Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evidently there are others in the Tampa Bay area who do not share your feeling about Stinggirl being welcome at the M&G's

Sean

Thank all of you that are still welcoming. I guess you understood that I was not putting anyone down. Just that I've been unable to find someone to go out to on a regular basis. Maybe due to schedules not clicking or that I may not have the skills for a particular type of dive. Not because no one wanted to dive with me. I hope IDive keeps an open mind and gets to know me so we can get pass this. He was very considerate with me when I had problems with equipment.

Yesterday I posted to her that she is welcome to go to any M&G. They are set-up for everyone. Just like the shore dives are that I and others set-up. I also pm'd her and posted to her about joining our local dive shop to give her more opportunities to find people at her level that she could grow with. In turn she told me I was trying to throw her off of SB :confused: I then assured her that was not the case that both the lds and SB are tools. I also posted the prices and benefits available to her if she does join the LDS. I had to call to find out - as she didn't take the time to do it. I also pm'd her last week and posted to her yesterday boats that cater to less experienced divers, offer a full-service DM, and she could gain more experience with, and that have easy on and off access. I also pm'd her last week about a new member that had joined that was a perfect match as a buddy for her.

Many others have done the same as I over the last two summers to help her and encourage her. After all of this she calls the other members unkind! After they have bent over backwards to help. I can't fathom what more we could or should do. No matter what is tried she is still upset... pm's nasty indignent messages and cries she is being left out or picked on.:confused: Just like she flew to this thread and said it was about her :shakehead: I have always pm'd and been as kind as possible but there is only so much one can do.

Honestly, I have to say I am very sad to see this thread is still going on. Though the OP did not intend to single StingGirl out (they don't even know each other), StingGirl has made it about her. With the way this thread has carried on... StingGirl must have hurt feelings. I'm guessing she wishes now she hadn't thrown her hat in, yet again, but it is too late now. That said, out of respect for her as a person, can this thread just not die?

Tracy, not everything you said is true, let's be honest. Yes you have giving me the names and numbers of charters, No you did not tell me of a member that I can go out with. And as far as the prices for the lds goes I went personally to it myself to inquire. You posted the information but I had already gone to it. I appreciate you found out the prices but I did look for myself. This is something you just assumed I didn;t do. I have not been on the board for two summers. I joined at the end of last summer. I woould like for you and I to get pass this. Yes I had hurt feelings. But I pm'd you if you though I was just being too sensitive before this thread even got started. Remember?? Obviously I misunderstood everyones intentions. HOW MANY TIMES AND WAYS CAN I APOLOGIZE, SO THAT I CAN DO IT AND WE CAN JUST GET PASS THIS?:shakehead:

No matter what is tried she is still upset... pm's nasty indignent messages and cries she is being left out or picked on.

Funny how you're the only one who ever seems to get these "nasty" messages from people. Though I obviously haven't received any nasty messages lately, all I've seen from her are repeated apologies and attempts at understanding the meanspiritedness about less-than-perfect divers.

StingGirl must have hurt feelings. I'm guessing she wishes now she hadn't thrown her hat in, yet again, but it is too late now. That said, out of respect for her as a person, can this thread just not die?

I'd have hurt feelings too if I openly admitted to my shortcomings and continued to get berated repeatedly by someone who is supposed to be a "guide" here on the board.

....it doesn't die because you continue to respond with "your" viewpoint only, speaking for multiple people. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Stinggirl, PM on the way.

HOW MANY TIMES AND WAYS CAN I APOLOGIZE, SO THAT I CAN DO IT AND WE CAN JUST GET PASS THIS?:shakehead:

My recommendation.....stop posting in this thread. I have seen you "apologize" (not always in so many words though) but then continue to shoot the people you are apologizing to. If you want to dive, stop posting in here, PM SOMEONE and ask them when they can dive with you. Get a date and time. Then dive. Then ask about the next time. Then dive again. Joyce had the best idea which really is so simple....go to your dive shop and say "I want to dive. Do you have anybody that is going out anytime soon?" Ask about other patrons that may want a buddy. Get yourself out there but stop coming in here and saying nobody is ever willing to help. Forget about "ON A REGULAR BASIS" for now. Get the first date out of the way before you plan your wedding. Again, once you get that first dive in, ask about a second. Ask other people. You might have to work your schedule around someone else's if you really want to dive. Bottom line is, when you come in here and alienate those that have at least offered assistance, you are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited:
<snip>

I don't go out often, on charter boats, but when I do I usually have to let the DMs know that I will handle my own gear (tech thing). If I don't, and I turn around for more than 20 seconds, I will turn back around and all my stuff will be set up. That is part of what DMs get paid/tipped for.

<snip>

I don't think DMs should be abused either. Their job, however, is to help on the boat (and for many charters that includes setting customer's gear up). If you don't like that then don't try to change the job, find a new one that fits what you enjoy.

RockJock3 - Not sure of your breadth of experience and travel, but from my experience, along the east coast of the US, including NJ, NC, and FL, on most dive charters the DM's are NOT expected to set up anyone's gear and do not get in the water to lead divers. They will generally assist with loading and unloading, but the responsibility is on the diver.

RockJock3 - Not sure of your breadth of experience and travel, but from my experience, along the east coast of the US, including NJ, NC, and FL, on most dive charters the DM's are NOT expected to set up anyone's gear and do not get in the water to lead divers. They will generally assist with loading and unloading, but the responsibility is on the diver.
Not, not been to the east coast... But the dive master's don't get in the water to lead dives?!?!

Soooo, what do they do?

Every operation I have ever worked for or managed, the dive masters lead the dives. If they didn't, I wouldn't need them, would sure save me a lot of payments on salary though :D

Serious question though, what do they do? If they don't lead dives why does the boat need a dive master? I assume for a dive briefing and to be on hand in case of an emergency?!

DM's are on the boat, assist divers if needed. A lot of the dives here are wreck dives, IMHO these dives are simple get in, swim around, get out dives. In the carib and other locals DM's are cool because they point out the little reef critters you wouldn't normally see swimming along the reef . . .

and yes to handle the dive brief and any emergencies. . .

Serious question though, what do they do? If they don't lead dives why does the boat need a dive master? I assume for a dive briefing and to be on hand in case of an emergency?!

That is what they seem to be around for locally. Never seen a DM get in the water for a boat dive and the captain always does the dive briefing, not the DM. Their role seems to be:
-helping anyone with a gear problem such as tangled hoses, can't reach drysuit hose and so on, not there for switching tanks, lifting tanks, putting fins on and so forth, though a few times they've handed me up extra tanks or stages when I've been getting out of the boat so I don't have to jump back on. This is not expected though.
-dropping the shot
-taking details of dive plans i.e. max depth, BT, RT, mix used, stops
-helping people find buddies if they've shown up alone
-checking everyone's air is on (they watch SPG/computer whilst you breathe off all your regs on the main charter here)
-tying the boat to the pier when docking
-grabbing SMBs off people when they are being picked up by the boat
-serving milo and biscuits after the dive
-getting people to sign their dive plan after the dive
-being able to assist with first aid and O2 if required in an emergency

On most charters there seems to be the captain and one DM (who does not get in the water). Some boats only have a captain.

<snip>

I've been on two boats in FL that had DMs on board but neither got in the water. I don't recall either giving a dive briefing... the captain did that. One didn't even really help with any gear so I guess they're there primarily in case of an emergency. One DID tie off on a wreck though but the other charter, I've only been out with them twice, did drift dives only so the DM never even got her pinkie toe wet. And then, of course, being a tipping country, divers are expected to tip. For what? I'm not sure but it's one of the reasons I'm turned off on tipping... (still do it though)

Not, not been to the east coast... But the dive master's don't get in the water to lead dives?!?!

Soooo, what do they do?

Every operation I have ever worked for or managed, the dive masters lead the dives. If they didn't, I wouldn't need them, would sure save me a lot of payments on salary though :D

The dive master does provide the briefing, organizes the divers and handles getting everyone in and out of the water. Additionally, in places like NJ & NC where there are no mooring balls on the wrecks, the DM will be the first person in the water, tie the anchor line to the wreck and then provide current condition information during the briefing.

On some boats the DM doesn't get a salary, they work strictly for tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom