the way destination. Have you ever dove off Hawaii in the spring and seen the giant Mantas or heard the whales singing on every dive off Molokini? Have you ever seen the giant Potato Groupers of Lizard Island or the Minke whales that will stare at you? Have you every seen such a diversity of wildlife near the "Fathers" & "Witu's" off New Britain with so many different species you'll loose count on every dive?
To some diving is about a short vacation and to save spending a fair amount of dollars. Then go to Coz. or the Keys or just dive local.
Others will go on a fewer trips, spend more, but be able to see the incredible diversity that is in the Created world.
File0363.jpg

File0347.jpg

File0340.jpg

File0359.jpg

File0348.jpg

File0391.jpg

File0389.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom