Can You Read This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a cool! Unfortunately, it only works for words you've seen before and can recognize by sight or context...

Try this one (purposefully selected for obscurity):
HNOOFRIICBALIITUDTINIABITUS

Can you pronounce the original word found in Shakespere's works? (http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-hon1.htm)

:coffee: <somewhat related rant>Some kids are taught to read using the sight reading method. They see a new word, the pronunciation is provided to them, and they memorize the word visually, as though it were a symbol. Just as we were thrown for a loop by the scrambled version of the word above (ok, the unscrambled one threw me for a loop too) because we couldn't recognize it due to probably not having seen it before, children who learn to read by sight are thrown for a loop when they encounter a word they haven't seen before. If you have the opportunity or choice for your children to learn to read phonetically, go for it--they will become better readers and more independent students.</somewhat related rant>:coffee:

I can read it fine. My girlfriend on the otherhand cannot read it all. She is fluent in reading and writing in the English language but it is her third speaking language and second writing language.

shellbackdiver1:
I can read it fine. My girlfriend on the otherhand cannot read it all. She is fluent in reading and writing in the English language but it is her third speaking language and second writing language.

Wow that is crazy that your girl friend is so fluent in her reading skills.
I got my Daughter to read it. She was a little slow at reading it as well and she is graduating High school with her Associates Degree. Took Latin for 3 years.
I on the other hand love words but do not read much and flew through it.
Makes you wonder????

no problem here...pretty nifty concept though...

I didn't have one problem
But if you only read the first and last letters how can you tell the difference between peaches and pears?

lil sis:
But if you only read the first and last letters how can you tell the difference between peaches and pears?

i don't think it's that simple

i think the brain breaks words up into "chunks" and it can recognize those chunks
even when they are out of order:

paehces and pares

if you change the first and last letter of the word, you have probably re-arranged
the chunks too much for the brain to recognize it:

apehsec and apser

you have to do way too much work to figure it out

(this is just my theory)

Back
Top Bottom