can we use VR3 for recreational dives..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Depends on what you're asking for it. I get great prices on new ones since we're dealers, but I just don't need it right now. When I start carrying two deco tanks, then I'll be more interested.
Mine has been vigorously tested to the extreme... so should be worth quite a bit!:D

And to OP: I still carry my Apeks Quantum (DR Duo) in gauge mode, it has performed wonderfully ever since I got it a few years ago.

TSandM:
Oh, but the VR3 displays your dive profile right on the face of it . . . That's so much fun. We had a great time admiring one on a British diver in Indonesia. They are, however, pretty viciously expensive.

No more so than the "flashlight":11: you bought that Peter was grumbling about awhile back:D . But seriously they are nice. My intro to tech and Heliotrox have gotten me thinking about a mixed gas unit but Dive Rite has a new one coming out, the reps are suppopsed to have theirs in a couple weeks. Hs has the explorer, and even though they are saying nothing at all about it or any of their tech line:no oceanic may have one in the pipe. I'm waiting to see the price on the dive rite and am kicking myself for not buying one of the Nitek He's before Dive Rite Express ran out of them.

JimLap:
am kicking myself for not buying one of the Nitek He's before Dive Rite Express ran out of them.

Don't.

point well taken.....how about the oceanic Atom 2...but it is air integrated...would that be a problem when I take Dir Fundies...

Just because a unit is air integrated doesn't mean you have to use that function...

I wanted to take a back-up computer on my recent liveaboard trip so I got a Uwatec Tech2g. I had read some good things here about its gauge function and it will handle a second rich Nitrox mix for deco if you want. I found it easy to work with and my Veo 250 has become the back-up.

Liquivision just pushed the release date back to June 20. I'm looking forward to owning one of the first shipped. In the mean time I'll continue to dive my VR3's that have given me no worry. With the VR3 you can buy in at your current level and pay to unlock upgrades as your training/diving progresses. Safe diving. My last dive with a VR3 was a tad over 4 hours in a cave with a max D of 97ffw. CCR meg BTW.

rongoodman, how do you accomodate the different algorithyms on your dives using the Oceanic as a spare? Or are you only/always using them in gauge mode? (It sounded that way but I wasn't sure...)

jim T.:
rongoodman, how do you accomodate the different algorithyms on your dives using the Oceanic as a spare? Or are you only/always using them in gauge mode? (It sounded that way but I wasn't sure...)

I noticed that the Uwatec is the more conservative of the two, and can be set to be even more so. Diving single Aluminum 80s on the trip, I was limited by my air consumption. As I progress in my training, I would anticipate using one or both in gauge mode with tables.

(About 4 days into the trip, in the middle of an air share drill I had donated my reg and we had decided to swim level at 40 feet. I looked at the Oceanic on my left wrist and saw a flashing screen. It turned out to be only a battery, but it was an interesting time for a failure.)

String:
A deep recreational dive it may put in a deep stop, if on a reef or wall and you slightly violate this the computer will sulk. Its not designed for that sort of diving really.
It will work but in my mind its not perfectly suited to it and is overkill.

That's a nice way to put it. I have visions of my wife up in the great lakes with one that said 'Bad Deco' on the boat because she skipped the deepest microbubble stop. (she was diving tables in a class, VR3 was borrowed and used as a very expensive bottom timer). To make it say that, you have to go to a 'vertical' display rather than the default 'horizontal'. Otherwise is says 'missed deco' and 'use tables'.

Aside from that, the machine continues to calculate and provide deco information. More than some other 'lock out' computers.

Back
Top Bottom