Can you help me identify these regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just received these today and wondering if I could use them for a temporary sidemount setup while I'm saving for a dedicated set.

One might be a Dacor Viper and the other one a Poseidon, but I'm unsure of the model.

nidiver 1984...

Being Canadian myself in Central Ontario...I know you're not diving locally...keep saving for that ''dedicated set''...spring will be here soon enough...

I wouldn't use either of these regs...and in this sport there is no ''temporary''...

Both the little Poseidon and the open spring chamber whatever...are old...the Poseidon may be thirty/forty years old...the existence of proper service parts may be questionable...the open spring chamber DIN reg looks to be the type...made offshore...that over the years was sold under many brand names...if they've had salt water exposure and been neglected...they may be pitted inside and totally worthless...and it will cost you money to find out...as current shop labour averages $50./$75. per hour...some shops are charging as high as $90......

Checkout Dive Gear Express...their ''Deep Six'' sets are complete...balanced...environmentally sealed...rock solid...and ''not expensive''...

Your life is worth more than a couple of ''free'' regulators...remembering nothing is free...by the time you buy first stages...LP and HP hoses...SPG's...and have everything rebuilt...if that's possible...and properly set up...you've paid for your new Deep Six set and then some...

Shops will likely turn these regs away and refuse to service them especially if the open spring chamber reg can't be identified...service kits are manufacturer and unit model specific...companies like ''Dacor''...who were bought out by Mares haven't been in existence for years...the Poseidon reg may need the old style Cyklon second stage to work properly...the Cyklon has a dedicated IP which is considerably higher than standard IP...a pressure relief valve may also be required...

Be patient...do it the right way...and if you haven't done so already...make sure you take a side-mount course...there's lots to learn...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Both the little Poseidon and the open spring chamber whatever...are old...the Poseidon may be thirty/forty years old...the existence of proper service parts may be questionable..

I'm diving a Poseidon Cyclon 300 from the '80's that I had serviced after I picked it up in a lot of used SCUBA gear. Although one might have to hunt a bit to find a Poseidon tech, service and parts for their regs, regardless of age, is not an issue. My Posiedon today is worth more than it was when initially sold, try that with another single hose reg that's been used for a decade or more.

It may be more cost effective to buy new, if you don't work on your own gear, however that does not mean they are worthless because of their age, or one persons inability to identify them.

Bob

Dives a number of worthless old regs on a regular basis.

Poseidon hasn't listed a service kit for the Cyclon 300 1st stage in its price list for a couple of years now as it has been discontinued as a reg model for a long time.

I'm diving a Poseidon Cyclon 300 from the '80's that I had serviced after I picked it up in a lot of used SCUBA gear. Although one might have to hunt a bit to find a Poseidon tech, service and parts for their regs, regardless of age, is not an issue. My Posiedon today is worth more than it was when initially sold, try that with another single hose reg that's been used for a decade or more.

It may be more cost effective to buy new, if you don't work on your own gear, however that does not mean they are worthless because of their age, or one persons inability to identify them.

Bob

Dives a number of worthless old regs on a regular basis.

Bob...

Respectfully...what you're doing isn't necessarily what nidiver 1984 should be doing...

Enabling him to go off on a ''vintage rebuild adventure''...with more than its fair share of unknowns...not to mention everything else required to make this set complete...is the wrong direction to be sending him in...he obviously has limited funds...limited resources...limited knowledge and is asking for help...

Returning these old regs to fully rebuilt operating condition in side mount configuration...is the last thing ''he'' should be doing...

This is not about you...

Dive Safe...

Warren...

So they can't be used as a temporary sidemount solution?

nidiver 1984...

''Can't''...isn't the question...''should they be used''...is the question...

One regulator has not been positively identified...the other is obsolete...likely with no service kits remaining...

Being Canadian and ranking high on the intelligence scale...with the posted responses...I think your question has been answered...

Dive Safe...

Warren...

nidiver 1984...

Your life is worth more than a couple of ''free'' regulators...remembering nothing is free...by the time you buy first stages...LP and HP hoses...SPG's...and have everything rebuilt...if that's possible...and properly set up...you've paid for your new Deep Six set and then some...

Shops will likely turn these regs away and refuse to service them especially if the open spring chamber reg can't be identified...service kits are manufacturer and unit model specific...companies like ''Dacor''...who were bought out by Mares haven't been in existence for years...the Poseidon reg may need the old style Cyklon second stage to work properly...the Cyklon has a dedicated IP which is considerably higher than standard IP...a pressure relief valve may also be required...

Be patient...do it the right way...and if you haven't done so already...make sure you take a side-mount course...there's lots to learn...

Dive Safe...

Warren

stop fear-mongering with "life is worth more" blah blah, doesn't help your case and isn't true. Those regs work just fine if rebuilt.
Now, on the cost side of things, you're right. 4x hoses at $25 each, SPG at $50, $50 ish for service, you're bordering new reg cost though I wouldn't get the DGX Deep6 regs because the total cost of ownership is higher than the Signatures.

As for the Poseidon in particular. ALL consumable parts for that regulator are still available and a parts kit is still available from Poseidon, as they are for all of their regulators going back to 1958. No other manufacturer can claim that one. That regulator is obsolete in that it isn't produced anymore, but parts are still available. Any shop who services Poseidon is more than capable of servicing that regulator.
Hell, I just serviced one last year. If you're curious, the service kit is #3384 and the repair procedures for that regulator were in their most recent repair manual update a few years ago.
It was designed to be used with the Cyklon yes, but they work fine with any other second stage. They're a diaphragm so they go from the setpoint of 165 down to 135-145 that normal regulators want with no issue at all. That said, you would ideally have a balanced second as the unbalanced firsts are annoying to pair with unbalanced seconds because of the fluctuating IP.
For the OMS workhorse, the service kit is here. $10
OMS Workhorse First Stage Service Kit

@nldiver1984 if you are committed to rebuilding them, or if they've been rebuilt relatively recently and are behaving fine, they'll work fine for a stopgap regulator. I wouldn't personally do it for a myriad of reasons, but none due to the quality/reliability of those regulators

stop fear-mongering with "life is worth more" blah blah, doesn't help your case and isn't true. Those regs work just fine if rebuilt.
Now, on the cost side of things, you're right. 4x hoses at $25 each, SPG at $50, $50 ish for service, you're bordering new reg cost though I wouldn't get the DGX Deep6 regs because the total cost of ownership is higher than the Signatures.

As for the Poseidon in particular. ALL consumable parts for that regulator are still available and a parts kit is still available from Poseidon, as they are for all of their regulators going back to 1958. No other manufacturer can claim that one. That regulator is obsolete in that it isn't produced anymore, but parts are still available. Any shop who services Poseidon is more than capable of servicing that regulator.
Hell, I just serviced one last year. If you're curious, the service kit is #3384 and the repair procedures for that regulator were in their most recent repair manual update a few years ago.
It was designed to be used with the Cyklon yes, but they work fine with any other second stage. They're a diaphragm so they go from the setpoint of 165 down to 135-145 that normal regulators want with no issue at all. That said, you would ideally have a balanced second as the unbalanced firsts are annoying to pair with unbalanced seconds because of the fluctuating IP.
For the OMS workhorse, the service kit is here. $10
OMS Workhorse First Stage Service Kit

@nldiver1984 if you are committed to rebuilding them, or if they've been rebuilt relatively recently and are behaving fine, they'll work fine for a stopgap regulator. I wouldn't personally do it for a myriad of reasons, but none due to the quality/reliability of those regulators

tbone1004...

After all your rhetoric is removed you ended up saying the same thing I did...

My intention was not to criticize or discount anyone or any thing...or to add insults...

Having said that...dollar for dollar...performance for performance...even if these two regs can be returned to ''as new function-ability''...a complete...new...Deep Six set...Signature or DGX...correctly adjusted...and configured to side-mount...will leave these old bits and pieces for dead...and we're talking about two unbalanced regulators...one with an open spring chamber...not much good below 60'...neither good in cold water...the original inquirer is Canadian...and we only have cold water...

I don't understand defending this old junk when there is a modern...cost effective...alternative...

''Vintage and its merits is one thing...this isn't in defense of ''Vintage''...this is false economy for a lost cause...

It never ceases to amaze me when someone places a post looking for help how the junk vendors and the ''make-shift'' suggestion enablers are the first ones out of the gate to respond...

Maybe you'd be willing to change your hydro for candles...and your central heating for single room coal burning fire places...

Does anyone know where you can still buy buggy whips...just watch...someone will respond suggesting I can cobble together a buggy whip from old scuba regulators...

Dive Safe...

Warren...

@W W Meixner why is an unbalanced first stage unsuitable for dives below 60ft?

The Poseidon is capable of being sealed and has been used in ice diving for over 50 years.

I'm not defending it, I'm stating that it is not obsolete. The Poseidon is actually still under warranty if serviced by an authorized technician.

The OMS can be serviced with a $10 parts kit, the Poseidon is about $15. If the OP has all of the other stuff, then the new gear is certainly not more cost effective. Better? Sure, 5 port swivels are a lot better, but I'd use either of those for a stage/deco/CCR regulator with no problem. I actually have a 2305 that is O2 cleaned for use with my CCR.

So to you, what makes the new regulators more safe than these? The basic design isn't much different, these have less sealing o-rings and fewer moving parts.

HI tbone 1004,
I stand corrected... The kit had been missing from my (Canadian) parts list for a couple of years but is included in the 2018 list (I just checked)…I still have a couple in hand :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom