Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought this was about HARRIS COUNTY. (I understand Houston is somewhat bulbous and difficult to define).

You can get several different numbers from different websites, the US Census lists Harris County with a population of 4,713,325 as of July 2019 the Macrotrends has it at 6,371,000 for 2020. It still is nowhere near 25% infection!

As of July 5 Harris county had 342,489 tested per the Texas Health and Human Services website,
with 36,597 cases and a population of 6,371,000.
Any way you look at the numbers it is nowhere near 25%.

This is where so much false information is spread.
Well, I got that quote from a video interview from the mayor, but there are so very many recent news stories that I really cannot find it right now. It's a rapidly changing story too so difficult to keep up with. This was posted today: More than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases, 5 new deaths reported in Houston

Edit: Ah ha, I did find a news story with the same quote from Mayor Sylvester Turner. Excerpting from Coronavirus on track to overwhelm Houston hospitals in two weeks, mayor says
In Houston, the percentage of tests for the virus coming back positive has risen to nearly 25%. Turner said that people of color were being disproportionately impacted, particularly Hispanic residents.

And the Harris County judge has elevated the threat level to Stay-T-F-At-Home level.
COVID-Meter-SEVERE-01.png

I thought this was about HARRIS COUNTY. (I understand Houston is somewhat bulbous and difficult to define).
Well, Houston is a huge city with city limits, the original Texas swampland swindle by the Allen brothers but discussions often get confusing when facts from Houston Metro area and Harris county are mixed in. BTW, a County Judge in Texas is primarily the chief administrator.

I thought this was about Cozumel.
Yeah, sorry about that. I offered that as a comparison, but fear that I derailed the thread. :hijack:

As far as the original question, answers are more of a matter of opinion. Those who are going now are braver than I am I guess. I'd be afraid of either coming down severely ill or the border closing with me locked out. Either Q.Roo or Texas could close to travel on a moment's notice as neither is faring well.

I think a fear of the Mexico / US border via air closing is non existent, besides, being a US citizen will open that door.

I'd be real worried about presenting symptoms while here and then how you getting home?

It appears we are gonna have some time to practice at figuring this out though - I picked a fine time to retire, blame it all on me.

I think a fear of the Mexico / US border via air closing is non existent, besides, being a US citizen will open that door.
Well, my fear does exist even if the risk does not, but who knows with borders, airlines in chaos, etc.

You can get several different numbers from different websites, the US Census lists Harris County with a population of 4,713,325 as of July 2019 the Macrotrends has it at 6,371,000 for 2020. It still is nowhere near 25% infection!
Did someone claim that Houston is 25% infected? I didn't see that, and of course it isn't.

This is indeed becoming the flavour or reporting though... I get particularly annoyed when the headline refers to cases ‘surging’ but then when they fall by the same margin the next day, no one is referring to them as ‘plummeting’

2 weeks ago we had one in Toronto ‘ 60% increase in new cases in last 24 hours.

it was an increase of 14 over the prior day....

not saying cases aren’t on the rise etc. But the data needs to be scrutinized properly before everyone runs for the hills.

Back
Top Bottom