Question Can the purge button on a G260 be locked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can't find a G260 owner's manual online. I read that the purge button can be locked open, but I can't figure out how. Depressing and rotating either clockwise or counterclockwise didn't do the trick.

What am I missing? Also, are the owner's manuals online somewhere, not findable with Google for some reason?

oh what a coincidence...
I was just playing around with mine and it locks when depress then rotate counter clockwise.

I thought mine was broken and my wallet was not happy about it.

But why would anyone want this locked and for what purpose?

Yes.
It's very subtle.
IMG_20220405_220846.jpg

The purpose is to lift the low pressure seat off the knife edge of the orifice to slow the development of a groove in the seat. That groove leads to freeflow.
If it's not obvious, the feature is only used during storage.

Yes.
It's very subtle.
View attachment 716225
The purpose is to lift the low pressure seat off the knife edge of the orifice to slow the development of a groove in the seat. That groove leads to freeflow.
If it's not obvious, the feature is only used during storage.
Oh good to know.

So when I don't use it I should depress and lock it?

Absolutely!
It's been around forever, but Scubapro has dumbed down their best regs.
Sherwood did it with a pin:
IMG_20220405_221839.jpg

The old Pilot Air 1 and 109 did it with the famous "key"
IMG_20220405_221925.jpg

This is how I do it with my G250
IMG_20220405_221954.jpg

Atomic Aquatics does it automatically with a little spring behind the orifice that pushes the knife edge away when unpressurized. They then get haters that don't like the open valve during rinsing. But you can't argue with a seat that lasts three years!

Is it on the S620Ti? Nope.
A700? Nope.
New S270? Nope.
Stupid.

Actually, that's not right. It's just their continued support for the dealer model to get you in early for premature service (and to buy a new mask/wetsuit/sparkly thing).

Thanks, @rsingler. I got it to work. The trick is to only depress the purge button halfway, and then turn it. When depressed all the way, I can't get the button to turn.

Absolutely!
It's been around forever, but Scubapro has dumbed down their best regs.
Sherwood did it with a pin:
View attachment 716228
The old Pilot and 109 did it with the famous "key"
View attachment 716227
This is how I do it with my G250
View attachment 716226
Atomic Aquatics does it automatically with a little spring behind the orifice that pushes the knife edge away when unpressurized. But they just get haters that don't like the open valve during rinsing. But you can't argue with a seat that lasts three years!

Is it on the S620Ti? Nope.
A700? Nope.
New S270? Nope.
Stupid.

Actually, that's not right. It's just their continued support for the dealer model to get you in early for premature service (and to buy a new mask/wetsuit/sparkly thing).
Oh TIL!

What about our beloved D420?

Does this mean all (or most?) regs should be long term stored with the purge button pushed down?

The true criminal act in all this isn't the absence of the feature, but the absolute highway robbery of the price of a service kit.

Swapping a seat should not cost you one of your children...

The old Pilot and 109 did it with the famous "key"
I know you meant to say the Air1 and 109 used the key, rather than the Pilot.

It interesting to realize that the Air1 was given the seat saver feature, but it not used in the Ds as mentioned by SaltyFrog. Perhaps the lighter spring pressure was a factor, that style certainly lasts much longer on storage without the seat saver.

The true criminal act in all this isn't the absence of the feature, but the absolute highway robbery of the price of a service kit.

Swapping a seat should not cost you one of your children...
For sure. it is much better to keep a bunch of OEM and aftermarket seats on hand to avoid buying service kits when the seat and a few orings is all that is needed.

Back
Top Bottom