Can you still buy Cipro in Coz w/o seeing a dr there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I very much appreciate posters' comments, but, freely available, broad spectrum, oral antibiotics available without prescription, contribute to the pressing worldwide public health catastrophe of antibiotic resistance. Due to excessive antibiotic exposure, there are bacteria no longer treatable with available antibiotics. Even common, community-acquired infections such as urinary tract infection and traveler's diarrhea can no longer be confidently be treated with frequently used antibiotics such as trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or fluoroquinolones (ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, others).

There are many possible adverse effects of antibiotic use, both infectious and non-infectious, including Clostridium difficile infection, allergic reaction (including anaphylaxis), and others such as the black box warning (highest level warning) for tendinitis and tendon rupture for the fluoroquinolones. There is also the risk of drug interactions with medications already being taken.

For generic antibiotics manufactured outside the US, there may also be a risk of contamination or decreased potency secondary to inadequate manufacturing quality and/or oversight.

Please think about your antibiotic consumption, both the source and the indication(s). Prudent antibiotic utilization may stabilize or start to reduce the serious resistance problems we currently face.

Good, infection free, diving,

Craig

Good reminder SD. Antibiotics are certainly abused in various ways and I am sure that restricting them in Mexico was a needed call. I have acquired them there to use in the manner prescribed by doctors in the past, perhaps more than I should have, but they should never be used without doctors orders.

I've known cowboys who used livestock drugs on themselves and DMs who used Cipro, often incorrectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom