Can you help me identify these regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My intention was not to criticize or discount anyone or any thing...or to add insults...

I don't understand defending this old junk when there is a modern...cost effective...alternative...It never ceases to amaze me when someone places a post looking for help how the junk vendors and the ''make-shift'' suggestion enablers are the first ones out of the gate to respond...

Maybe you'd be willing to change your hydro for candles...and your central heating for single room coal burning fire places...

Does anyone know where you can still buy buggy whips...just watch...someone will respond suggesting I can cobble together a buggy whip from old scuba regulators...

Warren, while it may not be your intention to criticize or add insults, that is what you are doing. A question was asked and answered. You are the only one telling the OP what to do. The regulators could be serviced and used. It might be a chore to find a shop that will do it. Since they are unbalanced, I would pair them with balanced seconds, but they would function fine with unbalanced seconds if that was what was available. I'm not sure why you are so critical of using used equipment. Equipment is only new for the first dive. After that it is all used.

Warren, while it may not be your intention to criticize or add insults, that is what you are doing. A question was asked and answered. You are the only one telling the OP what to do. The regulators could be serviced and used. It might be a chore to find a shop that will do it. Since they are unbalanced, I would pair them with balanced seconds, but they would function fine with unbalanced seconds if that was what was available. I'm not sure why you are so critical of using used equipment. Equipment is only new for the first dive. After that it is all used.

Brian...TBone1004...

Carry On...

Most people these days start considering replacing $30,000. + cars after five or six years...if they're leased you can drop that time frame in half...all consumer products should be replaced remembering that consumer and consumable have the same origin...

Why would anyone want to use a 40 year old $200. scuba regulator or any other 40 year old piece of consumable dive gear for anything...''Vintage Enthusiasts'' excepted...

I didn't direct...I offered an opinion based on years of experience primarily from seeing the junk that has come into the shop over the years for service that people still want to dive with...my answer has always been the same...I don't recommend diving with that piece of equipment...and ''no'' I won't service it...not an order...not an insult...just no...and always happy to make an alternative recommendation...remembering there's always liability attached...getting involved with these pieces...I'm a certified Poseidon Service Tech...and I wouldn't touch that old regulator...nor would I stock a service kit...service kits are expensive and like most things have a shelf life and the chance that this model of regulator is going to come across my work bench is slim to none...

For anyone offering to say that I've used service kits that have been sitting around for years and they work fine...my response is...''good luck with that''...

What one is willing to do for himself...is entirely different than what one should be doing...recommending...or suggesting to someone else...

As far as a rubber freeze bonnet for the Poseidon...that's fine for the Poseidon...spending more money on a lost cause...what do you do with the other regulator...not much of a side-mount system with one reg protected and the other one free flowing...

You southern climate guys should treat yourselves to a season of diving in Canada...where in the middle of July Great Lakes water temperatures below the thermocline are still only 3-4 degrees above freezing...

Please feel free to proceed as you see fit...I think this dog has chased its tail long enough...

Dive Safe...

Warren

...I'm a certified Poseidon Service Tech...and I wouldn't touch that old regulator...

Sounds just like a ScubaPro tech I know, "it's old junk, you need to buy the new model", even though you bought it from them new a while ago with parts for life.

You southern climate guys should treat yourselves to a season of diving in Canada...where in the middle of July Great Lakes water temperatures below the thermocline are still only 3-4 degrees above freezing...

Now is that just a personal insult, or a comment that Posiedon regs are now unsuitable for cold water?

Bob

Considers the source

Sounds just like a ScubaPro tech I know, "it's old junk, you need to buy the new model", even though you bought it from them new a while ago with parts for life.

Now is that just a personal insult, or a comment that Posiedon regs are now unsuitable for cold water?

Bob

Considers the source

Hey Bob...

It wasn't my intention to take this thread any further as the OP has long since departed but I think were talking apples and bananas...

A 40 year old regulator...that the manufacturer has long since said ''goodbye'' to...that is not balanced...not environmentally sealed or freeze protected...that doesn't have modern hose thread dimensions...that was designed back at a time when 60' was considered a deep dive...in no way is any resemblance to a ScubaPro reg that was ''recently'' purchased with a ''kits for life'' package...

I'll service any regulator...for which I am trained to service...and for which the manufacturer is still producing...not supporting...producing...if the manufacturer has moved on...why would I want anything to do with it...and usually unless it was a bad design to start out with...a considerable time passes before the manufacturer ''moves on''...current Poseidon production will be around for a long time...try the current ''Extreme''...you may notice a ''slight difference'' from your current ''regulator of choice''...

Overstocking a shop with any items...service or otherwise that will never be sold is one of the prime reasons why dive shops are closing in droves...and their ''stale over-stock'' is appearing on E-Bay...

Some people will prowl around auto wreckers looking for a ''good'' used battery...for my own personal reasons...I'm not one of them...

Dive Safe...enjoy your ''vintage'' gear...it appears to serve your purpose...

Warren

Warren, ignoring our differing opinions on whether a hunk of brass is worn out after 100-500 hours of diving, I've never heard before that some regulators don't perform well past 60 feet. As a tech maybe you can answer that. It is my understanding that the depth-compensating mechanism in a first stage is purely proportional. I know there are some that are designed to be "overcompensated" by increasing the surface area of the compensating diaphragm or piston, but I did not know of any that were, intentionally or otherwise, "undercompensated". Is that a thing?

A 40 year old regulator...that the manufacturer has long since said ''goodbye'' to...that is not balanced...not environmentally sealed or freeze protected...that doesn't have modern hose thread dimensions...that was designed back at a time when 60' was considered a deep dive.

That regulator is much older than 40 years. I believe Poseidon stopped using metric threaded ports around 1965.

And Poseidon have not said goodbye to it, it is till in service and you can get warantie on it if you like. You can still get parts new from Poseidon.

The hose thread are acctualy more modern than whats used today, its metric, not that old imperial junk. The problem are just that the rest of the world have not yet understand that. :)

And It's a regulator designed for deep air dives, dives to between 50 and 100 meters was not unusual of in the days, so to say that it was designed at a time when 60' was considered deep, i think you mixed feet with meters.

All that said, If I had that regulator as a stray item, I would not use that regulator for a sidemount kit, there are so many good regulators you can get for petty cash, complete regsets.

Warren, ignoring our differing opinions on whether a hunk of brass is worn out after 100-500 hours of diving, I've never heard before that some regulators don't perform well past 60 feet. As a tech maybe you can answer that. It is my understanding that the depth-compensating mechanism in a first stage is purely proportional. I know there are some that are designed to be "overcompensated" by increasing the surface area of the compensating diaphragm or piston, but I did not know of any that were, intentionally or otherwise, "undercompensated". Is that a thing?

An simple unbalanced membrane regulator like this is by design (or lack there of) overcompensated.

The fact that you on the air side of the membrane have the push rod that takes area away makes the area on the water side bigger.

And a simple unbalanced piston reg have the opposite, were the valve steem is on the water side of the piston and therefore the ip drops with depth.

An simple unbalanced membrane regulator like this is by design (or lack there of) overcompensated.

The fact that you on the air side of the membrane have the push rod that takes area away makes the area on the water side bigger.

And a simple unbalanced piston reg have the opposite, were the valve steem is on the water side of the piston and therefore the ip drops with depth.

incorrect

I'll service any regulator...for which I am trained to service...and for which the manufacturer is still producing....if the manufacturer has moved on...why would I want anything to do with it...

I certainly hope you inform your customers before you sell them a regulator that you will not service it after the manufacture decides to stop producing it even though the manufacture still supports it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom