Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Carmen! I don't disagree with you. Just wish OP had addressed an issue with the diver(s) at hand instead of a rant on SB to a 'general population' of divers.

If we want better insta-buddies someone has to take them by the hand and help them. Not all will listen, not all will learn, but most will.

And I just wish certain people didn't take the literal definition of every individual word used by the OP in the context of a particular subset of divers and twist it so they could turn the thread into a flame war that looked more like the script of a group of seven year olds arguing on the playground. Sad... :shakehead:

The "person" Carmen described is exactly the person that came into my mind when I read the first post. And there might be a specific reason this was posted in the Tampa section. I'm just saying.... :popcorn:

Hey Carmen! I don't disagree with you. Just wish OP had addressed an issue with the diver(s) at hand instead of a rant on SB to a 'general population' of divers.

If we want better insta-buddies someone has to take them by the hand and help them. Not all will listen, not all will learn, but most will.

Hi Pam :D!

I know. However, it sure made you all sit up and think about being better divers while ranting on her though, didn't it?? :rofl3:

at the risk of ensuring my ban:

Here is OP's info from her intro post earlier this year bold and underline added:

PS I'm not knocking Padi - just the inactive part

Why would you post looking to be banned? Also, many retire from teaching for a variety of reasons. Assuming it is for something bad is a terrible assumation to make.

When I first read this thread I felt so hurt and betrayed. But now after reading the replies I feel much better. You see, I was certified 2 yrs ago and don't have alot of experience because I've been unable to find a dive buddy. I also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia,(I'm in my middle 40's) but I refuse to let my medical condition control me. I try REALLY HARD to carry my own "weight". But I do need more assistant than most. That's why I'm willing to carpool and drive and pay for the gas. I figure that's worth something. Or maybe I can buy you luch or dinner or drinks. It doesn't matter. I will show my gratitude. I don't expect "something" for "nothing".

A potential kind dive buddy. But can't seem to find one.

Rachel, SG's post has nothing to do with you specifically. She dives A LOT and encounters amny, many different people. As usual though, you have made it about yourself. :shakehead: Mine and your issue was not posted for board consumption. I, respectfully, kept that to pm's between you and I. That said, if you can not get on and off a particular boat... That is a problem. And since I care for everyone's safety... I'm sorry you find that picking on you or unkind.

Further, many, many good people from this area have tried time and again to assist you. I can name several off of the top of my head, myself included. I'm sure they are surprised by this remark but you are entitled to your opinion. I'll say no more but please don't bother asking for my advice again.

Would love to know what shop you work for because I absolutely would not do business with them. It is very relevant. But I suspect that is why you aren't providing it - or you don't actually work at one.

You said more then enough words.

Sweetheart, we all see clearly how well the shoe fits ya.

Others have heard this from me before, but I'll repeat it. You probably had some valid points that got lost because of the way you presented your thoughts. If you post crap, expect crap. If you want a disucssion - learn how to frame an argument without coming across as a . . . well . . . I'll leave it at that.

:shakehead:

This is a diving board not a journalism class. I think you stated once you didn't care for her presentation... 'nough said, no?

Additionally, when you have been around the diving world a lil longer you will find there are those that need a lil help. For instance my good friend's back was hurt for a while. We all pitched in and carried tanks. Heck we fell over ourselves wanting to help her :) That though is very different from doing everything for someone. Often it is not even safe if they don't even know what you are doing.

I believe that is the point SG was trying to make - one must know how to take care of themselves and take responsibility for their dive from beginning to end and not expect to be "taken care of from beginning to end". Help - yes. :)

And fwiw, I know for a fact this OP helps with newbs. Helping or showing the ropes is different than what many of you are trying to state she meant. Another wasted thread is what we have now.

Having the goon squad come out is what makes a thread useless drivel that many don't want to be a part of. Keep it in the "chat/goof off threads" please.

I see the Scubaboard lynch mob was out in full force today :mooner:

Big time! :doh2:

And I just wish certain people didn't take the literal definition of every individual word used by the OP in the context of a particular subset of divers and twist it so they could turn the thread into a flame war that looked more like the script of a group of seven year olds arguing on the playground. Sad... :shakehead:
Guilty. I tend to take most things very literally. :shrug:

"I also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia,(I'm in my middle 40's)"

And you are an avid diver? Dang, now I have to quit whining about my plain ol' osteoarthritis and knee replacement..........:D My hat's off to you, Stinggirl!!
Yes, I have rheumaoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. There are days that I cant' even get out of bed. This "flare ups" have become more frequently. A couple of times a month and i usually last 3days. Then I'm fine, like nothing happen. But I do whine (to my wonderful husband) not on the board. These conditions make it hard to tote my equipment but not to the point where the person I'm diving with me has to do everything. It's only the things that were taught in ow. You help your buddy suit up and then he helps you. That's how I was taught. I don't ecpect more than that. I even bought a total gym to build me upper body strenght. Some people give me credit for continuing to dive and others wish I would just get out of the way.

Why would you post looking to be banned? Also, many retire from teaching for a variety of reasons. Assuming it is for something bad is a terrible assumation to make.

Rachel, SG's post has nothing to do with you specifically. She dives A LOT and encounters amny, many different people. As usual though, you have made it about yourself. :shakehead: Mine and your issue was not posted for board consumption. I, respectfully, kept that to pm's between you and I. That said, if you can not get on and off a particular boat... That is a problem. And since I care for everyone's safety... I'm sorry you find that picking on you or unkind.

Further, many, many good people from this area have tried time and again to assist you. I can name several off of the top of my head, myself included. I'm sure they are surprised by this remark but you are entitled to your opinion. I'll say no more but please don't bother asking for my advice again.

This is a diving board not a journalism class. I think you stated once you didn't care for her presentation... 'nough said, no?

Additionally, when you have been around the diving world a lil longer you will find there are those that need a lil help. For instance my good friend's back was hurt for a while. We all pitched in and carried tanks. Heck we fell over ourselves wanting to help her :) That though is very different from doing everything for someone. Often it is not even safe if they don't even know what you are doing.

I believe that is the point SG was trying to make - one must know how to take care of themselves and take responsibility for their dive from beginning to end and not expect to be "taken care of from beginning to end". Help - yes. :)

And fwiw, I know for a fact this OP helps with newbs. Helping or showing the ropes is different than what many of you are trying to state she meant. Another wasted thread is what we have now.

Having the goon squad come out is what makes a thread useless drivel that many don't want to be a part of. Keep it in the "chat/goof off threads" please.

Big time! :doh2:

Why do you keep bringing up "if I can't get in and out of a boat"? That has never come up. Most of my dives has been from boats. Don't continue saying that you've try to help me when that has not been the case. And Bob is the one of the few who offered to work with me so that I can build on my skills and confidence. Which thanks to Divebandit I've done. Ask him he'll let you know I'm not the kind of diver you think I am. I thought we were somewhat friends. I've been there when you've needed me. Outside the water that is. Remember those time. I did it out of friendship. And what in the world do you when you stated "that as usual I've made it about me"? Now you are not being honest and making me look bad.Please don't continue to do that. I wouldn't post lies about anyone.

The "person" Carmen described is exactly the person that came into my mind when I read the first post. And there might be a specific reason this was posted in the Tampa section. I'm just saying.... :popcorn:

Not trying to twist anything or be childish I just think the OP was a little harsh and could have chose her phrasing a little better. or since you say it might be a specific person contact them directly, Not make a broad statement about new or learning or a certain group of divers

"Are you a vacation diver? are you just not sure of normal boat ettiqutte, does your car/suv/truck smell like anything other than moldy scuba gear? "

and "IF you are not experienced enough(be honest with yourself..or ask me..I'm not shy..I'll tell you straight up), have ongoing health issues, or are for whatever reason you feel 'dependent' on others for you to have a good dive...the best possible solution would be for you to ONLY dive on larger boats, and hire a DM for your personal assistance. Your friends DO NOT want to carry your gear (yes ladies that means you too) They are there to enjoy diving..not spend their day worried about if YOU can finish the dive...or the day."

Those are the statements I think that ticked people off. not the literal definition of a few specific words

Experience comes with actually doing and for the most part the newbies I've run into on boats dont know proper etiquette sometimes because it changes from boat to boat and they will never know if someone doesnt help them. you were a newbie once too. did you hire a Dm everytime you were unsure or needed someones help!

The people I dive with would do whatever it takes to make sure i have a good dive because that's what I would do for them that includes carrying gear and I am happy to carry their tanks if thats what it takes. Its called being a good buddy but also being a good human being! I depend on my buddies and they depend on me because nobody is perfect, everyone makes mistakes everyone needs help once in a while
Again not trying to flame but that's kinda what the OP was doing and she got called on it. I just think there could have been a more constructive way to get the her message out. Btw it was nice to meet you at the ITK pig roast.
P.s. I own a place just north o Tampa (Springhill wikkiwatchee area)thats why I was in this area of SB

Last edited:
Rich people express themselves in many tones. Some tones click with one person but maybe not the next person. Pick your threads. Berrating someone over and over because you don't like their tone or how they express themselves well...

To be honest, many people simply do not realize that some boats are not "full service" if you will (what some refer to as vacaction boats) and this thread may have been an eye-opener for them. Maybe. But then to see a large group go on attack and repeat what the one prior to them stated... If anything, I believe, you have taught them to steer clear of posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom