Can you have too much gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, we have 33 tanks. And I want to go diving tomorrow, and everything we own is either empty, or has the wrong gas in it, or is the wrong size, weight or material of tank for the dive I'm contemplating. Clearly, more tanks are in order!

You need specific gear for specific situations. Since you never know what situation you might encounter and what specific conditions you might face you will always need to accumalate something else.

And, it's always a good idea to have at least two of everything since you need to have a back up just in case.

Reactions: Doc
Never! LoL! If I aquire much more I'm going to have to get a bigger apartment. I'm already contemplating getting rid of the Christmas tree and decorations just to make more room in my closet. :) I'm thinking the tree has to go.

When I left Jeddah in '97 I had 18 tanks, I sold 10 AL80s and kept two S30s, four S50s and two S63s.

Since then I have accumulated three AL80s and one HP100 (all Nitrox) plus two S13 ponies. Two of my S50s are being joined together to make a set of doubles and will be )2 clean to accommodate Nitrox.

As for wetsuits, at least one for every season, but no drysuit yet, but I have a nice collection of Mares regs and a lone ScubaPro

You can never have enough gear, I frequently have friends from overseas visiting and can supply some gear for a couple of dives should they need it, plus my daughter dives (although she lives overseas now)

I dived solo yesterday on a wreck at 30M (well I did have an instabuddy DM who left me after 12 mins to ascend but that is another story), one reg on my back gas (HP100 32% EAN), another on my pony (S30 Air) and I had an AL80 hung at 5M with 36% EAN - three tanks and three regs just for one dive, pretty good justification for having more gear if you ask me :wink:

Currently at ~25 tanks, 3 wings, 2 can lights (3 lightheads), 2 drysuits, a wetsuit, 3 scooters, ~13 regs, and I somehow constantly find reasons to acquire more stuff.

Perfectly normal and reasonable...right?

No, you cannot have too much gear. As to gear, I have my pool gear, my cold water gear, my personal favorite for dive travel gear, and my back up gear. That translates to 4 of just about everything, with a couple extra pair of fins ( I went through a funky color period), a pile of dive lights, because there is always a better one; 6 masks ( again, new designs present them selves ) and assorted SMB's, reels, )2 analyzer, CO detector/measuring device; spare parts to stack a small shop, tool kit(s) (I got a good deal) and emergency first aid supplies. The only thing I am a bit embarrassed by is that I have 4 gear bags. But that count's one for my wife, so it's ok. The gear barely fills on room in the basement, a room we call the scuba room. You might think this is a long list, but you should see the list I have of gear I "need" to get!
DivemasterDennis

Maybe you do have too much gear. I know a nice little marine research center in South America that would love to accept any gear donations. :wink:

What you're really missing there is a boat.

You still need a compressor and bank bottles, a booster, many more tanks, at least one rebreather but probably several, and don't forget about the matching scooters for you and your buddy.

That takes care of about the next $50k or so. Let me know when you need the next list.

I need all this as well.
You can NEVER have to much scuba gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom