Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on two boats in FL that had DMs on board but neither got in the water. I don't recall either giving a dive briefing... the captain did that. One didn't even really help with any gear so I guess they're there primarily in case of an emergency. One DID tie off on a wreck though but the other charter, I've only been out with them twice, did drift dives only so the DM never even got her pinkie toe wet. And then, of course, being a tipping country, divers are expected to tip. For what? I'm not sure but it's one of the reasons I'm turned off on tipping... (still do it though)

Vary's by op/locale.... but generally the more experienced divers tend to not stress crews, or require (or desire) DM assistance short of yelling "dive dive dive" and handling fins.

Our own maestro, ScubaKevDM is in the water and is generally a high touch operation.
Up in Riviera Beach, Little Deeper, the DM is in the water, and also insists on doing allot of the load in/load out along w/ a deck hand...

RJ Diving in S. Beach, and Parrot Island in Pompano, the DM facilitates paperwork, wreck tie in, and works the ladder helping people in and out, getting weight, etc.. These boats cater allot to shops\instructors, so they are a bit buzy w/ new divers working thru issues...

American Dream in FLL usually has 3-4 DM\hands assisting, not sure why, paperwork, wreck tie in, orange slices, etc...

Then there's the six packs... no DM, however will we manage? Oh yeah, we're 'real' divers... :crafty:

Vary's by op/locale.... but generally the more experienced divers tend to not stress crews, or require (or desire) DM assistance short of yelling "dive dive dive" and handling fins.

Our own maestro, ScubaKevDM is in the water and is generally a high touch operation.
Up in Riviera Beach, Little Deeper, the DM is in the water, and also insists on doing allot of the load in/load out along w/ a deck hand...

RJ Diving in S. Beach, and Parrot Island in Pompano, the DM facilitates paperwork, wreck tie in, and works the ladder helping people in and out, getting weight, etc.. These boats cater allot to shops\instructors, so they are a bit buzy w/ new divers working thru issues...

American Dream in FLL usually has 3-4 DM\hands assisting, not sure why, paperwork, wreck tie in, orange slices, etc...

Then there's the six packs... no DM, however will we manage? Oh yeah, we're 'real' divers... :crafty:

Speaking of our Maestro Kevin, Make sure you click the link in my Signature line and vote for our own Kevin Metz for DM of the year!!! :D

PI, dove with them once, good op, the other boat right down the inner coastal from them, crap whats it called, 1 DM for a larger boat . . . anywho, they do good with only 1 DM . . . you dive without a DM, Tim you might die :)

It is a good thing I never left the minors :D

Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting, thanks for the answers folks. So there is not a big demand out there for a guide to show all the hot spots on a particular site? I would think most photographers would want this, especially sites like Blue Heron Bridge or whatnot where you get a lot of great macro stuff? As a photographer I would much rather have a guide to show me where all the photogenic stuff is so i don't waste all my time trying to find it when I could have a guide who knows where it is... You have to pay extra for a guide on a lot of the charters? Interesting...

I love SB :D

Nah. I absolutely 100% disagree with the OP simply because she has lumped every single diver out there into the same pool. Without distinction I am firmly planted on the AGAINST side of the fence.

HOWEVER, if there were a distinction made whereby isolating the divers who have somehow made 100 dives (I am just picking a random number here) yet had no clue how to assemble their gear....then I agree with her. They have no business being in the water anywhere near me because they are an accident waiting to happen. In this scenario, a new diver that is trying will be asking questions and watching everything because they are trying to learn to be "a diver" as opposed to "someone who dives" as Tim differentiated.

If there had been a distinction between those who physically are unable to carry their gear around but can safely dive and are competent divers otherwise....I am OK. If they are simply what I would call princesses that expect to be waded on hand and foot no matter what or where.....I do not want them near me. There is a HUGE difference between lazy and physically incapable (or WANT and NEED).

I cannot see any scenario where I will refuse somebody help unless they are just plain and simple OR if they expect me to do it. I am very helpful and happy to be so, but if I see it being abused, I make a polite excuse and stop (like "I really need to get all my gear on board and set-up").

So, similar to the "a diver" as opposed to "someone who dives"....there are "helpful people" and "people that are above the rest and refuse to help anybody but themselves". I am PROUD to fall on the helpful side of that equation.

At least you're not using bush-league, back-handed insults ;-)

Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting, thanks for the answers folks. So there is not a big demand out there for a guide to show all the hot spots on a particular site? I would think most photographers would want this, especially sites like Blue Heron Bridge or whatnot where you get a lot of great macro stuff? As a photographer I would much rather have a guide to show me where all the photogenic stuff is so i don't waste all my time trying to find it when I could have a guide who knows where it is... You have to pay extra for a guide on a lot of the charters? Interesting...

I love SB :D

As the OP said, you can always PAY a DM/guide. I did this for my first dive out of NC. Turned out I didn't need a guide, but wanted to make sure I had someone experienced with local conditions. I also have insta-buddy-phobia. On that first dive I met another diver I was comfortable with and we dove the second dive that day and a second day. You can always find someone to guide you if you are willing to pay.

Steve, well stated and well written.

I'd agree there is a diver "type" out there that we <mostly> agree is the sort in question. I encountered one at the first or second ITK--arrived at the boat in full makeup and primped hair, matching bathing suit and dive skin (don't ask me how). She spent the entire dive briefing yapping with the guys on the boat. She then proceeded to hold up the rest of us just before the splash because she didn't understand the procedures.
Then, during the SI, I asked if she'd be willing to move her gear over by one seat--to help even out the spacing. She refused because the gear was too heavy.

I moved it for her. (Against her protests). :D

I imagine that is a "real life" example of the OP's intended message.

That said, I'm proud to say my 1-year old SUV still does not stink of wet gear.

My new diving prayer:

Dear (insert diety of your choice):

Let me not be 'one of those' divers. Make me aware of my own faults and give me the courage to ask others for their assessment. May I not cringe openly when they point out the areas needing improvement but instead allow me to absorb it, digest quickly and make improvements. Send me a guide, someone with a sense of humor who likes poptarts and tolerates my obsessive need to LOL, who has the experience, wisdom, and patience to teach me. Let this grasshopper not inflict harm on others, not cause undue stress and not harm the environment that I am blessed to be in. And forgive me (insert diety of choice), when my inner pitbull gets its nose out of joint and I start beating a dead horse. And above all else, please forgive LB . . he didn't mean to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom