Cancun Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odys

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My Fiancé and I just got back from a trip to Cancun. I have to thank SB folks first and foremost for directing me to ScorpioDivers.com. Ben and Jorge run a class "A" operation. We stayed at the Royal Sands (nice place, basically an apartment with a full kitchen) for the week in Cancun. Scorpio provided pick up and drop off every day from my hotel at no charge. There had been great communication via email, and I received a call from them to my hotel the day I landed.

Day 1 - Puerto Morelos - 2 great dives. The C56 was a neat experience as my lady had never done a wreck. We dove a reef afterwards that had plenty of marine life to see. The town is a lazy place, very relaxing. We put down some amazing fish/shrimp tacos and beers with Ben afterward.

Day 2 - Cancun C-58 wreck. Spotted Eagles, big Eels, and a Lionfish. This was almost like two dives as we swam a distance to the bow of the ship as a recent hurricane ripped it in two. We followed with a nice reef dive. The reefs in Cancun are under rated. There is plenty of life to see. Jorge was great.

Day 3 - Two deep reefs in the morning. Saw two Nurse Sharks up close and personal. This was the first ocean dive for a guy with us... I'm sure he's now hooked for life! Ben was our guide in the morning. We did two more tanks in the afternoon at Isla Mujeres with Jorge. Shallow reefs with a lot of bottom time. They have sunk some statues recently that added to the scenery.

Day 4 - Chichen Itza. Off gas. We did a small 10 passenger van trip from our resort and beat the hordes of tourists that arrive in the afternoon. We had never been and it was a pretty cool day out of the water.

Day 5 - Back to Isla Mujeres with Ben. Another ez day with a lot of bottom time. I tried out Ben's "Compensator" fins. Although about 5 feet long, they are definitely better for ocean diving. I might resurrect my old US Diver Blades for future ocean trips.

Day 6 - Cenotes with Jorge and Gonzalo another special day. My Fiancé had never been in a cenote. Her first experience was "The Pit." After a short hike with full gear in to the site we got to look at the jump we had heard about. Pretty fun. With both made the jump in. Scorpio's cave guide Gonzalo was quite a character. Super good dude with thousands of logged cave dives. There is plenty if info out on this dive (YouTube etc) but nothing does it justice. Definitely a must do dive if you are ever on the Yucatan. Afterwards we had a long shallow dive in Dos Ojos - Barbie. We all stopped for fish/shrimp tacos at a great place in Playa on the way home. Later that evening Jorge stopped by with his buddy Wil to drop off a couple shirts for me (represent.) We ended up having some drinks and going into town for dinner with them. A nice way to spend our last night in Cancun.

All and all, I couldn't be happier with ScorpioDivers.com. Ben and Jorge really made the trip special. They truly love to dive and it shows. I've been on quite a few trips and went with multiple different shops but none compare to these guys. I'm wrapping up my instructor in a couple months and plan on taking new and experienced divers down to dive with my new friends.

Chris Langehaug
SLC, UT

To contact Scorpio:
ScorpioDivers.com
ScorpioDivers@gmail.com
Ben@scorpiodivers.com

Great trip report, Chris. Glad you had a good time. With those guys, it's not a business/client relationship. It's a friendship right out of the chute.

Yeah, those are some huge fins Ben has....haha. I always take stiff fins down there for the current. Man, I've been in some rippers down there.

Good luck with the instructor cert! So, you gonna move to Cancun then? :D

Thanks! We have a 5-7 year plan to unass our houses and jobs. Basically find a small hotel/bar/dive shop that the lady can entertain (market/host/serve crazy drinks) and I can run the dive op. Not sure where we will land yet. We have LOTS of vacations/diving to do to figure it out. Traveling makes our trips that much more enjoyable as "potential" places to live.

When I get my UT based business up and running this fall I plan on taking clients down to dive with Ben and Jorge. I was that impressed with them!

Just curious, is this the Ben & Jorge that used to be with Mayna aqua Divers (MAD)?

Great post!!! I think we will also be diving with Ben in November! So excited! Since our one DSD in Cancun last year, we've been diving dry in 50-55f water in Monterrey, CA. I can't wait to get back in the warm water!

Kryss,

you couldn't pick a better group to dive with in Cancun. We got back last month from Cancun and dived/dove with Ben. He just makes it fun. It is a simple as that. The fish and shrimp tacos are a must. The best I have eaten. :D

We will be back down as soon as my brother comes back from overseas.

Good luck with that, Chris! Does the SO dive too? Mine doesn't so she was a dive widow everytime we'd go down.

I still dive in Cancun, but have all but given up in PA. I have a hole in the tendon of my left shoulder and the drysuit contortions just aggravate the heck out of it. I sold my doubles and bought a Road King...:D

Yep she's a badass. I logged 18 dives and she logged 8 this trip. She even jumped into "The Pit" (without gear.) She got a shiner from her fin hitting her in the eye and laughed it off. Too bad on the dry suit, I've never tired one. Will most likely give it a shot this coming winter and do some ice diving here. There is plenty of opportunity to hunt as well. When I lived in Panama in the early 90s I hunted a lot.

Kryss,

you couldn't pick a better group to dive with in Cancun. We got back last month from Cancun and dived/dove with Ben. He just makes it fun. It is a simple as that. The fish and shrimp tacos are a must. The best I have eaten. :D

We will be back down as soon as my brother comes back from overseas.

It all sounds wonderful- I love a good fish taco. We are every excited! We got the advice to book with Ben from the people here on SB :)

Back
Top Bottom