Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stiiiilllll no sargassum...:) I’m off to bed. Heavy day diving on the cards tomorrow :)

View attachment 592165

YOU sir are really rubbing salt into the wounds....... I should be eating cereal on the Aquacat getting ready for the morning dive, but instead I am reading work emails and distracting myself on Scubaboard.... hahaha

Looks beautiful!

Glad you are getting great weather and diving. Weather in Michigan is perfect this week, mid to high 70s, sun and a nice lake breeze. Lots of motorcycling, swimming and relaxation on the books for this weekend, so I really can't complain.

Keep having fun and posting your pictures, it is great to see some sense of normalcy after 3 months.

A complete shutdown isn't happening again. With a 0.5% mortality rate, people have decided they would rather get sick that live in confinement.
That's what I am afraid of. Even if that 0.5% number is correct (it is on the lower end of range of estimates overall and definitely lower than what it is for people my age), the probability of any one person dying of COVID-19 is the probability of dying if one catches it multiplied by the probability of catching it. At present that composite number is relatively low, but the attitude you are describing works to increase the second term of the equation, possibly by a lot.

That's what I am afraid of. Even if that 0.5% number is correct (it is on the lower end of range of estimates overall and definitely lower than what it is for people my age), the probability of any one person dying of COVID-19 is the probability of dying if one catches it multiplied by the probability of catching it. At present that composite number is relatively low, but the attitude you are describing works to increase the second term of the equation, possibly by a lot.

You are 100% correct. In my experience, the average age of the typical Coz diver tends to be closer to 60 than 40. Covid-19 mortality rate is much higher than 0.5% for that age group. I suppose that if you're young and fit, this is an excellent opportunity to dive Coz without the crowds!

That is true but we deal with risk all the time. We can't live shut down. To those who still have their incomes it is easy to be patient about reopening. To those that have, not being able to take a dive vacation is the least of their worries. Thousands of small businesses are already mortally wounded and most of those still alive can take no more.

That is true but we deal with risk all the time. We can't live shut down. To those who still have their incomes it is easy to be patient about reopening. To those that have, not being able to take a dive vacation is the least of their worries. Thousands of small businesses are already mortally wounded and most of those still alive can take no more.
A problem is, however, that the risk is unquantifiable. When we are diving,we take risks, but if/when things start to go bad we can almost always take measures to ameliorate it. With this virus we don't know how much of it is around us, we don't know who might have it asymptomatically, and by the time we know anything is at all amiss it's too late to do anything about it. If one is young and healthy it's easy to justify taking the risk, but for others of us, not so much, and the former group taking the risk makes it more hazardous for the rest of us.

First, death isn't the only serious consequence of this disease. Many and several that I know personally have permanent health issues after they "recover" from Covid. One I know lost their kidney function and will be on dialysis for the rest of their life. One still has serious neurological compromises. Others are losing lung function or limbs.

Recovered doesn't equal restored to previous health.

Second, opening for business doesn't have to be as dangerous as many people are making it. I went to Home Depot this morning. 90% of staff and 80% of customers were not wearing masks and I saw hand shakes and close long face to face conversations throughout the store. Opening for business can happen with caution or without but without is more likely to result in another shutdown. Houston is overwhelmed with people acting foolishly and now their emergency rooms are becoming overwhelmed. If you insist on having a graduation party for 50+ people then insist on masks and distance. Otherwise we just roll the dice. All is fine if nobody there is infectious but the chances of that are greatly diminished when everyone there is lacking good judgement in their daily comings and goings.

Opening up the economy doesn't have to mean playing russian roulette with our community health risks.

It may seem silly to take these inconvenient measures when people you know aren't sick but that is the whole point isn't it? I will keep sending money to my dive master and stay here in Texas taking care of chores until I can go spend a few months with him catching up.

Second, opening for business doesn't have to be as dangerous as many people are making it. I went to Home Depot this morning. 90% of staff and 80% of customers were not wearing masks and I saw hand shakes and close long face to face conversations throughout the store. Opening for business can happen with caution of without but without is more likely to result in another shutdown. Houston is overwhelmed with people acting foolishly and now their emergency rooms are becoming overwhelmed. If you insist on having a graduation party for 50+ people then insist on masks and distance.

Overwhelmed is a media sensational stretch. Texas set a record high of 2200 hospitalizations, up from 1900 on May 5, with 14,000 more available beds. I'm not saying the virus isn't serious. I'm saying we cannot and will not endure another lockdown, no matter what. Not even if all beds are filled.

If you don't like the risks with diving and decide not to go on a dive trip, you find something else to do and save a ton of money. It's not economically painful or a threat to your standard of living. If you lock down again, millions more will lose their incomes, many of them permanently. People are losing their jobs and businesses and the things in their life that they provide.

Here's an example of the sensationalization. "There were 2,326 coronavirus patients in Texas hospitals Monday, the Department of Health reported—an increase from the 2,287 reported on Sunday, which had been the old record." So 39 more people went to the hospital than left yesterday. That is a slight increase, what is 39/2287? 0.017%? Hardly a "spike". And if 10 more go than leave today, tomorrow they will throw up headlines about Texas setting another new record.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom