can we use VR3 for recreational dives..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icarusflies

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Guys;

Here is my dilemma; I am retiring my Pro Plus 2 and looking for a new computer. I only have 70 dive logged since certification 10 months ago. I plan eventually to get into technical. I know that technical divers use tables, which sounds like a good idea since electronics can fail. I want to buy a new computer for the recreational dives but I also would like to use it when I get into technical. I was thinking about the VR3 but I am afraid is way too much computer for rec dives and however it will be the perfect companion to back up table on tech dives.????

It is a excellent computer for recreational dives.

Go dive !!! Enjoy !!!

the K

By the time you're ready for a computer for mixed-gas diving, the VR3 will probably have been surpassed by newer technology. I like buying new toys more than most, but I'd stay with a simpler computer for the time being.

I would recommend one of the Seiko two gas computers - Dive Rite Duo, Tusa IQ 700, Apeks Quantum, and I think there is one more - all rebranded Seikos. Use it as a recreational computer now and it will take you through Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures and then be able to be used in gauge mode if/when you take trimix. Given your experience, it will be a while before you get to tech diving and committing to a trimix computer this early would limit your options down the road (there may be better/different options by then) - and trap you into diving with a brick strapped to your wrist in the meantime.

Icarusflies:
Hello Guys;
I know that technical divers use tables, which sounds like a good idea since electronics can fail.

I think this is a huge misstatement. A very small portion of technical divers do not use computers. The rest seem to use computers with redundancy provided by a second computer or tables. Either method seems to work, though there are drawbacks each way. You can safely conduct dives with or without a computer.

Icarusflies:
I want to buy a new computer for the recreational dives but I also would like to use it when I get into technical. I was thinking about the VR3 but I am afraid is way too much computer for rec dives and however it will be the perfect companion to back up table on tech dives.????

If you would like to use your computer for mixed gas diving and decompression, I would certainly recommend the VR3. It is a lot of computer for recreational use, and it's heavy and large. But beyond that, it will take you as far as you want to go with your diving. In it's most basic setup, it works very much like any other recreational computer. Depth, time, time to surface, it allows for deep stops, and credits you for shallow stops in much the same way the suunto's do.

If it wasn't so darned expensive, I'd really buy one for myself.

rongoodman:
By the time you're ready for a computer for mixed-gas diving, the VR3 will probably have been surpassed by newer technology. I like buying new toys more than most, but I'd stay with a simpler computer for the time being.

You make a good point here, however what I like about the VR3 is that you can keep upgrading the software to adapt it to your dive level.

Icarusflies:
You make a good point here, however what I like about the VR3 is that you can keep upgrading the software to adapt it to your dive level.
There is some good advise in this thread. Start with a two gas computer that can also run in gauge mode. This will serve you for many years on may types of dives.

The VR3 can be updated but that is expensive and there are a few new developments on the horizon with some other manufacturers. (supposedly). So.. who knows, there may be some VR3's for sale this year that you could pick up cheaply if you really want one. But at this point in time I would say that a VR3 is a bit of overkill, can be done, but for 1/4 of the price, you can have a good two gas computer. Spend the rest of the money on other gear: tanks, manifolds, suits etc.....or training.

Peronne, when the X1 comes out and is well received... wanna buy my VR3?:eyebrow:

Depends on what you're asking for it. I get great prices on new ones since we're dealers, but I just don't need it right now. When I start carrying two deco tanks, then I'll be more interested.

Oh, but the VR3 displays your dive profile right on the face of it . . . That's so much fun. We had a great time admiring one on a British diver in Indonesia. They are, however, pretty viciously expensive.

VR3 can be used for recreational diving but it is complicated and is less forgiving of profiles.

A deep recreational dive it may put in a deep stop, if on a reef or wall and you slightly violate this the computer will sulk. Its not designed for that sort of diving really.
It will work but in my mind its not perfectly suited to it and is overkill.

My suggestion, buy a normal cheap wrist mounted computer now, maybe a vytec if you want 2 gas. If you ever decide to get more technically inclined then you'll need a backup computer anyway so you can use the wrist one without losing anything.

Back
Top Bottom